Help! I Need Photos/Advice From Clamshell Owners!

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by no_grain_no_gain, Feb 11, 2009.

1. no_grain_no_gain

no_grain_no_gain New Member

Hello! As some of you know I bought a '72 Olds Custom Cruiser back in November. Work has been going slowly on the car in this cold season, but little things are getting done. I'm mostly frustrated about the snow, and anxious to finally drive this car and take it to get some more major work done.

Thus far I've done tune up work mostly. Filters etc. $309.00 later I have the replacement windshield (w/ embedded antenna), but still need to take the car to the shop to have it installed. I bought some literature, and a few pieces of trim on eBay, and have some final pieces coming from a yard in Montana. I cleaned all the wheels and installed some new whitewalls, too, as the tires on it were completely shot. I work at a funeral home, and there happened to be a big unused early '70s Goodyear whitewall tire in the attic off a hearse that is now long gone. My boss let me have it, so now the Olds will have a period correct spare tire, too.

On to my problems:

The gentleman I bought the car from had removed the motor that powers the rear clamshell glass, and gave it to me serperatley. He was going to have it re-built but didn't get around to it. It was badly corroded from being exposed to the elements through the non-existant floor of the spare tire-well. I had it 100% rebuilt at a local shop, and it's waiting in my room until the body work of the car is done, to ensure it doesn't fail again.

Out of curiousity, I went out to the car today to have a look at how the motor will install when the time comes. I took a few pictures because I couldn't quite figure it out. One of the forum members who owns a Buick Clamshell wagon had sent me a service manual, so I compared my motor/car to the photograph provided in that literature. My motor doesn't quite look the same, and the picture doesn't show how this motor attaches to the car.

It does say that the motor is attached to a mounting plate, which then bolts to the car. I don't seem to have this plate. It also mentions rubber bushings that insulate the motor from the car. I have none of this either.

I see the wires and drivecable coming from the regulator on my Olds. This matches the picture in the manual. I'm a bit confused because there is a a rubber (looks like a hose) exiting the bottom of the regulator which ends in the bottom of the rear tire well. Almost seems like a drain hose but it feels like there's something inside (like a cable).

This is hard to explain, and I'm quite confused. I'll attach a few pictures, and as you folks more familiar with this to comment, and post pictures of you own for comparison's sake. Let me know if there's something else you would like me to photograph etc.

The tailgate portion works fine, but makes a crunchy noise when it's almost fully retracted. Sounds like there's ice or snow inside the compartment it's retracting into. Do I remove the two panels on the underside and clean this area out?

I love the clamshell and can't wait to have it working on my car, but these complications are a little frustrating. Can't wait to hear any input! :) Thank you, and have a look at the pictures!

In the picture with the red markings, I circled the only mounting holes that I can see. There are 3 and don't match up with ANYTHING on my motor... that's why I figure there must be a plate. I also circled the cable end that I suspect my motor is supposed to mate up to. I drew a line on the mystery hose... what is this? Comes from the bottom of the regulator and into nothing. Anyone?!

- Josh N.
    Nova Scotia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Josh, I don't have any links to it until I finish reinstalling my 'puter system, but if you search this site for Autozone, you'll find a a link to all their online (and free) manuals. Your Olds is covered in there. (y)

3. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    I will try to help you out with by making a few photos. But I"m not able to do so till this weekend orso.
    Till that time you can surely take those maintenance/inspection covers out and clean the tracks first and after that grease them with gravite lubricant, clean the box and check whether the draining hole is open.

4. no_grain_no_gain

Thanks!

Thanks for the help thus far guys.

Stormin' Norman: Thanks for the help, but so far I can't find this link by searching Autozone. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? I found some manuals on the Autozone website but they don't seem to have my year of Olds. They have the '76, but they've got the wrong info and show a swing-out tailgate for the Custom Cruiser, which isn't right. :cry:

I have a manual thanks to 75RivGS like I said, and I've looked at some exploded diagrams but still can't make any sense of why things aren't working for me. I really think a picture or two of the proper set-up would help.

75RivGS: I appreciate anything you can photograph. If you're taking pictures, shoot some of the covers I need to remove to service, and this drain hole you mentioned. Sorry to be so incompetent about this!.

5. Harry Clamshell

Wagon Garage:
    Think we#re talking about the same thing here: those 2 lids which you need to unscrew just behind the rear bumper.

to be continued (y)

6. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    What GM changed stuff?!! :biglaugh: Glad to see you've got a GM wizard on the case. Yeah, that Autozone repair list link is tough to find sometimes.

7. Harry Clamshell

Wagon Garage:
    These are rusty spare parts I have here; as promised I will take a few photos later this weekend of that same set up installed.
    Heres what I think you are missing: the bracket for the window motor. Red arrows are indicating the attaching holes for the 2 screws. On 3rd photo the motor is attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

attached to the motor it should look like this

8. no_grain_no_gain

Eureka!

75RivGS: Thank you so much! This is a giant peice of the puzzle. Now I can see that the mount is exactly what I'm missing. I can even see those 3 holes in the sheet metal of my car where it bolts on. This is great!

There are several pieces of the mystery left, however. My motor looks VERY similar, but I don't have that large yellowish plastic collar on it. I have the threaded end where I'm guessing the cable attaches, though. This motor only needs the one cable connection, right? What is the yellow part... is that where the wires enter it? Mine just go through a hole on the side.

However, my motor has the correct screw holes to line up with that mounting plate though. The screws are even still in the holes. I'm betting my motor will do the trick, but the yellow thing confuses me a bit. I will take a picture when I get home form work for you to compare.

My only of ther question is:

What is the long hose/cable that comes out of the window regulator on my car and goes to nothing. It looks like the motor hooks up to the shorter of the two black lines coming from the regulator, so what is the purpose of the long one that goes to nothing?

On a final thought, note that my tailgate works as it should but I will indeed remove those two covers and clean/lube/examine the interior. :)

Thank you VERY much for your help my friend! It is very much appreciated.

9. no_grain_no_gain

More Updates

Just the latest:

Managed to get a few more odds and ends done to the Olds today. I replaced every burned out bulb, including interior dome lights, front drivers turn signal/parking light and the passenger highbeam (with an old-style non-halogen bulb).

I also managed to free the left rear door, which was stuck from the inside and outside since I bought the car. The lower body is going to need some work. The floors and frame are good, but the rear quarters, lower front fenders and door bottoms will need some attention.

Note: When replacing the front parking/signal lights on a '72 full-size Olds (the one under the headlights) do so from under the hood. Don't bother removing the front lens, which I foolishly tried to do first and had a terrible time getting the lens to slide out of its place. Should've checked underhood. Just move the battery aside to get to the driver's side one! :yup:

Upon removing the highbeam bezel, I found the headlight area full of mud, gunk and bugs. I dismantled the whole mess, cleaned the headlight bucket, ring, back of the bezel, and the wiped out the whole "eye socket" area... Going to have to do this with the other 3 headlights, as there was a TON of gunk in there. It was packed in!

Thanks to a friendly and patient junkyard owner in Montana (and fellow clamshell owner), I now have the last missing/replacement bits I need on the way:

-Tailgate glass electric motor mount (with spare motor still attached - thanks 75RivGS! :cheers:)

-Green coathooks (on the ceiling inside the rear doors) to replace my snapped off one

-2 Dome Light Lenses (Mine crumbled to pieces)

-The only missing peice of trim that surrounds the woodgrain (front friver's fender)

-A working green glovebox door.

All that's left are a few tune up items, having the windsheild (purchased) installed and having the lower bodywork done. Plans for the future include a repaint to original color and installing dual exhaust. I bought the chrome "Cruiser" script to replace my broken "ruiser" one on eBay.

Will update you with more pictures as the weather continues to warm. Thanks for all your help folks, and hope someone finds this interesting!

Other info:

-This car is showing 02591 Miles (add 100,000:dancing:)
    -Has an aftermarket (working) coolant temp gauge
    -Has a mystery switch (on/off) added to the dash... maybe old foglights?
    -Was built in March, 1972
    -Sold at H.A. McLean Chev/Olds, Aurora
    -Is one of 18,087 of this 3-seat model produced in '72 according to numbers provided on this forum.
    -has all original literature and spare tire jack.
    -I'm still missing one hubcap, specific to Oldsmobiles in 1972.

10. Dyna

Dyna Well-Known Member

Try this one for you hubcap http://www.hubcaps.org/olds2.html

Cheers Dyna

11. no_grain_no_gain

Hubcap

Dyna: Yes, I'm aware of this site. Good hubcap selection, but the price is through the roof. I was hoping to find it on eBay in the 15-40 dollar range. I would order it but can't justify spending $100 on a hubcap at this point in the project.

Sad thing was, a set of FOUR appeared on eBay last month for $49.00 but I forgot about the auction and missed out. No one had even bid.

Once the body work is done, windshield replaced and tailgate/glass working, I may be willing to spend the cash on the hubcap from these folks. Until then, I will stare at the picture:

[​IMG]

That's the one! Thanks for your help though!:)

12. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Be patient grain...that hub cap will show up cheap somewhere. I'll keep my eyes open.

13. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    what a great thread

sorry I missed your name but I have a 76 CC and would be happy to assist with pics or anything... re the wheelcovers, I just bought a set of 77 wires (incorrect I know but I wanted wires THAT DAY) and have the original plain janes that I would be willing to sell, not correct for 72 but they are close and in decent shape. Also, there is a guy locally (South Florida) that I got my wires from that has tons of stuff. Not sure of the polical correctness of posting his info here (he has no website or email but he knows what he has in stock and will talk to you on the phone) I was very pleased with him. There are pics of my car with both wheelcovers here and there (avatar, garage, gallery) I also have 76 shop manual, but I guess even the clamshells changed over the years. I was very lucky (with all 3 of my cars) bought sight unseen and online. All 3 are very nice original survivors. I paid just under $6k for my 76 CC, 106,000 but all there. Seems like driving it in Texas for 25 years with the windows down had a silver lining.... the dirt preserved the metal. After $2,000 in mechanical and a full detail (it needs another), it is now my daily driver and I love it. I get offers every day to buy it.

14. Harry Clamshell

Wagon Garage:
    Did you ever tried to contact the seller after the auction ended? With a bit of luck the auction is still in your 'My eBay' and you can contact the seller. Or maybe in the cache when you google it....

15. jeffreyalman

jeffreyalman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    always click on the "watch this item" and you can get back to it even after the auction has ended