Getting a Wagin Ready for the 2014 Hot Rod Power Tour!

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by MartyO, Jan 9, 2014.

1. marcar1993

marcar1993 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    (y)I keep coming looking for updates! Keep em coming, I can't wait to see the final product, maybe even a vid of it moving!

2. MartyO

MartyO New Member

Shall do!

3. MartyO

MartyO New Member

Got the brake rod for the master cylinder sized and mounted this evening. Brakes lights are working too. Also mounted the PCM under the dash and started fitting for the AC head unit's location.

On Monday we will weld up the header to exhaust piping and flanges. Then use a few wire nuts and get the car ready for its first voyage.

The car is coming along!!!

4. MartyO

MartyO New Member

Well, I started my day getting ready for my interior guy to come over and do some work on the Wagon.

I had to lay out the rubber floor mat so it could loosen up in the sun.

[​IMG]

The I cleaned up the interior and got it ready for the interior guy's work:

[​IMG]

The he laid in the hush mat to help quiet down the interior:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then some jute padding was laid down:

[​IMG]

After that the rubber mat was laid in and fitted. Then the rear seat was installed. The front seat will be kept out until we finish mounting the air conditioner and some under dash work on Monday. I must say I am really happy with the way the interior is coming out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I almost forgot. I also got the brackets cleaned up and straightened out and got the grill installed.

[​IMG]

5. MartyO

MartyO New Member

Well yesterday was a pretty productive day and by the time the day was done we were able to back the car in and out of teh shop.

We got the fan cicrcuits sorted out wired except for the AC turn out which we still have to wire in.

The brakes plumbing is finished and bled. So now we have plenty of braking power - discs up front and drums out back with a poweer master. We even have the brakes lights working. :D

We fabbed up theflanges and down pipes for the exhaust and welded them up. Now we need to just build the H pipe and weld in an 02 bung.

I also got some baby moon hubcaps and tried them out. I like them with teh steel wheels, so I think I will stay with a white steel wheel, teh baby moons, and just put some fresh tires on before the Tour.

Tomorrow night I hope to get the throttle cable in and maybe do a few other small items.

It is really coming along and I cannot wait to start putting the test miles on!
    Here are some pics from yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looking GREAT!
    That's going to be a sweet ride.

Here's a link to the start-up video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtoBfn7xKYE

Don't you just love the EFI start-ups?
    No drama, just hit the key and off they go!
    (Assuming it's all hooked up correctly, of course...)

7. MartyO

MartyO New Member

Thanks for fixing my link!

And yes, I love when one of our projects fires off as it should.

We have gotten pretty good at these swaps. It is all about the attention to the detail on the wiring end. We still have a few wiring issues to tackle like OD cancel, TQ lock up cancel, and high speed fans for when the AC comes on, but we have most of that mapped out already.

8. MartyO

MartyO New Member

So last night we completed the exhaust, including the H pipe/balance tube, except for the 02 bung and two hangers which won't take terribly long to complete. I must say despite the crazy "backwards" headers, the exhaust came out great! It sounds really good both inside and out of the car. This can be tricky with wagons because the long exhaust systems always seem to want to drone but I don't think we will have that problem.

We also fabbed up a throttle bracket and return spring arangement and installed the Lokar throttle cable. The pedal pressure seems about right but until I drive the car some it is a little difficulty to tell.

I can't wait until next week - we should be able to get pretty far in wrapping up the car except maybe for teh AC lines because I will be bringing the car to our local hydraulic shop that also makes up our AC lines.

I am pretty excited about taking the car for a test drive and it is getting close!!!

9. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Frankly, I could never understand all the drama that goes with firing up a carbureted engine. Even the "experts" on the big TV programs are always dicking around with the distributor trying to get their engines to start. Do you think it's just drama for TV, or haven't they learned yet. It's so easy to have an engine timed, primed and ready to start on the first turn of the key.

10. marcar1993

marcar1993 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think its typically drama. I've started plenty of freshly installed motors, never had all that drama due to timing or carb. Not that I haven't had issues, but it was always something more indepth then an adjustment.

11. MartyO

MartyO New Member

I agree.

12. MartyO

MartyO New Member

The car runs and drives!

We put two miles on it driving it ariound the neighborhood. Still needs some tweaks and sorting out but I am pleased.

We may need to put more gear in it. It has a 3.00 gear in it now and I think we may wany to go with like a 3.55 but we can decide that after we put some miles it.

Tomorrow night we will do some wiring clean ups and then the car needs the AC lines made up so we can charge the AC.

Then the stress testing will start before we leave for the Tour! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Good luck MartyO:dancing::yippee: Nice work.

14. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    what??? no video of her moving?? :slap: :)

congrats on her moving under her own power :thumbs2:

15. MartyO

MartyO New Member

Today was a work on the details day.

We got a bunch of wiring straightened out. We tested all circuits and got them all working (including the turn signals, the hazard lights, and the horn - we still need to get the back up lights working). Unfortunately, we found that the EEC (the processor) is not unction in properly which is probably what caused them to place the Church van in purgatory in the first place. I ordered a new EEC today and with any luck I will have to tomorrow.

I also got the front passenger door lock straightened out and the door now opens and closes as it should.

With any luck we will have the new EEC installed this week and then this weekend I will be able to get the last of the interior trim issues straightened out and start putting some test miles on the car.

Then, the plan for next week is alignment and AC lines and then charging the AC system.

I am hopeful that the car is almost wrapped up!!