What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a young boy's car! And kids want what they want. You are right...he will respect it when finished.

2. 83MALIBU

83MALIBU New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Adjusted the timing and took her for a spin. Been having lifter noise, again, so will be adjusting next. Felt good to go for a spin.

3. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Adjusted timing, took the carb off and did a thorough cleaning, new plugs, idled it for half an hour to clean out a lot of the old gas and had added 5 gallons to help thin the old crap out.

Took it for a spin - ran ugly. Brought it back and phoned CS54 to find out which hole the accelerator pump is the proper one for the actuator and sure enough, I was in the wrong one. Corrected that, went for a pleasant toot around the neighborhood, then over to put fuel in it.

:49: okay you folks who live in the US, this is one of our major differences. I put the equivalent of 13.9 gallons in the Safari, which is 52 liters. One US gallon is the equivalent of 3.785 liters. I paid $79.51 for that 52 liters. That means I paid $5.76 a US gallon.:cry:

When ever we can we fuel up in Blaine, WA which is 8 miles south of us, and I actually toot right past REV's place but he is at work. But I had concerns about driving the wagon that far with the old crappy gas still at play in the tank. It sure did run a whole bunch better after I put the new fuel in it. As a note, typically, we pay in the $4 range in Blaine, if we do the drive to Bellingham, which is another 25 minutes, we can fuel up for mid $3 sometimes and a few times lately even low $3.

Oh man, it sure did feel good to drive the Safari again. I still have a swack of stuff to do on it, and I need to run it through our aircare tomorrow, and then it will be my primary driver for a while. I'll still take the Chevelle when I'm going anywhere that other "cars" are showing up, the wagon has always been my driver car and trailer hauler and the other cars the "special events" cars. Maybe once I finish all the stuff that needs doing the wagon will get that status, but not at present.

4. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Saf, that wagon sure looks like it has "status" to me!

5. Norselord

Norselord New Member

$5.76/gallon :49:

Please tell me that at least that is USD, not Canadian.

I drive Grrretchen ~75 miles per week to work and around town. She gets ~9mpg. So that is ~8gallons/week. Due to engine modifications and CR of about 10:1 i have to use Super. $3.50/gallon * 8 gallons = $28/week in gas.

Hopefully you don't drive too much in your wagon...

6. Norselord

Norselord New Member

I envy the trust you have for your son -- 35HP/year (500hp over 14years) is a lot of power for a young lad.

7. Safari57

Wagon Garage:
    Canadian dollars - but we are almost the same now. Yeah, it hurts. I don't drive the wagon much at the moment, but the Chevelle doesn't get any better mileage and I've been driving it as my daily for a while. Just today we gassed up the wife's S-10 Blazer (she got it for 15 cents a liter less than I paid) so it "only" cost her $60 and change, and I did the Chevelle but I had to stop the pump at $50 (just above the 3/4 mark) because I was late for a commitment. I'll probably burn through the Chevelle tank by Tuesday, the Blazer will last for a week and a half or more.

Since we don't drink or smoke or party, this is our addiction. We just wish we were paying US prices for it though.

Most people do not realize that Canada provides over 18% of the gas used in the US. I think that makes us the largest provider but not sure on that. So we provide it to you and you pay less than we do. Oh man........:banghead3: But hey, we do this because, well, I guess because !

8. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    Saf....i go thru 20 bucks a day just driving to work and back....and live what??....16 blocks from the border??
    and i cant be bothered to go across to get gas...am i silly??
    :D

....some years ago...i decided to not whine about things that I couldnt change....strange how it changed my outlook on stuff....but then...i may be silly ;)

9. TheLoyale

TheLoyale Subaru Alliance

Wagon Garage:
    I put a helper return spring on my Weber!
    [​IMG]

10. 73super

73super Well-Known Member

I HAVE NOT DONE SQUAT IN CLOSE TO A MONTH! SHAME ON ME!!!! :banghead3:

Bought a '74 Super Beetle as a daily driver for back and forth to work. Been tinkering on that... now it's time to get back to the '58 Wagon! Before summer's over mon'!!!!!!! :xmas: :eek: :cry:

11. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes 73super, you DO need to get that wagon out and drive it! Sheesh....

I washed my '58 yesterday and vacuumed out the carpets. Taking it to "Rust-o-Rama" tomorrow. Should be fun and we plan to sell t-shirts too.

I have not been on the forum much because not much to say other than I drive the car every day and it's never let me down once! Don't miss airconditioning or electric window lifts. Not one little bit.
    With the looks and thumbs up I get EVERYDAY driving it to work and around town are in a word... PRICELESS!:1st:

12. 73super

73super Well-Known Member

I know! I know! :banghead3:

13. Safari57

Wagon Garage:
    I broke mine :slap:

:slap: stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid :slap:

14. billyweaver42

billyweaver42 New Member

anyone know where i can locate a right rear door latch for a 1985 chrysler town&country realy haveing a bad time finding parts thanks

15. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

????....what did you do?