Well I just got Stupid and bought a new toy car.

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by cammerjeff, Nov 22, 2016.

1. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

My wife is checking to make sure my life insurance is paid up LOL (I hope)

Its a 2006 Pontiac Solstice, converted my Mallet with a LS2 V-8, 5-speed Manual and only 18,000 miles. Here is a link to it on the dealerships website,

http://www.sweetcars.com/inventory_detail.php?id=11759

I wanted another Convertible, and was looking at a new Fiat 124 Arbath, or a Miata and I just started searching to see if any LS Solstices were up for sale, and this one popped up about 4 hours away from me. Quite a bit less than a new Fiat or Miata. Not the best time of year to sell a convertible in the upper Midwest so I think I got a great deal.

Looks Like it has the preferred package as it still has working A/C but it looks like it still has stock Wheels/Tires & Brakes. Those may need to be upgraded!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eagle Freek likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I thought the Mallett conversions had upgraded brakes while still using factory tires and wheels? And I agree--the Solstice and Sky should've had factory V6 and V8 engines, with a liftoff/tilt front clip.

3. cammerjeff

Well I actually spoke to Chuck Mallet yesterday (I could not believe he answered the phone when I called his shop). He told me they have the stock wheels and brakes unless the optional big brakes were purchased. Evedently they only made 12 sets of the Mallet 19" wheels so believe it or not by the time they converted my car (#024) they were no longer available. He said he did keep records but they are all paper and were put in storage when they moved the shop in 2007 so they are not readily available.
    Hoping to pick it up this Tuesday it supposedly has all the paperwork with it so I will know what if any additional options it has then,
    Biggest issue is Financing, as the NADA value of the car is only $10,000 as the VIN comes up as a standard 2.4 5-speed car. even with my large down payment it is still coming up about $4000 short. I have a couple of options left so I don't think it will be an issue.
    And I agree I always thought these cars should have at least had the 250hp version of the DOHC 3.6 V6 or the 5.3 V8 but I guess I should just be happy they made it into production at all.
    I will be sure to post some pictures when I do get it home.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't know how they got the LS in that little thing.....

That should be a fun ride....

Congratulations, Jeff!

5. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

why a 5 speed and not the 6 speed that would have come with the ls in a camaro or vette?

bet it is a handfull!

6. cammerjeff

They use the stock 5-speed that came in the N/A 2.4 cars. so it would have taken quite a bit more to put the T56 in them. I sure it was a Cost issue. They used new LS2 Crate engines and they came with a standard GM 3 year warranty. As the conversion cost an additional $21,000 over the price of the new car, so they averaged around $48-50,000 when new. Far above what I could have pain in 2006-2008 when they were made.
    While browsing a couple of Solstice/Sky sites I see many people have swapped in LS7/T56 combo's into there cars. So it is possible. But I will keep the 5-speed. I may want to swap out the rear gears from the stock 3.93 to something more highway friendly 3.23. It sounds like 1st gear is only good for about 5mph with the stock gears, and pull around 3800 RPM at 80mph.
    I found out the LS engine is only 100lbs heavier than the Ecotech and just 1/2" taller and 4"'s wider so they should fit in the same engine compartment.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

100 pounds. Funny how that works....

OK, I had thought I read somewhere all the cars were built up with brake upgrades (it is vitally important to be able to stop as fast as accelerate in a performance car), but if the big man himself said not all were upgraded, I'd be looking for the parts necessary for that upgrade.

8. cammerjeff

I think I will be looking at brake upgrades, I already know it will needs tires this spring, it looks to have the original Goodyears on them, and besides the fact the me and Goodyear performance tires don't get along very well, the tires are 11 years old.
    I also looked it up and it has not had the ignition switch recall done to it so that will have to done before driving it this spring.
    Good news is it looks like the financing and insurance are in place (the insurance is actually $18 a year cheaper than my 97 Firebird convertible was! Go figure?
    Looks like Tuesday will be the day as long as the weather holds

9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Dang that is cool! I agree completely with the previously mentioned statements about the car not being offered with a proper V8 from the factory. It seems it is just one more example of how GM missed the boat with these cars. They had the look, but didn't have the performance to back it up. It's a shame. Things like this could have helped save Pontiac.

Either way, congrats on your new ride. I hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

When are we going for a ride in it?

J/K, I know for a fact I do not fit in, and even if I did and could close the door, my head would be above the upper windshield. Everyone would know that I'd be the enthusiastic passenger by all the bugs on my teeth.

11. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Nice find. I didn't know about those conversions though I always liked the looks of the Solstice. That will be a blast to drive.

12. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Wow! That was a stupid move. Sounds like you got a heck of a car at a decent price. I'd even gotten stupid and bought it. Probably won't need the AC for a few months.
    Our problem is with our aging legs, we could get in but could never get back out. I could live in it if the heater works. :)

13. cammerjeff

Thanks Guys, ModelT1 may be close enough to get a ride! LOL!!!! But you guys out in the great NW are a bit to far for me to drive to.

It is looking good for picking it up tomorrow, the loan money arrived in my account so now I just have to pick it and my Father in Law up so he can drive my truck home. The weather is supposed to be dry, partly sunny and almost 60 degrees tomorrow!

I really do not want to trailer it the 3 hours home,

ModelT1 likes this.
  14. Silvertwinkiehobo

You lucky sonofagun! That top better be down when you drive it home!

15. cammerjeff

I post some pic's after I get it home, and Believe it or not I actually did something corrtly when it comes to insurance purposes. If I had bought a owner Modified, or even a car that was converted by Chuck Mallet used the car would be considered "modified" by the insurance company. But because it was Modified and Sold New after the modifications, and is one of the numbered cars it is considered "stock" the difference is about $380 a year for insurance.

I have never done something correctly insurance wise in my like! LOL I must be getting old as my Wife is suggesting over and over!

ModelT1 likes this.