68 Coronet

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 689passwagon, Apr 19, 2015.

1. 689passwagon

689passwagon Member

got the 68 coronet out of Mich. in August. Built a 68 charger a 69 charger and a 70 RR.
    Found this 1 of 96 9 pass. coronets. #'s car, 383hp,tow pkg. suregrip, dual exhaust. Converted it to 4 spd, ralley dash, ramcharger hood, buckets. Just plan on leaving it as is paintwise,and not going to worry about scratches or rust which is very minimal for a Mich. car. 2nd fender tag says "special" order and that's it! Sw. mo is where it resides now and I plan on driving the hell out of it, unlike the 3 other show cars. Had to re-build the motor (unplanned) but no worries now. Have located several other mopar wagons recently in my area after walking pass them over the yrs. Might be able to help with parts if needed. Pix to follow soon.

Attached Files:

2. whateverit takes

whateverit takes Member

I have a soft spot for 1968 Coronet 440 Wagons as well. My wagon is a 9 pass. 318 auto with a/c. I found mine in NY and it's remarkably clean. It had a re-paint and the 318 was replaced with a 1986 vintage. I rebuilt the 318 due to low oil pressure and added EQ magnum heads, comp cams camshaft, a performer manifold and edelbrock carb. I had the trans rebuilt as well. I want to convert my gas cap to the flip top. Can you give me some info on your conversion?

IMG_20150501_214017.jpg

IMG_20150501_214004.jpg

IMG_20141010_194116.jpg

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice looking wagon. (y)

:Welcome: aboard.

4. 689passwagon

689passwagon Member

Cool wagon. I need to add some bumperetts to mine.
    pretty easy to go to the flip-up cap. Just find a 68 in whatever condition and you'll need to re-drill some mounting holes because they won't match up. I needed to trim away or grind down some of the back of the hinge area for it to sit up against the body and still be able to flip open far enough to function., That's why you might want to find one that's not too pristine to grind on. Not sure if my pix show it but it doesn't fit flush or even, to the body. You can get it to sit the way you think looks good by doing the grinding on the back hinge. That's where it makes the most contact with the body. You'll see when you start fitting it at the outset.
    Any more questions, just let me know. Just redid the headliner and replaced all the rubber on the seat back/floor with some stuff almost exactly like the oem stuff. I can give you the info on all the materials I used if needed.

Thanx, Rod

5. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

Would like to see some current pics of your wagon, Rod.....
    Front,, interior,, etc... :D

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Those are both nice wagons.:yippee:

7. 689passwagon

689passwagon Member

wagon pix

not alot of new pix but I'll get some.

Attached Files:

8. whateverit takes

whateverit takes Member

Thanks Rod,

I plan on picking one up off the internet and giving it a try. My headliner is in perfect shape but I welcome any help for selecting replacement materials. I currently have worn carpet in the rear seat well. I would like to see some photos with the modifications you performed.

Thanks,
    Ernesto

9. whateverit takes

whateverit takes Member

Thanks for the compliments.

10. 689passwagon

689passwagon Member

more wagon pix

here's some more pix of the wagon. Pix of the almost oem rubber matting for the rear. I can give anyone the info as to where I found it if needed.

Attached Files:

11. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Nice Coronet wagons. Thanks for sharing.

12. whateverit takes

whateverit takes Member

Hey Rod,

Nice pics. That 4 speed and rally dash is all muscle. What did you use for the seat back material. Was it expensive? If I come across any bumperettes I'll let you know. I'm looking for a deal on a bulge hood but it has to be a deal.

Ernesto

13. 689passwagon

689passwagon Member

An oem looking 4'X10' floor mat. Slightly less than 1/8th " in thickness. It was perfect.
    http://www.rubbercal.com/sheet-rubber/
    About $120 shipped to my door. Some left to do the upper area around the 3rd. seat/foot well too.

14. whateverit takes

whateverit takes Member

Thanks. I ordered up a roll. One other request. Can you post a photo of the spare tire cover stud retainer. My cover has the studs but the retainers are missing and I think I can source them from a later model vehicle. A photo would help.

Thanks again,
    Ernesto

15. 689passwagon

689passwagon Member

Have the studs but they only go into holes.... no retainers. Didn't know I was missing anything. Are they rubber dealies or what??