1982 Caprice Estate

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by MotoMike, Apr 22, 2013.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

I dunno KK, this car is a gem. The seller just needs one buyer that wants it bad enough.

Edit: 10,750 and did NOT meet reserve at auction end point.

2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Might be a gem but KK is right. That Chevy is worth the price he stated. Tops. It's a gorgeous Caprice but an Electra it's not. And even if it was an Electra the last bid on this Chevy would be too high.
    Saf does make a good point...if this is THE car that you have searched for over the years and if it is all it looks to be, then maybe you would splurge. But, after doing so, after you looked around and saw what $12,000 can buy, you just might be sorry you splurged.
    Again, I'm not saying that this isn't a nice car. Looks like it is. But it isn't worth the money the seller wants. The biggest thing that ruins the pricing on some of these cars has been eBay. Non-car guys with too much money jump on stuff with no cares about value. You watch...there will be Chevy wagons galore now on eBay with the sellers asking stupid high prices.
    I know there will be many who disagree and that's your prerogative. I just get tired of people with too much money and not enough car sense running the prices up on the stuff we love.

3. hvanzanten

hvanzanten Member

Great discussion and very good input for me. I've always been a wagon guy (my first car was an 87 Caprice Wagon). Haven't had one for a few years now. Here's my dilemma. I'm thinking that a car like the one in this auction (eighties) could be used as a daily driver (around 12K miles per year). Keeping it in good shape should be manageable. What I really want though is an early 70's clam shell (73 or 74 Buick). I just don't see how I could realistically drive an early 70's car for 12K miles per year and keep it in great shape. I'd need a cheap second car.
    Timing is not on my side, as it is getting warmer in New Jersey. The AC in my 04 Odyssey stopped working and the heater is stuck in the on position. Plus driving with the windows open in the rain gets kid of annoying. I'd love to hear some feedback.

4. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Agree with both silverfox and KK. This is an extremely nice looking wagon but not worth 5 figures IMHO. Remember the beautiful '76 Caprice Estate that recently sold for $13,500? There was alot of discussion that it was bid too high as well, but it was a clamshell and as well optioned as this '82. If I were going to spend that amount of money, I'd definitely want the '76 over this '82.

5. MercWoody

MercWoody Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree that this is a very beautiful car. The pictures are great quality, but I would probably want to see any car in person that I was considering spending that kind of money on. I would also agree with what has been posted above...this car should not be over 10 grand. If you want it that bad, hopefully you'll plan to keep it forever, because I don't see the buyer being able to make back that kind of money.

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    For what it's worth to those that are new to the forum, I bought my '81 Pontiac Bonneville Safari in December of last year. The previous (2nd) owner had been attempting to sell it at least since the summer of 2011, starting at around $6,500, IIRC. He advertised it only on CL. I got it for a price in the $4k range. It had 22,000 original miles on it. Condition-wise, it's similar to this '82 Caprice, except for a drooping headliner (now fixed). In my opinion, if the seller had put it up on E-bay, he might have got a lot more for it, since these Bonneville Safaris are now extremely rare.

7. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Funny thing is that in 1989 we (well my parents) almost bought one identical to this, even the same condition (and less miles) for $1795. lol. :)

8. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    We may not like it - okay, I don't like it - but the prices are escalating for fine vintage cars whether they be wagons or convertibles. And those of us who can relate to buying these cars for a lot less are going to struggle with how the market is going = once again.

If I find a vehicle I want, if it meets a high percentage point of my desired options/color/mileage, and they come up in that condition infrequently, I'd be probably spending the extra bucks to get what I want. Where you live versus where the car lives is another factor - if it is close enough that you can drive it or trailer it home then that is bonus. If not, and you can't go look at it, and you can't get someone you trust to go look at it, then save your dough.

As a purchaser I hate the thought that every car I want to buy at some point is nearing the "out of my ability to buy it" range, but when I go to sell what I have I am hopeful that the market is running towards the high end.

What we pay or are willing to pay is so much up to you as the buyer that basing it on what anyone else says is tough to do. You might overpay big time, or you might miss out on a super vehicle that will give you years of enjoyment.

Fortunately we know those who are reading this are taking everything any of us says with a grain of salt and you'll use your own decision criteria in the end.

9. hvanzanten

hvanzanten Member

Seller sent me a second chance offer for $11K. Now that the thrill of the auction has worn off, I'm going to take the advice of the majority here and wait for "the one". This car came close though.

10. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Its a stunning car, maybe they will relist and come back down on the price. We never dreamed in the 80s that one of these in like new shape now would bring $11K. lol. I had a '89 Safari in 2006 that I could not even sell for $700 and it was in super shape. These have really gained in value over the past couple of years.

11. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  12. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

13. hvanzanten

hvanzanten Member

I wondered if you guys would still be looking at this one. I'm not bidding this time. Unfortunately I did not have the luxury to wait 'cause I needed a car right now. To stay with the station wagon theme I got a used MB E-350. Great deal on one with a rebuilt title so there should be some money left for a "classic" in the near future.

I do think this auction will go a little higher in the final minutes.

14. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

I'd put that Safari on evilbay and make some fast cash.:banana::rofl2:

15. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I probably could, but I'm enjoying it too much. Not done making it 'mine', either. Wire wheel covers gotta go......

-------------------------------
    Auction has 6+ hours to go. Still at $8,027, reserve not met.