What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    The front seats DO work, CE and they are nice....but, I can't make the back seat work so it's not a match. I sure want the seats to match...IF I do it at all. By the way...the DCM cars had the Dark Maple interior. Why didn't they call the interior Dark Cherry? I have no idea.
    Wait....I may have been wrong all this time.....according to my CompNine sheet...my interior cloth trim is called Ruby Red....79C! I think that's wrong....or I'M wrong! Check and see what number your interior trim is sometime when you have time, CE.

2. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    My interior is actually a shade of tan, so it's no match, but I know I've seen the Fleetwoods from that era with some shade of maroon interior in them. I'll do a little search and see if I can help at all.

3. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some pics, seeing what I can dig up beyond that.

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, CE....doesn't look quite right, though. Hard to tell in a pic. The Buick maroon seat that KK shows looks real close if not on the money.

5. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Okay, well, just a thought!

6. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

One thing I have found with G.M. seats going back into the 70s is that with time and use, the foam gives way. I remember G.M. making a big deal about the switch to all foam seats, no springs. My 84 Delta 88 had the front seat repaired twice in the first 30,000 miles because the foam collapsed. Oh, the for 83/84 the blue interior was different than the 82 and 85. The exterior blues were different as well. There was a yellowy undertone to both blues.

If the problem with the seats is lack of lumbar support, you can have inflatable lumbar supports added to your factory seats. It can be done in a couple of hours, and for under $500. Much easier than ditching a car you love and loosing a whack of money, and a lot easier than changing the sets. Take it to the upholstery shop, and drive it home done.

7. jangleguy

jangleguy New Member

UPDATE: Finally took my wagon to the track. Read all about it on my blog (below).

Meanwhile, the wagon book is still selling well. Thanks to everyone here who bought a copy! You newcomers unfamiliar with America's Coolest Station Wagons can find plenty about it on the blog. And there used to be a thread about it on this site - try the search engine.

Thanks again guys, and keep wrenchin'!

Scotty

8. rob-red

rob-red New Member

Wagon Garage:
    you name it ! engine and trans swap, complete brake rebuild front to rear, wiper motor rebuilt, nos wiper switch, nos horn relay, wow ! Thunfield Rod & Custom ! thanks

9. TheLoyale

TheLoyale Subaru Alliance

Wagon Garage:
  10. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    New amp arrived and works. Have tunes back, also, we replaced the tailgate cable. More tailgate problems to address next week.

11. Frankenberry

Frankenberry New Member

I did a minor interior repair and took it to show.
    We did well.
    Smokin hot.

12. BigBird87

BigBird87 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Changed the fuel pump due to a leaking diaphragm and a recently developed hard start condition, followed by an oil change to get rid of the diluted oil. Hopefully I caught it in time, I don't how long it has been leaking before I bought it.
    Next up- finding a wiper switch so I can have functioning wipers again. Having a hard time finding one for a non-tilt, non-intermittent application though, so it really limits how much I can use the car.:taz:

13. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

Nothing on the wagon but on my sons 79 Camaro we installed the new subframe, sanded and cleaned the firewall, and prepped it for paint. Hopefully tomorrow night we can get the firewall painted. My son is 14 and we are going to try and have it done for him to do his practice driving in with his permit.

14. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:

That is cool, swanny. Your son learns mechanics, helps build his own car and will have pride in driving it. Great idea and a great dad!:thumbs2:

15. SwannyMotorsports

SwannyMotorsports Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had a 80 Z28 that I did a nut and bolt restoration on that I gave to him last year. It was a 500hp 4 speed car and he didn't want it, so we sold it and bought this 79. He found it, negotiated the deal and bought with his own money. I really did not plan on doing another one but it has been alot of fun, and some headache's but he is learning and he will respect it since he is doing alot of the work.