Time to let the Roadie go? Help needed here

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by lowlow37, Dec 28, 2014.

1. lowlow37

lowlow37 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Help me here? I really love the roadie, in the summer. But in the winter i really dont care for it. The hot air distribution makes me go bananas. WHY oh why is it impossible to get hot air on the windscreen and the floor at the same time? And WHY is the windscreen air outlet placed in the center of the panel, making it defrosting a nice little area in THE MIDDLE of the windscreen? I liked my Delta 88 -80ies sedan even in the winters, and am considdering to buy a boxie wagon instead. What do you guys think? Pros and cons?

[​IMG]

2. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Having driven a 2000 Caravan, I can say that it doesn't have those cons; I can put air on the window and aim it in the rest of the cabin at the same time. Then what of the rear window? Personally I like how aerodynamic these wagons are but the rear window not going into the tailgate is a bit of a downer to me. I'm sure it has its use in its place, but I'd prefer a window that goes into the tailgate.

3. azblackhemi

azblackhemi Well-Known Member

Just West of Phoenix Arizona. In the Desert.
    With that much snow I wouldn't even worry about what I'm driving. I'd be hibernating so deep I wouldn't even go out until spring!

4. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

run a full 12v switch to the blower motor, get ready for a wind storm ;)

5. Dead Reckon

Dead Reckon "Rocket" Pilot

Did this in my Delta 88, now 2 notches above off is like having a leaf blower stuck under the dash. I managed to drench the relay (Second one I've somehow broken) while degreasing my engine. Oh well, I only ever have the heat on or off, what are all these settings for anyway? :D

My two cents though, I like the bubble bodies, I'd love to find me a bubble big body wagon. But then again I'm just happy to have another wagon, even though it is built in Das Vaterland.

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Make room for me. I'm not going out in that stuff!:slap:

7. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    Hmm.. The direct connection on the blower only solves half of my problem... When it is -30 deg celsius, about the same in F it is awfully cold on the feet.. I know the boxies have a good airdistibrution, and they deliver heat that cracks the windscreen in those temperatures, literally.. Happened me twice.. I am thinking of going for a carburated model, and swap the drivetrain from a -00 savannah, i like the vortech engines.. It just happends to be a car like that standing on the yard here :evilsmile: Does anyone think i should go either way? Here in sweden they are priced about the same, but the boxies are kind of hard to find in good shape.. Of course i need it to be wood deleted and repainted black, but on the other hand, i am kind of tired of the semigloss black on the roadie, and will paint it gloss black if i keep it.. I really need your input here...

As for the hibernation part.. There is a reason for me working on the cars for 5 months a year.. The shop is warm and cosy!

8. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    Edit no 2 .. This pic was taken in the morning after i had it in the shop, defrosting and washing it up.. So it is just one nights snowing that put me there.. The weather up here is kind of,,,,,, harsh (?):thumbs2:

9. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

Wrong time of year to be playing but Ive crawled under the dash of mine and everything has been wired in place to give 50/50 defrost and floor, the fresh air vent is like 1/4 open. [just a searies of doors n flappers that direct things]

Mine has that simple slider and a knob up/down to scroll for hot or cold, no real control over anything. And ya know it stopped working long ago.

And ifs its original, change your heater core, here they are like $15 new, only a slight PITA to change, have some semi drying caluk on hand to seal things back up well.

10. lowlow37

Wagon Garage:
    How easy is it to trick the acc? I guess i could just open the floor duct permanently.. I have a new heater core since last winter, and a new blower motor on the bench today, not really had the time to change yet..

11. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

Well I dunno my AC is long gone. Could simply just unplug the power connection from the AC motor under the hood when its not needed.