GM Box wagon experts, check in here....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Krash Kadillak, Nov 5, 2012.

1. chevman66

chevman66 Member

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK, I'm bringing this thread back up to the top.

About 10 months(?) ago, I purchased a set of Pontiac Rally II wheels, with some trim rings (no nuts) to put on the Way Back Machine. They had a shiny maroon background color, so I would have to sand and paint them before putting them on. Stuff happens, and I'm only now getting to that point. The seller wasn't exactly sure what model / year Pontiac they were off of, but they were 15", and they were 5x5", the correct pattern for my '81 Safari. He thought (but wasn't sure) that they came off one of the '71 - '76 generation cars.

There was some previous information that the late 60's Rally II's may have some interference with the disc brake calipers, so I needed to check that for sure. Mounted one (no tire, of course), and there's no interference. What I was surprised to find is that my stock steel wheels that are on the Way Back Machine are 15x7" size. The Rally II's are only 15x6".

On another note, some of you were wondering what color I would paint them. I was thinking white, but now I'm not so sure. What color would they have been had they been on the wagon at the factory? I've seen some painted body color, and others a dark argent grey, with the silver on the 'spokes'. Does anyone know the protocol of when they were body-colored and when they weren't?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    They would have been silver and black like any standard Rally wheel. Almost every single Rally wheel car of the '77-81 vintage I've ever seen has been body colored though, looking at the catalog it doesn't look like there were any other options for it.

4. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Going through the brochures from '77 to '81, I don't find any evidence of color-keyed Rally II wheels in the full-sized line. By the 1980 model year, it looks like they were pushing the cast aluminum wheels (pictured) instead of the Rally II wheels
    [​IMG]

5. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

The original style Pontiac Rally II wheels are argent silver and charcoal grey metallic. I still have a few extra cans of spray paint I ordered from Year One to do the Rally II's on my GTO hardtop 25 years ago. I actually stripped them with paint remover in the laundry tub in the basement, they're now on my goat convertible and still look good.
    They did have the body color keyed wheels with the argent spoke detail in the late 70's but I don't remember them on a full size either?
    You can't go wrong going with the original colors IMO.

6. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would expect them to look like this with the argent and silver:

[​IMG]

I didn't even know Pontiac had body colored rally wheels.

7. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Have seen a few, here and there.
    Firebirds were real big on the matching ones......
    [​IMG]

8. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Color matching the Rally II wheels was available starting around 1975, have had quite a few with that option over the years, they were definatly available on the B-bodies in 77-79 I don't know for sure if it was available after 81 when the 3rd gen F-bodies came out.

9. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looking at the two pictures above I don't think I really care for the body colored wheels. Maybe it is the yellow. Either way I think the argent and silver is the way to go for your car.

10. 63Fowagon

63Fowagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Paint the red area black on those wheels and will look great on your car. I painted mine body color and when I get new tires they will be black and silver just my opinion .

11. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Body colored rally wheels in 1978:

[​IMG]

They did tend to fade differently than the rest of the body though...

12. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

The wheels were only available in body color from '76-'79 so they wouldn't be correct for a '81 Safari, to answer the original question.

13. roketrex

roketrex Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    The 5X5 bolt pattern rally II wheels that came on the early '70s were all 15X6. When Pontiac came out with the 15X7 wheel they were only available on the 77-81 wagons. I just installed a set on my 77 Safari and used VHT aerosols argent(silver) and dark agent(charcoal) which is a little on the light side. They are pictured in my garage pictures. I haven't put the trim rings on them yet(not sure if I will since they match my GTO wheels) and once they are installed, the rims would get scratched, no going back then. I mounted 235/70/15 tires, wish I could have gone wider but the rims wouldn't allow it.

14. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Going with the dark argent / silver. I was a bit worried about the white matching the body, anyway. (Painted my rear fillers what should have been the 'correct' white, and they were a couple of shades off....)

Bought some stripper yesterday. Stripping begins today or tomorrow......

15. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Still haven't cot to the stripping yet. But came across a FB page post that for sure answered my question. Body-colored Rally II's WERE available on the big Pontiacs - at least in 1979. Someone posted a link to a '79 Bonneville Brougham for sale. It has body-colored Rally II's, and a photo of the window sticker was included in the ad. Right on the sticker, it indicates, "Rally II wheels, body-color - $99.00".
    [​IMG]