A 1973 OCC actually IN 1973

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by jaunty75, Sep 27, 2014.

1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The story: my brother gathered up our family's old Super 8 color film taken during family vacations back in the '60s and '70s and had it all converted to DVD format, and then he gave us all copies. In going through the videos, I discovered some footage of the 1973 Custom Cruiser we owned back then. It's the car I learned to drive on and what motivated me to get one back in 2010.

I managed to get a reasonable screenshot of the wagon from the old footage (left image below), and I put it side-by-side with the '73 I own now (on the right). As I've said elsewhere, I really like any car with a vintage two-tone color scheme, and I always really liked the white-over-maroon color of the wagon we had back then.

This image was taken at a rest area we had stopped at on a trip in April 1973, shortly after my father had purchased the car, so that's why there's actually luggage in the luggage rack. If you look carefully at this image, you can see something sticking out of the top edge of the passenger side rear door window. That was a window-mountable TV antenna. We had a small (5-inch screen) TV that could be plugged into a cigarette lighter, and the antenna made for better reception. Had to keep us kids quiet somehow!

I've seen a number of '73 Custom Cruisers in recent years (mostly as photos), including some that are all red like hullinger's on this site. But I've never seen one with the white-over-red scheme of our original '73.

[​IMG]

My father traded-in the wagon in 1976 (for a Cadillac). I have no idea where it is now. It likely no longer exists.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Nice story and great photos. Our family and even us later took few pictures.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I remember the TV antenna, although I don't know if it was the same brand. Our F350 and Kit camper had one that we used with our 13" GE Commander 1 B&W. The camper was deluxe, so there was AC power from a bup-bup engine-powered gennie. The antenna was stuck out of the RH upper bunk window.

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

5. NOMI WAYGONE

NOMI WAYGONE Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very cool story and LOVE the white over red!

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

On that same DVD, which contained film from several family trips, I found some not-terribly-great footage of the wagon we owned two wagons prior to the '73. These shots are from June 1968 and show our '67 Olds Vista Cruiser. Note the luggage in the luggage rack.

The snow photos are from Yellowstone National Park, which was experiencing a late-spring snow event when we were there. My father tended to move the camera excessively. These are screen shots from a camera that was panning, but they're not bad considering that when they were taken 46 years ago, no could have dreamed what we would be doing with them today.

The third photo is from earlier in the trip and was taken at a rest area somewhere in Nevada or Utah, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Between these two wagons, we had a '71 Custom Cruiser which my father traded on the '73 in February of that year. I have not as yet found any photos or film of the '71. It was beige throughout with woodgrain siding. It looked just like this:

[​IMG]