85mph highway opens here in Texas today

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 81X11, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    The four lane interstate highways of Florida are 70 MPH. I usually travel around 75.MPH. I feel as if I am sitting still according to other traffic. I have gone faster, trying to keep up with traffic. I'll swear a Nun on a Moped passed me doin 110 MPH !
    Of course, there is a penalty for these high speeds. Rumor has it that I-75 in the Ganesville area has more accidents, and deadly accidents, than the rest of I-75 anywhere.
    Let's hope those Texas drivers and tourists are better drivers. Altho most likely our same tourists are on their way over that direction.:slap:

2. whjco

whjco Well-Known Member

That snot funny.

3. occupant

occupant Occupantius

Wagon Garage:
    220.5mph in a Cadillac is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sneezing a lot this morning, but it's not in the direction of Hwy 130.

4. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    As was mentioned------That snot funny. :rofl2:

5. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    :biglaugh::biglaugh: thats a funny picture in my minds eye:biglaugh::biglaugh:

6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  7. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Wild hogs, however, were not a factor in the crash, police said. Four crashes between vehicles and hogs took place during the first night the toll road opened
    Danged bikers !

Okay the Civic driver "Merged". First I'd doubt a Honda Civic with a woman driver over 55 is gonna get up to speed very soon while merging onto a high speed highway.
    Most people on any highway have no idea in the principal of merging at any speed. And very few older drivers are capable of driving over 65 MPH.
    Hopefully those on ramps are long enough for most cars to get up to speed before merging. Seems like the right lanes should be limited to lesser speeds for that very reason.
    Lastly I am not familiar with Civics. Can they even go 85 MPH?
    Gonna have to keep wreckers, shovels, brooms, and EMS's handy at all times.

8. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

People forget that the acceleration lane is for accelerating.
    They jump into the traffic lane, then think about accelerating. Just tonight I damned near took out a 20-something who drifted onto the highway about 30 feet ahead of me, and doing about 25 miles an hour less than I was, and I was traveling the limit of 100 km/s, or 62.5 mph. Luckily I had room to change lanes. Needless to say, they got blasted, first by the very bright high beams, and second by the very loud horns, that I've fitted to Nora. Blasted car is 17 feet long, 6 1/2 feet wide, and 4 1/2 feet tall, and people cannot seem to see her!

9. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm a member. God Bless Texas!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's funny, there have not been a lot of accidents on the State Hwy 130 toll road (partly because there is not much traffic on it, as noted below), but the majority of those have been people hitting wild feral hogs at night.

It's supposed to be a big issue, the wild hog population is somewhat out of control here. People are being encouraged to shoot ANY and ALL hogs they see, to the point that I'm seeing trucks with multiple hog stickers on their windows, showing how many hogs people have shot. Ha!

Hwy 183, which is the old highway that runs along one side of the new toll road, had it's speed limit lowered to 55 to "encourage" people to use the toll road when it opened, but locals revolted and the state raised the speed on 183 back to 65mph..thankfully.

Oh and the toll roads have so far been considered failures. They were supposed to route truck traffic off I-35 and also help with Austin commuter traffic during rush hours, but the tolls cost so much that the roads are hardly used. Also, the idea that taking the toll road rather than I-35 would get you from Austin to San Antonio faster is wrong too. They ran the toll road too far east of San Antonio, so once you get to the end, rather than being in San Antonio, you are dumped onto I-10 about 40-miles east of downtown San Antonio. Stupid. You can get from Austin to San Antonio on I-35 in about an hour. Talking the toll road adds 30-40 mins to the trip. Also, the toll roads are on the far east side of Austin, while most of the population has moved to the west, toward the Hill Country, which is much prettier than the scrubland to the east of town, so the vast majority of daily Austin commuters have no use for the toll road...it's on the wrong side of the city! Hahaha! Nice planning folks!

SO it's quite a debacle, and has been fun to follow along with on the news.

BUT there are hardly any police on the 85mph stretch from south of Austin to I-10, and that road runs through the middle of nowhere...for 40-miles there is not a gas station or home to hardly be seen, it's just ugly rolling scrubland, so that section is becoming known as the Texas Autobahn, because it has hardly any traffic on it, but what traffic is using it is usually using it for the ability to speed. I have drivin it once, and half the cars were Porsches, BMW's, Vette's, Mustang's and Camaro's. Lots of manufacturer plates too...seems like companies are testing new cars here. Neat to see!

Who knows what will happen with these roads. They have lowered the tolls a bit and offered special "SPEED PASS" days when tolls are exempted, but still, the roads, being so out of the way for most people, are mainly used for fun runs more than traffic ease.

I will not be surprised if the toll road owners go bankrupt. Hope if that happens, the high speed limits remain once the state gets control.

Anyway, just sharing the latest from Centex!

-Mike

[​IMG]

Solid line is 80mph, line with dash is 85mph. You can see how far east of San Antonio the toll road runs and then dumps onto I-10. Stupid. Despite the speed, saves zero time for people wanting to go to San Antonio from Austin, because even driving slower, I-35 goes right there, not 40-miles east of the city!

[​IMG]

10. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

When I left last week, the Xpressway signs said, Drive Safely! 629 traffic deaths in Tennessee this year. On the way back yesterday it said 641.

However, that is a piddling sum compared to the shooting deaths that seem to occur 5-6 times daily in Memphis.

11. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

If yer parkin' with yer Honey
    And yer nose is very runny
    Don't think that it's funny
    Cause its snot

If you drink, don't park
    Accidents cause people.

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    OldFox you need to get that AC fixed right away!:slap::rofl2:

By the way, we've camped near Graceland on rt 51 and the State Park S.W of town, known for non-caucasion camping. Never had a problem. Even visited the jail/museum a few times and the big cop let us back out.
    However there are some run down red brick old buildings on the so. end with strange people hanging around where I wouldn't want to hang out at night. Reminds me of Peoria or Detroit!:slap:

13. Harry Clamshell

Harry Clamshell Well-Known Member Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    100 mph is the average cruise speed on quite a few of Germany's highways :bowdown:

14. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I usually run 75 to occasionally 80 mph (sometimes I may creep up to 85) on the freeway between the city I live in and the city I work in... the limit is 70 mph, but many run 80-85... most of the locals know where the speed traps are and can slow down in those areas. :)

15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I once got passed by a Nun on a Moped going thru Nashville! I was doing 85MPH.:biglaugh: