Saturday Houston Texas Roady Tripping!

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 81X11, Aug 17, 2014.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Drove to Roady Wagon to Houston yesterday with Dad, Eddie and Tuck to go parts-hunting....and had a great trip!

We ate lunch at El Real Resteraunt, which was once a big single-screen movie theater, GREAT PUFFY PORK TACOS!!

Then went the new Delorean factory and we all drooled over two "brand new" DMC's in the showroom.

Finished the trip with a new Impala SS wheel that will become my spare for the Virginia trip.

We had a great day, saw some cool cars, got some neat pics on the trip, and drove the 437-miles in the Roadmaster in 100-degree heat with no car issues! Ran cool and smooth.

My new Police Pursuit tires do seem a bit harder than the old Goodyears, you feel and hear the highway expansion strips and potholes more, but on smooth highway, the car is still smooth.

One minor concern, I only averaged 20.4 mpg on the trip. Not as good as I hoped, but we did see quite a bit of city driving and stop-and-go...so hopefully on a straight highway trip, and after a tune-up, I can get it back into the mid-to-high 20's like in the past. We'll see!

Enjoy the pics!

-Mike

El Real Houston, Good Stuff!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DMC INC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roady-Tripping! Giddings Texas, between Austin and Houston
    [​IMG]

I love this old car. ;)
    [​IMG]

Impala SS wheel. Not perfect but pretty good. Tire is garbage, but no big deal. If anyone needs an SS wheel, I got this at Apache Auto Salvage on Cullen in S. Houston, and they have one more left. $65. A little steep but these are getting harder to find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Fun times I'm sure!

Those DMC cars have Peugeot engines in them, don't they? :confused:

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Nice that you and the boys got to get out and have some fun. Love the old movie theater eatery.
    So what color Delorean did you order?

4. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cool trip! I did some junkyarding myself Saturday morning with my mentor from work, Mr. Walter. He needed a TCM for '02 Caravan he is working on so met me at the house and we took my wagon...He likes the wagon and enjoyed going to the junkyard so it was a good trip for me.

Oh, and Mr. Walter found a Reman TCM for $25 compared to the $400 at work and it can be flashed to work!

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Speaking of Deloreans, I came across this thread in some forum I'm on (but forget which one - garage journal maybe?) Anyways, it's a copy of the original thread on the DMC forum.

One of the main drawbacks of the original Delorean was its engine, a gutless little V6 from the Peugeot-Renault-Volvo group venture in the early 80's. Some folks have been getting creative with some engine swaps. This owner found a genius mechanic named Eddie somewhere in Florida, and he worked a brilliant swap in using a Volkswagen VR6 engine, with a turbo.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7884-Turbo-VR6-DeLorean

6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I really like DMC's. I know they were quickly designed and used some questionable parts, but they, to me, are just timeless...and it's a good story...with sad ending.

Anyway DMC Inc bought all the parts from the factory in Ireland, and not only does repairs and restorations, but will build you a "new" car, using all new factory parts, and they offer a suspension and turbo kit to make the cars drive they way they should have from the start! Pretty neat.

Oh and as for the engine, some trivia, it was used in the late 70's squashed-roof Volvo Bertone Coupe, the 760 and 960, the Eagle Medallion and Dodge Monaco, and lots and lots of Renault's and Peugeot's. Ha!

And again, such a good story... ;)

[​IMG]

7. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Let's just home on one decides to do the same with Bricklin :banghead3: - dyslexic fingers - it should read "let's just hope no one......."

DMC's had a lot going for them. Bricklin's were, well, bricks.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  8. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I saw two Deloreans at a car show recently. The owner was very friendly and let my sister sit in it.

9. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My youngest son Tuck is fascinated by them. Of course he's seen Back to the Future so to him it's a Time Machine. Ha!

10. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

What a great way to spend a day, with the family no less! You're creating some great memories; that's always a wonderful thing.