Fish out of water....

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by 55belairwagon, Apr 8, 2016.

1. 55belairwagon

55belairwagon New Member

Hi! My name is Kevin from southern California. I recently bought a 1955 Bel Air Wagon to restore. Body is straight, extremely minimal rust spots, engine and tranny will need to be replaced. The owner I purchased it from had it gutted out on the interior and exterior and prepping for paint. All the parts were thrown inside the car....I've had it for about a month now, removed all the items and put them on my side yard, cleaned and painted inside black. Nothing is hooked up from brakes to steering column or anything else....so this is a much bigger project than my other two classics a 73 and 69 Camaro. It took a few years to build those up, I'm ready for my new project now! Any support, suggestions or feedback would be appreciated as I don't know where to begin on putting it back together. I'm looking to make it more modern but clean. Keep the integrity of the car but more of a clean muscle car kinda look. I've attached pics of the Bel Air and of my camaros so you can see my taste.

Kevin

Attached Files:

2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Hello Kevin, welcome aboard. This is a great place to find fellow enthusiasts, information and feedback. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I love the Tri-Five Chevy's and your wagon looks like a great foundation for a cool project.

I have always dreamed of having one of these that looked bone stock on the out side, but packed some serious punch in the motivation department as well as handled and stopped like a race car. It sounds like you are looking for a restomod type of direction with your build. It's always fun at the beginning of a project to envision what it can be, since the possibilities are endless. Good luck and don't forget to keep us updated on your progress.

55belairwagon likes this.
  3. 55belairwagon

55belairwagon New Member

Thank you for the welcoming! And yes, this vision is the fun part. I'm looking to paint it soon. Painting or starting an engine have always been my motivators to keep going with a project! My kids (5 year old son and 8 year old daughter) are excited to help with this project! I'm going to show them those late and cold nights in the garage, some cuts and bruises, a million trips to the auto parts store when working on something like this, but all that goes away when we fire the car up and take it for its first cruise! :)

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:Welcome Kevin. I followed one of those old modified station wagons home back in the late 80's. Then it followed me home. It's been a lot of fun. Our adopted son began working on it since he was 1- 1/2. Now he thinks he owns it.
    You wagon looks very straight and rust free. That's a great start. Build it any way you want.
    Our 55 Chevy (2).jpg Our 55 Chevy (4).jpg Our 55 Chevy (5).JPG

5. 55belairwagon

55belairwagon New Member

Wow! Love your wagon! The end result to these cars are so motivating to see! Thank you for sharing!

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I was hoping it might get you out in the garage and get started. There are many far better tri-five wagons here and around than ours. Like me, it's been used and abused for years. I forgot how many engines, transmissions, and other things we've put in it. To us it's just a car and I drive it like a car. Many vacations, car events, and picnics.

Good luck.
    Our 55 Chevy (3).JPG

7. 55belairwagon

55belairwagon New Member

Thank you! I may be asking you soon if you can send me pictures of the engine compartment. The stuff I've taken for granted on my camaros that have been hooked up like steering column, brake lines and master cylinder, pedals etc aren't in my wagon, the parts are on my side yard. I'm getting ready to paint pieces that look salvageable and start replacing parts that arent. It's like putting together a 10,000 piece puzzle. I told myself I need to steer it and hook the brakes up first!

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Right now our front suspension is rebuilt stock. We added lowered front springs but that's all. I wnat power steering but keep putting it off. Som euse a power rack kit. There are some threads here already about those set ups. Right now our '55 wagon is 1033 miles away where were were going to move. It's too cold and my wife hates to freeze her buns off.
    Our 55 Chevy (9).jpg

9. 55belairwagon

55belairwagon New Member

Amazing!! Thank you for letting me take a look under the hood! Very nice! :)

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    welcome and good luck. it should be pretty easy to find parts as they reproduce almost the whole car in pieces. not sure how the rack and pinion is on the 55 but it leaves something to be desired on the 59's

11. 55belairwagon

55belairwagon New Member

Good question, I will have to check! The car is parked on my driveway. My camaros are in the garage. I'm a believer in "out of site, out of mind". Being that I walk by my wagon daily, I've been taking time to work on it :)
    Nice wagon you have by the way!

12. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome Kevin!

13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Well don't touch the stainless. :mischeif:

14. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: Kevin, looks like your fitting in just fine. These guys are great, hope you find what you are looking. Remember to keep us posted on your progress.

15. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the wagon train, Kevin!
    Your other projects look great! That wagon is in good hands. Looking forward to watching your progress on it.