85 Colony Park - Now What - update

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by MAK, Jan 21, 2017.

1. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Morning all
    Took delivery On Jan 6th, drove the car 20 miles and dropped off to dealer to-look over. I was gone for business the next week - so picked it on Monday and parked it in the driveway - won't fit in garage err - My wife came home from work and "what is that in the driveway" told her it's my new car! she replied "your Nuts!"
    and that was it, I thought I got off real easy (been married 39 years) was dreading this, for years told her that I was going to get another big wagon - for years have been told no you are not!

so now that, that is done here is what I found
    First - dealer found slight intake leak and drive belts should be changed - that's all they found, but question how hard they looked?

> Car passed VA inspection with no problem or cost
    > All the idiot lights - parking; fuel; engine etc. lights work, all windows work, Heat AC work; flashers, side
    lights and head lights work - BUT at night the dash is dark along with the temp control, but radio is lit?
    Hoping it's only the fuse _ Advice?
    > Shocks definitely have to be replaced
    > Lens covering Speed o dirty on inside - perhaps when I look at fuses - take this off and clean - but have no idea how to take it off? Advice?
    > Rust on bottom of doors little worse that my initial inspection - but don't think it goes thru - hope is eternal
    > Clock doesn't work or light up - fuse?
    > front widow guides - used to be plastic coated are now just steel, Recoat?

That's it so far folks - drove the car about 200 miles this week, have a friend that collects Porsche's he dorove
    and thought it was a blast - more unique that his Porsches - his mechanic actually works on 40 -60's American cars but is certified Porsche mechanic - taking the car to him next week to make sure it really is ok to drive
    thanks for listening

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

A) Dash lights have a 5 amp fuse in the fuse block underneath the dash, but turn H/L switch knob back and forth several times in case the rheostat is dirty;
    B) Address the lens only if you have to remove the cluster for burned-out bulbs. I just clean them with a dab of dishsoap and hot water on a soft cloth, no paper towels;
    C) Check the fuseblock, then if the fuse is good and you are going after removing the instrument cluster, all the dash trim has to come off, so you can get to the clock at the same time.

When you refer to the 'front window guides,' are you referring to the felts? And the instrument cluster's a pain. If you don't need to address it in any way, don't touch it. My friend Steven has an '87 Grand Marq, and we had to take most of the trim off just to replace the tripminder and put in a stereo system. Lots of screws. Shocks, you can get good ones thru Amazon (Steven went ahead and got rear air shocks along with an onboard air pump kit, plus front ones, and his Grand Marq rides so nicely now), since there are still plenty of rigs out there, if the rust is all the way through the metal, you can get replacements. Just remember, though, that the wagon and sedan rear doors are not the same shape around the windows.