I am starting to restore my 1960 Ford Squire. I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge in the restoration. I am looking to find tires and rims for my wagon. Im curious what you guys have used that looks nice but affordable. I not to sure on the bolt pattern. Anybody know? I am also look for trim clips for my chrome moldings. I have a cracked windshield so im looking to replacing that also. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Welcome panam! 60 Squire huh? I think a smooth style polished chrome wheel would look good on that model? Sorry I'm about as worthless as boots on a mule when it comes to sources but I will say the 60 Fords are among my favorites so I'll be looking forward to hearing the updates on your project. Brandon, Vetteman61, has a world class thread going on the restore of his 71 Grand Safari and consistently gets ratings for his excellent updates. Check it out!
Standard wheels on those were 14" x 5.5" wide. Frankly, I'd go with a 15" wheel to get a bit better choice in tires. That would only be a problem if you were intending to use the standard wheel covers.
I doubt a 20 would work, unless you're planning on doing some significant modifications to make them fit. 18s would be cutting it close, I would think. I ran 17s on my 69 Cougar without issue. That's the biggest I would go. If that's the look you're going for (large wheels), some American Racing Torq Thrust might look good. Also, IMO, large wheels won't look right unless your car is lowered a little bit. Not slammed, but a large gap won't look right with big honkin wheels. Just my $.02. Here's a pic of my Cougar on 17s.
Thanks n2....... I was curious about that. I know I have a large well in the front but skirts in the back. Still undecisive. Thanks again. I will update as soon I get new wheels. Now to finish dealing with a carb leak!!!!!!
The one thing nobody thinks of when doing the monster tire conversions is weight ratings! A plus 6 is a LOT! Even a plus 3, to a 17 is a lot to compensate for. With a 17 inch wheel, you are down to a 45 series tire. An 18 would put you down to a 35. At that point, you are looking at a tire with a 1 ply sidewall, which is not going to carry much of a weight rating, and you have a relatively heavy car. Remember, too, that static weight is only one factor. You have to consider dynamic weight, as in the weight transfer during acceleration, braking and turning, especially the latter two simultaneously, such as in an emergency evasive maneuver. That is the last time you really want to find out that the tire cannot carry the weight you are putting on it, as it can come off the rim or blow out. Either way, what was an avoidable situation becomes a trip to the body shop for the car, if you are lucky, and a trip to the hospital (or worse) if you aren't. Also, you are increasing your unsprung weight significantly by doing the large upsizeing. When you get much beyond a plus 2 or 3 you simply have to upgrade the brakes to allow for the extra rotating mass. There is also the issue of ride comfort. The extra unsprung weight has a negative effect that is compounded by the shorter sidewall being unable to absorb as much road shock. A few years back, Hot Rod magazine did a comparison of tire sizes, and found that when the rim went too big, handling prowess decreased significantly, and in some cases, to worse than the stock size base line.
Panamio, We have been ridiculing donk wagons on this board for a while and it might just be that us old folks just "don't gittit". The oversize wheels don't look good, they hinder performance and cost a ton. Sincerely, be patient and enlighten us (me). Why? Thanks Rod
To add to what MikeT says, you have about 2" of sidewall. Given that you are in Illinois and the roads go to hell in the winter, if you hit a pothole it will blow the tire and bend the rim. It may destroy it or at the minimum result in a trip to a specialty shop to have it straightened and trued. I made a small fortune for two years when they were building I-355. I can't even start to tell you how many cars I towed in and had to order new rims and tires for. My shop was 3 blocks from a major cloverleaf under construction at the time.
I miss the 69 XR-7 convertible I had in college. I'd really like to own another someday, even a hardtop. I also had a rust-bucket 67 beater that I drove every day.