1973 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Sep 2, 2014.

1. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So who here recalls that other (green-ish) 1973 Olds Custom Cruiser that sold for $10,200 about nine weeks back? It had more miles on it and the "Sold" listing is still on eBay at this time.

2. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

3. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. How are the options on this red one again?

4. jwdtenn

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Not bad. Not bad at all.

6. jwdtenn

7. hvanzanten

hvanzanten Member

I'm going to try to make it out there on Tuesday. So what would be a realistic price for this car? We've seen really nice examples go for around the 10-12K mark.

8. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I agree. He's a fool for not taking the $15K. What these cars are worth at this level is just guesstimates, and the fact that anyone would give him even $15K is noteworthy. He should take it.

Well, given that someone was willing to give him $15,600 for it, it seems unlikely he'd take less than that. If you offer him 10 or 12K or something like that, he'll just say he can always go back to that high bidder and sell it for 15, and he'd probably be right (as long as it's not too long and that high bidder doesn't lose interest or find another car).

9. hullinger

hullinger Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm a bit subjective since this is my old car, but..., I think $8K - $12K is the range for a nice example. There are always outliers at either end of the spectrum. I know that's a wide and vague range but I think it comes down to color, options, mileage, originality and condition. When I sold the car it had factory original paint that shined quite nicely but had plenty of chips and scraps. To me it was important to preserve this and represent the car as completely original. From the dealers perspective I'm guessing they wanted a perfect presentation and felt a respray was necessary. A look at the other original cars he has for sale on his website shows many have been resprayed despite being low mileage originals. He clearly must know what he's doing to respray so many cars and to still be in business.

I still feel the car will sell and the dealer will make a profit. I think the $15.6K bid on eBay is really high and probably represents more of a speculator than a hobbyist, which was a concern of mine when I sold the car.

Chris

10. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Interesting take on repainting, but I can see the dealer's point of view. He wants a car that presents as well as possible, so no paint chips, nicks, etc. is more important than the car still having the original paint job.

My recently-sold '73 Custom Cruiser was repainted in 2005, and I was always very glad it had been. I had the receipt (gave it to the new owner), and the original owner spent $5000 even on that repaint. It was an outstanding paint job that I often thought in some ways was better than the original. That's also money I'm glad I didn't have to spend, and I paid nowhere near $5,000 for the car when I bought it in 2010. I paid $1,500. Of course, by 2010, the car had sat undriven for 5 years and was partly disassembled (hence the low price), but it was no trouble and little cost to me to get it reassembled and running well again.

11. jwdtenn

Agreed that $15,600 was a good price!!!! :)

12. jwdtenn

13. hvanzanten

hvanzanten Member

Was in Tampa this week but never had a chance to drive to Lakeland. Will be down again next week, so hopefully I get a chance to see that car in person. In the meantime, I've put a bid in on the car on Ebay ;-)

14. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Up to $13,550 with a few hours left.

15. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Ended at $13,550, about $2,000 less than the previous auction. Things are heading in the wrong direction.