Had a nice ride on Hwy 90 on the Gulf Coast this weekend! Also, back seat relaxation.

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by OldsWagonmaster, Mar 24, 2014.

1. OldsWagonmaster

OldsWagonmaster Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Most Saturdays I wake up around 830 and fart around for a little bit until Car talk comes on at 9am on NPR and listen to those guys in while rocking in the chair in my sunroom, trying to wake up. Then, when the mood strikes me, I get dressed, grab my keys, and sometimes my dog, and I hit the road in one of the wagons.

This saturday, the weather man said it was gonna be a real crappy day, but by 930, The Destroyer and the road were both calling my name pretty loud, so I hopped in the car and took a ride anyway, not caring if it was gonna rain. Hell, my wipers work.

From where I live, if you take Hwy 90 east out of Louisiana, you will pass some of the most beautiful marshlands and that's where I headed and before I knew it, the clouds parted and the sun came out and it turned into one of those days where the car and the music tells you where to go and you just kind of hold on to the wheel. Well, it took me past Bay St Louis and out to Long Beach, Ms. They have beautiful stretches of beach out there with lanes where you can pull off from the main highway and park.

One thing I like to do out there (indeed ANYWHERE) is drop the tailgate, leave the keys in the ignition and sit in the back seat with my feet sticking out and just listen to the music and enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of the beach while I relax in the back. One of the first things I did when I got the Custom Cruiser was install a very good sound system, including a head unit with remote, which I operate by simply raising my hand and pointing the thing towards the front. People pass and give me strange looks, but I don't care. That's part of owning a wagon. They're just jealous cuz they don't have a luxury seat in the back of their automobiles! Lol.

I do that a good bit. Even at my house. I live on an acre and a half of land, with lots of trees and divided by a small bayou. I back in the Custom Cruiser so that the rear seat faces the woodland across the bayou from my house and one of my favorite things to do when the weather turns nice is to jam out in the back seat, drinking beers and throwing the frisbee to my dog.

Does anyone else do this in their wagons with third seats? I can't be the only one! :drink::party5::party3:

Attached Files:

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cool! Almost (but not quite) reminds me of Huntington Beach - at around 6:00AM before the people arrive...........

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Don't pay attention to Krash Kadillak.:disagree: We are from Illinois and were always told Daytona beach is one of the world's most beautiful beaches.
    Those beaches along the Panhandle with the squeaky white sand are far nicer and there are still places where few other people go.
    We live just of Fl rt 19-27 and when traveling north often cut off at Perry, Fl and follow rt 98 all the way to Moblie. Then jump down to Pascagoula to New Orleans. In my quadcab truck or the 55 Chevy wagon it is a relaxing beautiful ride. We don't have a third seat and rarely turn on the modern stereo but love sitting on the tailgate kicking our feet and watching critters in the Gulf.
    For short rides we go around 35 miles, back up to the water, and stare at the Gulf over toward Texas. Sometimes I think we can see Galveston.:rofl2:

4. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I haven't done this yet with my wagon, but I will. I have done this in the past with my Jimmy. If hubby was working in the garage I'd make a lunch and we'd sit in the back with the gate down and eat our lunch back there.:)

And of course on our many Sunday drives with my mom and kids, we'd do the same, have our lunch in the back of Jimmy.

I miss that little fella...:(

5. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    WOW, what a GREAT way to enjoy your wagon! A man, his dog and his wagon....The picture you just painted sounds like the perfect retreat. Now I REALLY can't wait to get my next wagon! :cheers:

6. 7tvista

7tvista Member

Sounds great.. up here in Michigan I still haven't gotten the cars out of winter storage yet... someday...

7. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    i miss havin the hound in the car...dont miss vaccuming up all the fur tho ;)

8. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Awesome pic, talk about :dance: happy!

[​IMG]

And yes I do, do that x2:D(y) A couple parks I bring the dogs to are open enough that I also sit on the gate and or just leave the gate open for when we are done playing.

[​IMG]

9. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like fun! My beach trip is 2.5 weeks away - I'm packed just waiting for the calendar to say go.....taking my dogs Jake and Elwood with me. They love the beach!

10. OldsWagonmaster

Wagon Garage:
    My dog hates the beach. But he sure does love the garden hose! Lol.

Last time I took my dog to the beach, he kept swimming towards me and I ended up having to hold up this 65lb scardycat that was clinging to me for dear life.

He sure did enjoy the ride home though. Usually, I let him sit up front with me, but a wet dog has to ride in the back with the seat DOWN! Lol.

11. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Who vacuums up the dog hair? LOL I just tell people my car is upholstered 'Beagle". Works for me.

12. OldsWagonmaster

Wagon Garage:
    Lol. Luckily, he doesn't shed much at all. I just vacuum when it's needed! =}

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Don't have a dog. But my wife is a blonde. I usually let her sit up front if she's not wet. She still sheds hair all over.:rofl2:

14. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:

:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup: