1987 Pontiac Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, May 23, 2016.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I thought the aero front end GPs went past '87?

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

BTW, that burgundy is a deep burgundy. One of my aunts had a 4-door Cutlass (she's the one I got my '79 Malibu wagon from) that was that same color, and boy, was it ever deep.

4. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

The Ad is correct 87 was the last year for the G-Body GP's and it was only a partial production year very low Numbers (the lowest of any year GP I believe) According to Wiki they started Building the FWD GP's in October of 87 and released them for Sale in January 88. I don't think the RWD Versions would have stayed in Production past December 87. They Sold over 40,000 GP's in a full year of production in 86 so the low 16,000 number makes a lot of sense for a little less than 1/2 year production.

Base 8,599
    Brougham 1,717
    LE 6,226
    Total 16,542

If you are thinking of the 2+2 Fast Backs they were 1986 Model's they were raced until at least 1990 in NASCAR though. All the 1988 GP's were the FWD W-Bodied Cars. That is a nice looking example with the V-8. I don't know what the reserve is but it is nearing the top dollar of around $7.000. It is optioned very well for a Base GP, V-8, A/C, Pwr Windows & Locks, Gauge Package, Rally IV Wheels, Sport Mirrors, Bucket seats and Console.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

I'll always defer to your knowledge of Ponchos, Jeff, but I guess my question should be: if the aero front ends were started in '86, did their production also end in or around December '87?

6. cammerjeff

Andrew, are you talking about this Model?
    [​IMG]
    If so they were 1986 Only for sale to the Public, they still Sold parts to the race teams for several years after though.

7. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Or are you referring to the Monte Carlo and Cutlass that got the one piece "Euro" headlights for their last couple of years? As far as I know the GP kept the same front end from '81-'87.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

I'm talking about the car Jeff posted, specifically, but the 'aero' style was on all four (B/C/O/P). I think only Chev and Olds used the composite headlights, but I could be wrong. As for the 'aero' GP front end, there was an El Camino that belonged to the owner of a tow company that I saw that had one custom-installed.

9. cammerjeff

Its Funny you brought up the GP 2+2 as I actually ordered one in 86, I had just passed my probationary 90 days of my 1st real job with Republic Airlines. So I was going to "treat" myself to a new Pontiac. I assumed it would have the same engine and back window as the Monte SS Aero coupes. When it arrived I was very disappointed as it was going to be my Daily driver for at least as long as it took to pay off the loan on it.
    It had the regular 305 4bbl not the H/O version, and with the much larger rear glass than the Monte version the trunk lid was incredibly small!!!!! I had ordered a full size spare tire and it just barly fit through the trunk opening, but getting it unsecured from the normal stowing spot up under the speaker tray was an unreal experience. I passed on it and only had to do a little fighting to get my $700 deposit back. I think the dealer thought they could sell it for above sticker price fast. When I went by there months later it was still there marked down as the weekly special!
    I could live with the stupid Trunk access now as a sunny day summer driver, but not as my only means of transport as it would have been then. And it would get a 400 or 455 Pontiac V-8.

10. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  11. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Wow! This is pretty nice. Graduating HS in 1988 these GM coupes were everywhere. Funny but they seemed to be especially popular with the Eye-tallian crowd. Lots of GP's and Regals especially. Now when I see a nice one - its like WOW!

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

The GP, especially in Tu-Tone blue, is t!ts. The Regal, except the GNX, is such a staid and not very imaginative style, is more like saggy t!ts on an old lady, who drives the same Regal.

13. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

WOW - surprised at reserve not met at $7200.

[​IMG]

14. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Seller relisted this car. Turned down 7200.00. Wouldn't that be at the high end for one of these? And yep twinkie, the two-tone blue ones were t!ts. I knew someone who had one in those colors with T-tops and buckets and console, and it was a nice ride. I don't know - but I dont see the whole "saggy t!ts" thing with the Regals. Seems most of them I remember were pretty loaded up and nice.

15. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In my opinion, yes. Sure, someone out there may just HAVE to have a particularly optioned car and pay more but $7k or so for a low-mileage extremely nice example of this car is not out of the question. Getting much higher on a non-Monte Carlo SS\GN type car is going to be difficult.