What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. FANTM58

FANTM58 Active Member

one more picture
    this was the 1st step !!

Attached Files:

2. rsavage

rsavage Active Member

Nice work. I don't know if you had any rust left inside the tank, but if so, you can use a sealer such as the one pictured. I used a similar product on a 1952 Chriscraft gas tank about 10 years ago and it worked well. There was no more surface rust getting into the carb.
    [​IMG]

3. FANTM58

FANTM58 Active Member

This is the product I choose.
    It had a lot of really good reviews
    I'll let you know how it works out.
    There is virtually no rust in the tank,
    After I cut the bottom out , I was able to get in. There
    With sand paper and clean it up really good.
    Bu I'll go through all the process and product
    To ensure good adhesion of the liner .

Attached Files:

4. Olyspud

Olyspud New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Had the sedan delivery out running some errands. Went to restart at one point, and it barely kicked over enough to fire. I drove home with my eye on the voltmeter. It just wasn't charging. I had another alternator kicking around in the garage, so I swapped it over. Fired it up and the voltmeter went right up. Great. Love it when something works for free. So, I turned off the key, and the engine just keeps on chugging along. I finally had to pull the choke to kill the engine. Now, I've got to admit, electricity is not my friend. It just doesn't make sense to me for some reason. So off I go to the auto parts store and buy another alternator. Same result. It charges fine, but won't shut off. Once I turn off the key, if I pull off the plug on the alternator with two wires coming out, it does shut off. Still haven't figured it out. There is an auto electric shop here in town with a real nice and knowledgable owner, so I guess I'll drive over there this next week and see what gives.

5. Dasvagon

Dasvagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds to me like your ignition switch is bad. Does it show continuity after you turn it off?

6. Olyspud

Olyspud New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Alternator trouble

That's what I thought, too. I pulled the switch out, and couldn't find anything wrong there, but like I said, electricity confuses me. I do have an old ignition switch in the garage, so maybe I'll try that out before I take it to a professional. Thanks for your suggestion.

7. Olyspud

Olyspud New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Got it fixed.

Thanks to a friend's advice, I put a $1.49 Radio Shack diode in the line from the alternator to the ignition, and it works like a champ now. From what I can understand, usually those types of alternators were on cars with idiot lights, and the alternator light was enough current to shut down the feed after the ignition was cut off. I have gauges, so it needed the diode.

8. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good job! Would you mind posting a pic of the implemented fix?

9. Olyspud

Olyspud New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't take a picture, and I covered the wire with shrink wrap, so it just looks like a wire with shrink wrap. It's a Radio Shack diode, Part #1N4001, and I installed it with crimp on butt splice fittings with the stripe at the alternator end, then used the shrink wrap. Here's a picture of the diode. It's very small.

[​IMG]

10. Smokinbill

Smokinbill Active Member

Put some Christmas Lights on for the Holiday. AA battery operated lights for mobile ornament
    [​IMG]

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Those look really classy Bill! (y)

12. TheLoyale

TheLoyale Subaru Alliance

Wagon Garage:
    Well fitting!

13. argo

argo Space Cowboy

Wagon Garage:
    I have owned my Caprice for 6 weeks now. I have done the following things:

• Replaced rusty brake lines, and eliminated the non-functional ABS unit.
    • Re-surfaced the rotors with an on-vehicle brake lathe
    • Re-surfaced the drums
    • Replaced the factory steel wheels and wire wheelcovers with 1980s 5 lug 15x8" truck rally wheels (I used to have them on my 93 suburban but they are originally from a 1986 Suburban)
    • Replaced a bum O2 Sensor
    • Replaced the lame-o 170 degree thermostat with a 205 degree unit
    • Replaced the Port side valvecover gasket (Starboard is next weekend)
    • Changed trans fluid and filter
    • Changed rear axle oil
    • Fixed exhaust leak
    • Disabled rear windows temporarily until I can fix the regulators
    • Had a full detail and buff job done on it
    • Screwed on a nice, shiny new Delaware License Plate
    • Re-named it the "U.S.S. Enterprise-D"
    More to come soon.

14. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have got a lot accomplished... lol. I am hoping my next report within 4-6 weeks will be to say it is running an roadworthy... or traded off for something I can actually drive. lol. Merry Christmas everyone!

[​IMG]

Yesterday (12-21-13) it was used as a cat bed on a 76° day... lol. :)

[​IMG]

Hopefully after the holidays I can get it to a shop and let a mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb, because I have personally given up on trying to figure it out myself and I have not been able to locate a good carburetor to install on it to see if I can rule that issue out. :oops:

It looked better in the summer...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  15. 688guy

688guy New Member

Wagon Garage:
    79 Zephyr

I've done a few things to my wagon lately and farmed a few things out...

I found a set of Eibach Pro Series lowered springs & Moog ball joints on Craigslist for 75 bucks, so with the money I saved I paid to have them installed along with new struts. It now rides and handles way better. I haven't decided whether I'm gonna install the rears or not, kinda like the lower in the front rake. The close up with the beer can in the picture is merely for contrast to see the lower front end. I would never recommend nor condone the combination of alcohol with the car hobby...

The gas door always puddled up with water, so I removed the inner panel, removed the drain tube and cleaned it out as it was clogged solid with dirt. I also rammed a screwdriver in the plastic housing drain tube to open it up more. It seemed to be virtually closed, kinda like it was a flaw from the factory. One picture shows the water that drained, but all the oils spots are from my old Nissan truck...

I added an under dash 3 gauge set to monitor things since all I had was idiot lights...

I installed a stereo too, but the PO added one too and since mounting kits aren't available he just glued it in! I made my own mounting kit by cutting 2 1/4" face plates (it pays to work at a laser cutting place) and pinching them together with the stereo mounting frame, one on the inside and one on the outside of the dash. I had to scrape the old dry glue off, so now I still have to touch the bottom of the dash up a little. I also installed a new antennae because the old one broke off. I found one at the boneyard off a 75 Mustang II for 3 bucks that fit perfectly, but looks much cleaner...

I found a NOS fuel gauge on eBay for 35 bucks and installed it, but I still need to find a new lens since my old gauge had a clock and the set hole is still there...

I got new matching tires for the rear because I'm still not sure what wheels I want to get and they were badly dried out and cracking. The 4 lugs really limit the choices and I'm still on the fence about a 5 lug swap...

Attached Files: