70s Surfwagon

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Rubberhunter, May 26, 2014.

1. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

The first time I had heard of painting the wood grain on a car was after my Sister-in-Law went off roading, accidentally, in their Colony Park. The body shop said they could paint the wood less expensively than trying to match the original dy-noc. The base they started with was a copper metallic. They never did get the rest done, as the off roading weakened the body mounts, and my brother decided to scrap it instead of fix it, the dummy! Then again, the car had 850,000 kms, or something well over 500,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone who can do it. Just keep eyes and ears open. For that matter, a hobby air brush is not that expensive, and you can experiment until you can do it yourself. Could be a nice little earner on the side as it were. Start a whole new trend to replace the rat-rod look and make woody-ing the car the new 'in' thing.

2. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In my opinion, building anything is all about attitude!
    Never mix your themes and never out-spend while decorating with-in the theme. For instance, you are building a surf wagon. Surfers were cheap and operated on the ragged edge of poverty. The only thing that drove them was the need to surf and the transportation required to drive down to the beach from the place they worked/lived/went to school.

So.... don't spend a lot of money on wide whitewalls or expensive rims. Go inexpensive steel wheels and narrow white line tires.
    Keep the interior stock and simple.
    Spend all your money on a surf board and the means to protect that surf board because the whole reason for your existence is surfing!
    The rest is just.... waiting to surf.

That said, I am working on this illustration for one of my articles. It is not finished yet, but I am giving you guys a peek.
    [​IMG]
    Lettering on the doors is a great idea and I can find a half dozen pictures of other surf wagons to prove my point.
    Surf decals on the windows is another strong, but not expensive, indicator of theme. A roof rack is NOT necessary! A lot of surfers liked the idea of LOCKING up the valuable surfboard inside so the idea of carrying the board on the roof is pretty much only to allow free room inside for passengers, guitar amps and.... sleeping.
    Blankets on the seats, beat up body panels, 8-track tape players, a vintage electric guitar, vintage skate board, bongo drums and flip flops are all elements you can add to your surf wagon.

Oh.... and watch some period surf movies for inspiration:"Endless Summer", "Blue Crush", "Gidget", "Beach Party" and "Morning of the Earth" are just a few I suggest you watch.

3. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here is another one for inspiration.
    [​IMG]
    Though, it is a much older car.

4. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Jairus, your talent never ceases to make my jaw drop...just awesome brother.
    :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Jairus those drawings/ paintings are so life like and detailed. And your surfing ideas make it almost seem like you've been there done that.

Funny how we had to have a surf board after we moved to Florida. Not to go surfin. But to put on or in the wagon for car shows. By freak accidents ended up with two. One does not have the lower fin.
    Got one while camped above Jacksonville, Fl. The young couple with kids and a tent somehow ran out of room to pack the board when they got ready to leave. Don't remember what we paid. But it was cheap.
    The second was down the coast in New Smyrna Beach, Fl at a yard sale. Again very cheap.
    The funny part is after sticking it in our wagon to go to car shows we ran out of room for our son and all of our gear for motels. Also lost room for swap meet parts. Keep in mind, those boards take up room inside if not on a rack.
    Surf's up!:yahoo:

6. Dan Scully

Dan Scully Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Board

I use this one out at El Mirage Lake. You just to have to watch out for the sand sharks.;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Gary A

Gary A New Member

surf wagons

Well mines a 68, but you get the idea. Gary

Attached Files: