Hi all, just found this forum and thought it would be a great place to learn more about wagons

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by jasoncongo, Apr 12, 2016.

1. jasoncongo

jasoncongo New Member

My wife owns a 1965 Ford Falcon Wagon (4d) which needs quite a bit of work but does run/drive as it sits. Would love to upgrade the engine to a modern 4 or 6 cylinder engine and an automatic transmission for her.

ModelT1 and fannie like this.
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the Station Wagon Forum, Jason.

From what you've posted, my guess is that your Falcon has a 3-speed manual (column shift) and a 170 or 200 cu in. straight 6.
    You could get a small 260 V8 in the Falcon in '64, slightly enlarged to 289 cu in. in '65. I know a lot of 6 cyl Falcons have had later model Mustang V8's installed (basically similar to the 260/289's).

If you didn't want to do the V8 route, you might look into the feasibility of installing the 4.0 liter (244 cu in.) V6 that was installed in A LOT of Mustangs, Ford Explorers, and other vehicles all through the 90's and 00's.....a version is still used today in the current Mustang. Most would have a good automatic transmission behind it, and there's so many around, they shouldn't be very expensive.

Would you be doing this work yourself?

Marshall

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome aboard Jason, glad you found us.

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Jason. :welcomewagon:A big block V-8 and a five speed would be a better choice. That way your wife could get the shopping done faster and get back home to cook, clean, and mow the lawn.

Rocket 8 and 66Fairlanewagon like this.
  5. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the wagon train, Jason!

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome aboard. I've become a big fan of the early Falcon's in the last few years. The great thing about them is that many of the aftermarket powertrain items you can find for first gen Mustangs will work on the Falcon as well. Good luck with your project and don't forget to keep us updated.

7. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome Jason!

8. jasoncongo

jasoncongo New Member

Thanks for the welcome all! You're dead on Krash, 3 speed column shift (boy is it weird for me to drive) and I6 200. The engine only had around 120 hp when it was fresh, so I figured a modern 4 cylinder could easily give that kind of power and might save some on the gas vs upgrading to a v8.

As for who will be doing the work, I would like to do as much as I can, but don't actually have experience with an engine swap so that might make things a bit tricky when it comes to that part. I also want an automatic b/c she doesn't have experience driving a standard and isn't really interested in learning.

My car is a 67 mustang with a 408 and 5 speed manual and is wrapping up completion so getting excited about being able to switch focus and help her on the wagon.

9. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi, Welcome.

10. 66Fairlanewagon

66Fairlanewagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome Jason, you'll find plenty of knowledgeable people here to help! And since no one else has, I'll ask..."Got any pictures mate?"

cheers

11. jasoncongo

jasoncongo New Member

Here's a picture, not the best lighting but you get a general idea at least.

Attached Files:

66Fairlanewagon likes this.
  12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Been thinking a bit about what 4-cylinder engine might be a good match for a '65 Falcon. Best I can come up with is the 2.3 4-cylinder out of a Ford Ranger P/U. A lot of those were sold, and a lot of them should have had automatics behind them. Should easily fit, as well. If you wanted a bit more power, that same 4-cylinder was turbocharged in the '87/'88 Thunderbird, and you could have an automatic behind it. Would be a lot harder to find one, though. Personally, I think you would be better off with the 4.0 V6, though.

ModelT1 likes this.
  13. jasoncongo

jasoncongo New Member

Fantastic ideas. I need to do a little research but I think if I went the ranger or explorer (maybe mustang too) route I might even be able to steal the rear axle to upgrade to rear disc brakes while I'm at it.

ModelT1 likes this.
  14. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Around here they modify those Ranger engines for racing. Seem tough and decent running. Almost as many parts available and people working on them as a small block Chevy.

15. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I had a 94 Explorer with the 4.0 in it. I bought the rig used from a family friend when it was 10 years old. After I had for a few years it blew a head gasket (I have to admit it was my fault, not the engine's) and I installed a 96 4.0 out of a wrecked Explorer and kept driving it for another 6 years at which point I sold it. I must say both engines performed well for the size of vehicle. One thing I expected when I bought the rig was decent fuel economy. It was ok, but not great. I averaged about 15 mpgs. So if you are looking for a dependable powerplant with tons of available parts the 4.0 is a good choice, but don't expect amazing fuel economy.
    Just my observation.