Latest Purchase, new to me Beater.

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Blackfoot, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    Tedy, that MoPig is SWANK brother, Hell yeah thats a sweet ride! She an '80 or '81 Diplomat?

Lets see here, 1984 I was in 4th grade. But I do know that in '92 when I was a Senior, I had the badest car in school. '70 LT1 in my 80 Regal, she tripped the 1320 at 13.27, thats damn respectible for a full dressed car, on street tires and full exhaust.

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Allways wanted a Regal, remember GN's driving around brand new.....never happened for me:cry:

It's a 1980 Plymouth badged Canadian Carravelle....318 smog 2V....0-60 in 5 minutes with a tail wind:rofl2:.......but in the big picture, it didn't really matter:evilsmile::2_thumbs_up_-_anima:dance:

3. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, Tedy had hair

Who would have thought..........:evilsmile:

4. PineBox

PineBox Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mullet on the head, but no dogs in the car?
    I dunno. I have doubts.
    Is this a picture of a cool buddy and his car?:lolup:

Doood.
    Say it isn't so.

Oh yeah. Blackfoot, that old Ford will last a million years with just a little TLC.
    And should you be lucky enough to score a Colony Park or a Country Squire, you'll already have your own parts department!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

No Mullet..... It's...'and the sign said long haired freeky people need not apply".......but dam, ya got with the no dogs in the car:slap:

But I allways had the girls:banana:..............To quote ZZ Top...."she don't like me, she likes my automobile"............ "but thats allrite, yeah, thats allrite".........

:p

6. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Okay, change the belt in the 8-track before you go tooo far.
    Then a set of full wheel moon discs are cheaper than new rims.
    Then just drive it like you stole it, 'cause I love that era of Fords.:pub:

Oh... get that steering column back together. Looks nasty with the cladding removed and cops tend to want to search your "person" when they pull you over and see that.

7. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    .:pub:

Oh... get that steering column back together. Looks nasty with the cladding removed and cops tend to want to search your "person" when they pull you over and see that.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad that doesn't JUST happen to me. :rofl2:

8. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Great looking sedan you have there. If she's sluggish and only getting mileage like that, the first thing is to check the tires. I bet they are some lousy off brand that are eating horsepower. Also, if she's been sitting a bunch and not really driven, the carb, valves, and cats are all probably plugged some. DRIVE her, and see what comes out the pipes. With the 3-speed tranny and 2 bbl carb, you are looking at the mileage being in the low to mid 20s to the U.S. gallon if everything is working properly. A good 2 1/4 inch dual exhaust will free up about 20 horse and 4 mpg by itself. Once she's tuned, remember that most people run the carbs rich on these things. Lean them out, and see what happens. Also, the stock setting is 12 degrees BTDC. I normally run a couple extra degrees. Those old Windsors need a touch of knock under heavy load.

Since it has the Class III hitch, check for the trailer towing package. It has a power steering cooler as well as the external transmission cooler, plus the trailer wiring runs off relays in the trunk. It will also have heavy duty anti-sway bars front and back. If so, you've got a real winner in that old car. She just may surprise you with a bit of care.

9. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    First, its has Michelin tires, one of the best highway tires on the market. Its not a tow pack car, its an aftermarket hitch, no trailer wiring has ever been installed on her. I have driven it, its a DOG with a capital "D", nothing more then a de-tuned, smog choked puke of a motor. Makes the LO5 350 in my old 92 Roadmaster look like a Stroked and Blown Big Block. The Roadie would atleast throw you in the seat on take off and even give you some posi action from a stomp on the gas, this thing, just goes, BLAHHHHHH and starts to roll along at a snail pace. Lots of noise comes from that Holley 2bbl, typical Holley, all show, NO GO! I will say, its a real nice riding car, good to and from work hoopty, but performance or mileage, not gonna happen on its best day.

10. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Question - is the family there with you now or on the way?

11. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

Bumping up the timing might help the performance a bit.

12. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    I timed it, replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, filled the tank with 93 and had my brother(Holley carb master) tune the carb. Its just a low powered, smog choked 351 pooch. Its nothing more then a decent looking 50/50 driver(50 feet away at 50mph). Will take a bunch of money in bolt on parts to make it run the way I feel it should, for such a bragged up motor. Im not impressed with its performance at all. Infact, if someone local wants to buy her, she is gone. Make a perfect Amish hauler for someone. Funny how all my Uncles and Cousins who are true Blue Oval FORD guys, think so much of these motors, and I have driven this one and a few F150s with the 5.8 and they never impressed me. I had a TBI 5.0 84 Crown Vic that seemed to run better. But dayum what a gas hog it was, 13mpg on its best day.

Safari, the family arrives in Detroit New Years day at 10:30am on Delta Flight 630.

13. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Part of the problem is that Ford changed the cam timing slightly to improve emissions back than. I learned about that changing the timing chain on my '72 351c motor a while back. The new gear and chain (with corrected timing marks) really helped wake up the motor.
    I also remove the deceleration valve and a wad of vacuum tubing also designed to shut the engine down when your foot is on the brake.
    A new Edelbrock carb will help as long as you have good compression but that will run you $300.

14. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    hey its a start. i thought the ltd's had the single square headlights?
    save your pennies scooter...i'll sell you TiKi.

15. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    with the Clamparo...ya needed a Mullet....but with this one ya needa Fedora and a pipe....:D

merry Xmas Scotty(y)