Late '80's Buick Reatta: under appreciated car?

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jim535, Oct 21, 2016.

1. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
    I always thought the design of this cars was very cool. But there doesn't seem to be much collector interest in them. Here's one for $5,995. Buy it now and sell it for triple the money 20 years from now. Or not. Who knows?

Indoor pics aren't great. Too much light reflecting off the body. But a least it's shiny. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seller notes the factory touch screen, but doesn't show any pics of it lit up. So here's one from the web:

[​IMG]

Impressive for late '80s technology.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Reatt...c6c9e429:g:8HEAAOSwUEVYClQu&item=162248909865

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Shockingly heavy and slow. That thing weighs 800 pounds more than my Saturn wagon and has similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

3. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ditto KevinVarnes. The other thing is those "modern" electronics from the late 80's have a very nasty tendency to short and fail, causing the display to die. They're conformal coated too, so repairs are an exceptional pain in the rear. My coworker is an enthusiast and tells me all about the things he's encountered bringing a garaged but lesser driven one back to daily usage.

4. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

X2 on what has been said, not bad cars but not sports cars, I love the description of the powerful 3800, compared to the 4 cylinder Japanese imports of the time, the LN3 version used put out all of 165hp, 210 foot lbs of torque, and was pushing around 3500lbs of car, with lazy gears, compare a 89 Honda prelude, 2.0 liter DOHC engine made 135hp and pushing alittle less than 3000 lbs of car. neither is fast but the Honda will feel quicker, and definatly feel more nimble.
    The Reatta is more of a Cruiser for the retired former Buick Owner or at least an empty nest couple. They are Comfortable and smooth, they look good even today, but looked better compared to the Boxie cars of the time, kinda like 83-86 T-birds back in the day, they looked really good when they came out, but the design didn't age as well as some. Normally a convertible would help, but the convertible version was worse, didn't seal well and had enormous body flex.
    Overall if they would have had the 200 HP version of the 3800 that came out a couple of years later it would have really helped, or the 230-250 hp Supercharged version. But they never got more than the 170 HP version, they do have a lot of interesting tech for the era, but as stated it was newly developed and not that long lasting. They expected to sell 20,000 of them a year, but they only made around 21,000 in 4 years. I drove a few when they were new, and I was not impressed, they were just to slow for me, and I found the touch screen distracting while driving. You really had to concentrate on changing radio stations, or adjusting the A/C.
    My Older Brother had one, he sold it just after the center touch screen display was replaced under warranty, he saw the price of a new display and cringed, he traded it in for a 93 Riviera that was even worse!

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Those fecking touch screens...a PITA to change, expensive as Hell, and nobody wanted to touch one for on-bench 2MER (micro-miniature electronic repair) work.