1/87 scale....

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by Fat Tedy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

So I've been reading my hair out trying to find suitable vehicles in mass quantities without resorting to crime; my dad has decided to help me with one of my autorack cars by purchasing ten of the Brekina Dodge A100 vans/pickups (IIRC seven vans, three pickups) for my bilevel car, which I unprototypically plan to paint for Great Northern Railway in GN Glacier Green. Whoop-de-doo if they didn't actually paint one like that...it's what I want. Anyway, once I get it all painted, escaped and the whole shebang together, I'll put it up on here for everyone to check out.

2. Safariknut

Safariknut Well-Known Member

Not station wagons but a nice little HO score at an antique shop the other day. 2 Olds Toronados ,one with a black roof and the other a dark brown roof for the staggering sum of 50 cents apiece. 1-87thScaleOldsToronadoYellow-Black-Brown.jpg

3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Cool! I wonder if those are original paint jobs?

4. Safariknut

They look to be original.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

I have a handful of those too; but I think they're Caddy Eldorado's. Toronados didn't have a 'prow' on the nose and the taillights are vertical; Toronado taillights were horizontal under the trunk lid. As for the paint, I couldn't tell you if they're original or not, but they're definitely different than mine.

6. Safariknut

Andrew: I just looked up both the Cadillac Eldorado and the Oldsmobile Toronado and have come to the conclusion that the models in question combined the front end of the 72 Olds Toronado with the rear end of the 72 Cadillac Eldorado. Probably done to avoid have to license the product through GM.

7. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

With a little help they could pass off well enough for a pair of 67-70 ElDorados.

[​IMG]

8. Safariknut

The side and the rear are right but here is a pic of the 72 Toronado front. This is why I mistook them for Oldsmobiles. 1972-toronado-32-001.jpg

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Those were mad by Bachmann; I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

This weekend, there's a model train swap meet, so I'll be on the lookout for any of those and the Tyco ones, like what I got a couple weeks ago. I have three autoracks to fill, and by hook or by crook, I'll get them done.

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

So I got back a few hours ago from the train show, and was able to snag some more Tyco cars: IMG_20160228_151921642.jpg

I also managed to find my Ford van when I was rummaging around for a few things. So I only need six more Javelins and eight more Camaros to fill both of my triple deckers. I also found out my dad's order for those Dodge A-100s was automatically backordered, so he changed the order to 1960 Ford pickups/trucks. Whatever fills the double-decker. Last thing: I bought a Tyco 76 gas station model that had three Javelins and one Camaros glued to it. I've removed the cars, but the model's for sale for ten bucks if any of you want it. Just let me know by PM, and I can snap some pics of it. IMG_20160228_151921642.jpg

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Here's the gas station:
    IMG_20160228_185730613.jpg

Has only one figure, and he's missing a leg. Second garage door and two other model doors are inside. The second 76 sign is around somewhere.

13. Jim 68cuda

The Tyco sevice station was a nice find. It is seldom seen with totally transparent corner windows in the office. Usually sloppy assembly quality leaves much of the "glass" opaque white with glue damage. Tyco sold this built up model in the 70's, and they show up regularly on E-bay for about $10. But it is merely a reissue of a kit that Aurora offered in the early 1960's as an accessory for their slot car sets. The Aurora version in kit form was going for close to $300 on E-bay when it made a rare appearance on E-bay a few years back. Don't know what the Aurora kit would go for now.
    I masked the signage, repainted the Tyco service station, made new plastic windows to replace the glue damaged ones and put the service station to use on my HO layout.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  14. Silvertwinkiehobo

I remember that, as my brother Tim had the Model Motoring slot car set with the car bodies that were the same color as Western Electric telephones, and it was in, like, a flyer or something like that. Later, I bought the Tyco kit, along with the Handy Andy's garage and the train station models.

15. Jim 68cuda

Another 1/87 scale resin kit for a wagon. Again, for those joining us late, this is HO , 1/87 scale. That means this wagon is probably about two thirds of the size of the 1/64 scale 69 Chevy wagon by Greenlight Collectibles. Hot Wheels are 1/64 scale (S scale) and are larger than HO 1/87 scale). Its probably about two inches long. A modeler who is on the 1/87 scale Vehicle Models Facebook page has created the mold and is selling the unpainted kits for $20 each. I'm sure alot of work went into creating the model and he probably won't sell enough of them to pay for the time he's put into it. Kit consists of body, chassis with interior, and dash. Purchaser will need to paint, assemble, and provide their own wheels and windows. Windows can be made using clear plastic sheets for the side windows but clear packaging tape cut to size would probably work best for the windshield. The seller also has kits for a 67 Impala 4 door hardtop, 70 Impala coupe, 70 Chevy pickup, 66 Chevelle SS, and 69 Chevelle SS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]