Long time lurker, finally found my dream wagon!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by elwoody1973, Nov 3, 2016.

1. elwoody1973

elwoody1973 Crazy for Clamshells

Hello there fellow wagon lovers! So I've had this account for like 8 years, and as everyone knows, life does its best to keep you distracted and preoccupied, but now I'm here for good!

Wagons have always been an integral part of my automotive life. Like most, if not all of us here, my siblings and I spent our formative years fighting over seat position in my Mom's 80's Buick Estate Wagons-we went through at least three of them because Dad couldn't seem to stop wrecking them! Our longest relationship was with a 1993 Buick Roadmaster Wagon that served us faithfully for close to a decade and about 200k before finally succumbing to the inevitable, an SUV.

I had started the account originally as a teenager when my Dad still owned 3 classic station wagons- a 1972 Chrysler Town and Country, 1973 Olds Custom Cruiser, and a 1976 Buick Estate Wagon. Now, after owning a Roadmaster wagon of my own, I have finally procured my dream station wagon: a 1971 Olds Custom Cruiser.

Doing a light forum search for Custom Cruiser threads, it looks like my new wagon had been shared here after someone discovered it on CL. Some of you may recognize my avatar picture, as it is one from the seller's craigslist ad. The gentleman I have purchased it from has owned it since 1973 when he bought it as a dealer trade in with less than 10k miles. He told me his wife was sure she was going to end up burying him in this wagon, and that even though he retired it from daily hauler duty about 15 years ago when he bought a new Suburban, he couldn't bring himself to part with the ol' girl, until now.

His primary concern was finding someone who would enjoy the wagon and also ideally restore her to her former glory. I told him that my 71 Olds 98 was my first car, and jokingly that its the longest steady relationship I've managed to stay in-13 years and counting, with no desire to part. After a couple phone conversations with the owner, getting to know him and ensure him that I was a suitable caretaker for his beloved woodgrain-clad behemoth, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and one that was nowhere near the $10k asking price, and now all I'm waiting on is to have her picked up from Washington and brought to her new home in Chicago!

If I haven't put you all to sleep by now, I will gladly share good pictures of her once she arrives. I'll tell you that I appreciate your welcoming and taking the time to read this novel in advance, as I'm just so incredibly excited about this wagon that I had to vent some of my excitement!

Here's looking forward to becoming a more active part of this community!

Cheers!
    Bob

fannie and Eagle Freek like this.
  2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Let me be the first to welcome you and your newly acquired Longroof back into the mix! I've been searching for a mid-60's gm wagon for a few years now. Hope you get many years of enjoyment from your new ride!

3. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :welcomewagon: to the forum Bob! Very nice intro and great story! Oh, and I love your taste in wagons! I too grew up in GM wagons, Chevrolet Caprices to be specific. The first I can remember was a '72 blue/blue sans the woodgrain, followed by a loaded maroon/tan '76, then followed by a tan/dark brown '83. It was the '83 in which he taught me how to drive. I've been fortunate enough to somewhat mimic his buying trend; for about 7 years I owned a '75 and I now have an '87. Oh, and I grew up in CNY as well.

Anyway, glad to have you aboard! Can't wait to see pics of your Olds when it arrives!

Matt

4. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome Bob!

5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard. It looks like that is a solid car. I hope it serves you well.

6. elwoody1973

elwoody1973 Crazy for Clamshells

Thanks so much you guys! I really am thrilled. I'm chomping at the bit to get the wagon here and start pouring over every inch of her!

fannie likes this.
  7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: aboard.
    Your intro was perfect and an interesting read. Your excitement is obvious and understandable. :yippee:

Are you going to pick up you new baby or is she being shipped?:dancing:
    Looking forward to meeting our latest member of the community.:jumping:

Congratulations. :dance: