What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    New gas shocks are now on the Country Squire! I did things the easy way - I paid a buddy who has a shop $30 to do it for me. If things are as crappy outside as Sunday promises, the radio and amp are coming out of the wagon, and I'll figure out where to go from that point.

2. thehazguy

thehazguy Member

Wagon Garage:
    Had the front suspension replaced on the RMW. Everything except the pitman was replaced.

New coils
    New Shocks
    New centerlink
    New rotors
    New calibers
    New pads
    New upper control arms with bushings and ball joints pre installed
    New lower control arms with bushings and ball joints pre installed
    New inner and outer tie rod ends
    New tie rod sleeves
    New idler arm
    Sway bar bushings
    Front end aligned
    New rear brakes, wheel cylinders, hardware and drums

Rides nice and tight. No big car float

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Sadly, stupidly, that's exactly what had to happen. Actually, we were only rotating the tires, and he didn't have to take it elsewhere. I had to buy a socket set that would grab the sockets on the outside (forget what they're called) to remove the locking nuts, and a new set of locking lugs (out of my pay), then bring the customer's car in and do the job, installing the new nuts in the process, and all on my off time.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

From that point, I used the breaker bar to break the nuts loose and the torque wrench to snug them up.

5. finsrin

finsrin Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good move, it pays back with each drive.
    Did mostly the same for 59 Villager and 60 Tbird.

6. dulcimerbob

dulcimerbob Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have done a heap a work on the Beast. New red line tires, front brake calipers and pads,oil change,new muffler , Edelbrock carb, fake fur on dash, Mex blanket seat cover
    fixed passenger window that had fallen down. Sprayed faded woody vinyl with
    Minwax spar urethane and it looks great and seems to be lasting. Found a NOS Sparkomatic 8 track , my next install. Having fun cruising Dairy Queen with friends. Whew! :dance:

7. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

New tires on my recent purchase, sand blasted the rims, replaced master cylinder, all brake lines, calipers, rotors, front and rear pads, wheel cylinders and hardware. Painted the rims and installed the new tires and a set of Pontiac Babymoon caps. Ready for the 2 hour road trip next weekend

8. thehazguy

thehazguy Member

Wagon Garage:
    Had the air conditioner charged up today for the first time since I bought the car last July/August. That's all it needed and it was in the high 80's today. Now I'm cool as a cucumber. Great ride home tonight

9. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I put the air filter assembly back on, drove it and cleaned off the dust. I noticed a rusty part on the tailgate which I never saw before (which is painted over, too and is not a totally solid part) along with a part above the rear window that looks as if the paint had worn through to the primer from waxing before it was refinished.

I'm considering buying dash and seat covers, and maybe covers for the plastic in the rear too. What wax should I use when it comes time for a waxing? I'd rather not use a silicone-based wax.

Also, some time back I drained the washer fluid reservoir by holding it on for minutes and the "Low Washer Fluid" light came on. Even though I filled it, now the light is still on. What could I do to fix that - like, remove a fuse and replace it or remove the battery for a while?

10. jrhcrewchief

jrhcrewchief Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Was driving to work today and a/c stopped working and also noticed car was starting to run hot. Got home from work and found fuse for electric cooling fan was was blown. Cold a/c and no overheating. Wish all of life's issues were that easy.

11. Dan Scully

Dan Scully Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Seats ?

The 64 880 has a power bench but I found these in a 64 New Port . I,am thinking have these recovered to match the rest of the seats and I might have a power bucket seat base that would work. How about opinions on this ,if I ever get to the point of selling it would the buckets and console be a upgrade or downgrade if you where buying it? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  12. Silvertwinkiehobo

101 Volts: Use carnauba wax. Hit the paint with a decent polish (Turtle Wax has both), then a couple coats of wax. When you do it, go in straight lines with only one grain (I always go longitudinally) and do it in shade. Never do it in direct sunlight, and never above 75*, IMHO. Which usually means doing it in the late morning so the wax flows without baking into the paint.

Dan Scully: If the car were a sedan or coupe, the seats would be very cool. But a standard wagon just needs a bench, especially with how good that one is. But that's just my 2 cents.

13. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I haven't done anything TO but I have done a few things with her. Last weekend I was busy with the car show and I used her to carry all the stuff for the show, prizes, tents, trophies, etc. The show was great, the weather not so much, but it sure was fun having my car at the show. We just loaded Lil Sis up with a queen size bed and it fit perfectly.

car_show_2015.jpg

lil_sis_with_bed.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  14. Silvertwinkiehobo

What does a queen-size bed have to do with a car show?:rofl::clap::dancing:

15. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Those would be a huge upgrade to me, Dan!

Back in 1970, my roomie had a friend with a big '63 or '64 New Yorker, with dual front power bucket seats. He told me they would power them both to the rear, then have 'power seat races' to the front for fun.......while driving.