Exterior door handles

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by zzzizxz, Oct 19, 2016.

1. zzzizxz

zzzizxz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey all!

I've now had two exterior door handles break on my 81 Bonneville Safari. The rear passenger wasn't too high priority, but as of this morning, my driver front handle is broken.

Does anyone know which handles I need? I'm seeing what looks like two kinds at Rockauto.
    https://www.1aauto.com/exterior-door-handle-pair/i/1adhs00005?f=279382&y=1981
    And
    https://www.1aauto.com/exterior-door-handle-pair/i/1adhs00080?f=364690&y=1981

Does anyone have any directions on exactly what I need to do to replace them?

Also, since I'll have all the panels off, should I plan on replacing all the power window and lock regulators at that time?

Thanks!

2. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's just two nuts behind the door panel and a rod that attaches to the lock mechanism. You may have to remove part of the window tracks to get access to it. Do the job with the window fully raised.

Either of those door handles probably works, I'd go with the one that claims to be a direct dealer replacement part (2nd link) because it looks very close to the original door handle.

Replacing window regulators is a major task and if you've never done it before, I'd advise not to until you absolutely have to. I would suggest replacing the grease in the tracks as after 30+ years it's likely hard and gooey (I did my '73 and it went up and down MUCH smoother and faster). There's not much to the lock system, just make sure everything is lubed up inside the latch and pivot points.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Let me add, when lubing a regulator, get a can of silicone spray with a 'needle' hose (don't use it on restored cars, obviously) and spray up and down the felts a couple passes when the window's down. It'll help the glass go up and down, reducing the strain on the motor.

4. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I think they are talking generically. Your windows go up and down via a cogged plastic tape. These get brittle with age and are well worth replacing due to their age. They're kind of a PITA to replace so you should read up on the procedure. They have to be cut to the proper length as they are longer and used on a variety of vehicles.

5. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would avoid Chinesium handles if possible. I can't say that I've ever had this problem, so you should look at what may be causing excessive strain on the handles. In particular, lube the latch mechanism with white lithium grease. I use the spray cans now, instead of the older stick type. You may want to remove the entire mechanism from the door and clean it thoroughly before lubing. I've had to do this on several cars, as road dirt gets into the grease and significantly increases friction in the latch. Also, are the hinge pins worn so the door is dragging on the striker? This also causes excessive load on the handle. Is the striker worn? Replacements are available. Bottom line is that you need to investigate the entire latch system and repair it if you want to stop replacing handles.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think I would be more inclined to go yarding and just spend a few hours dismantling an old car for the parts you need. (Except those window regulator 'tapes'...)

7. zzzizxz

zzzizxz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the help all!