1/87 scale....

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by Fat Tedy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Darn those computers.
    I'll bet the blue prints are all now computer generated as well.

2. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

...and today if an actual model is needed, then a 3 dimensional scale model can be printed to scale with a 3D printer.

3. Jim 68cuda

My HO scale train layout is loosely meant to be set in the late 60's or very early 70's. But I couldn't resist the NEO 1/87 scale 1976 Chrysler Town and Country wagon. This one is now on my HO scale train layout towing a 1/87 scale (HO) Airstream trailer by Busch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I just found a blurb in the December Model Railroader of new American '50s cars from Oxford Diecast USA: a '41 Lincoln Continental, a '49 Merc V8 coupe, a '56 T-bird and a '58 Edsel Citation. Their website is www.oxforddiecast.co.uk.

5. Jim 68cuda

I already have those Oxford 50's cars. Oxford also lists a 57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser as a future 1/87 scale release, but no wagons. Classic Metalworks 1955 Ford Fairlane and Ford Mainline 4 door sedans are supposed to be arriving in their warehouse about now. It should be as nice as their 53 Ford Country Sedan, Country Squire and Courier wagons. Their next upcoming release will be the 1960 For pickup trucks next spring.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

I just wish they'd start doing mid-to-late '60s anything for my open autorack cars. The bi-level I have will have Ford Superduty cabover chassis rigs (which, IIRC, go up to '67 or '68). Pisses me off that there are so few of any late '60s auto models to go with, let alone cheap ones.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

I found a new scale car website, American Excellence Diecast Modelcars, who offer several scales, including 1/87th scale. They have a few good prices on cars that would work for the late Sixties time period I want. I don't know if any of you would see the ad I'm looking at, since I went to their website, even though I did not use the link on Modelrailroader.com.

8. Safariknut

Safariknut Well-Known Member

I have a rather extensive collection of 1/87th scale cars,trucks,and military vehicles acquired over the years.Most of the cars and trucks are either Wiking or Herpa and the military vehicles are by RoCo of Austria. Bachmann used to sell some really great Freightliner COE's in various liveries. I have a couple of old metal ones(don't remember the manufacturer)I put together years ago.I even picked several HO scale Transformers awhile back! You think large scale Transformers are hard;try HO scale ones.
    Most of the Wiking models I have came directly from Germany via friends who used to travel there extensively. Some larger scale Wiking models came directly from the Daimler-Benz Museum in Stuttgart.
    I'll try to post pics of some of the station wagons(ambulances) I have.

9. Jim 68cuda

Took the Neo 1/87 scale Town and Country wagon on a little trip around the HO train layout. Here are a few pics along the way. Towing the trailer with the 440 under the hood, it still had enough power to pass anything except a gas station.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jim 68cuda

Heres a few more from the trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Jim 68cuda

Sometimes the hardest part of the trip is backing the trailer back in the driveway when you get home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fat Tedy likes this.
  12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I can attest to that....
    Jim, what are you using for those light-colored road surfaces (aka 'concrete')?
    Also, you could use some stop signs / signal lights.....

So very cool this.........

13. Jim 68cuda

The concrete streets and sidewalks and brick streets are HO scale plastic kits made by Walthers called a "street system". The asphalt roads in other areas of the layout are painted on plaster or painted on illustration board. Sidewalks in those areas are a combination of pieces from the Walthers Street System and plastic sidewalks from Smalltown USA (available through Walthers). Signs and traffic lights and additional details will come after the rest of the layout if closer to completion. I still have some wiring to do on the track, then I can start on the scenery in more rural areas of the layout. After that I would go back and add details like signs and pedestrians.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

*shakes head* Damn. I just wish I had my own home in order to do that kind of building and have an operating layout. I have to find out how much dues are on a membership, and I don't know anyone who has a private layout. And I still can't find a source for multiple cars at a decent price.

15. Jim 68cuda

3D printing still has a way to go before we see some nice models, but here are a few interesting 3D printed vehicles available from Shapeways. The finish will be grainy on these 1/87 scale models (about 2" long I would guess), and they are solid pieces, but a skilled modeler might be able to make decent models out of them. One that is not shown here but which is due out soon as a two piece model (chassis with interior and body with openings for the windows) is a 63 Impala wagon.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/8Z...i=user-wishlist&optionId=56121684&rc=WishList
    1972 Ranchero
    [​IMG]

http://www.shapeways.com/product/QH...i=user-wishlist&optionId=40586926&rc=WishList
    1978 Volare
    [​IMG]

http://www.shapeways.com/product/35...i=user-wishlist&optionId=40223261&rc=WishList

1965 Vista Cruiser fire chief
    [​IMG]

http://www.shapeways.com/product/GU...i=user-wishlist&optionId=42283839&rc=WishList
    1967 Chrysler Town and Country
    [​IMG]

http://www.shapeways.com/product/JK...i=user-wishlist&optionId=40657782&rc=WishList
    1986 Mercury Colony Park
    [​IMG]

http://www.shapeways.com/product/WZ...i=user-wishlist&optionId=42283899&rc=WishList
    1966 Ford Country Squire
    [​IMG]

http://www.shapeways.com/product/GW...i=user-wishlist&optionId=40522615&rc=WishList
    1977 Ford Country Squire
    [​IMG]
    http://www.shapeways.com/product/78...i=user-wishlist&optionId=56018454&rc=WishList
    1980? Olds Custom Cruiser
    [​IMG]