Air bed repair???

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Xavier, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

Okay, so we are using an air bed in our apartment. The first night it was fine and held it's firmness. We like a firm bed. The next night it deflated by morning and the night after that it was leaking so quickly we were on the floor in an after of minutes. We finally found a hole underneath it the was pretty sizable. After slapping some really old duct tape on it we found another pin hole on the side. The tape held the pinhole bit not the other hole. We feel responcible since it is not our bed. I tried looking it up and got mixed answers. Some said use bicycle tire patch kit while others said that was a bad idea and to use marine glue and no patch. I know that a lot of us are big fans of camping and I figured that there would be some who have had to work with this Lind of problem before. What can I do? We would like one of our own so this won't be one time use knkowledge. Thanks in advance.

-X

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Probobly not what you want to hear but and take it with a spoon of sugar:wave:...... your gona step over several dollars to save a dime IMO..... buy a new air matress.

I just did, my sister inlaw and her 2 boys came to visit so a couple days before we dug out our 2 filled em up and the next day one was flat. I'm not working rite now but the last thing I was gona do was IMO waist time finding leak, finding patch, is patch gona work because is glue compatable............

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/AirBeds.jsp

This is what I bout, $30. So if it's $30 in Canada, I know you can get one a hell of alot cheaper in the USA;)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/AirBeds/PRDOVR~0762565P/Comfort+Quest+Air+Bed%2C+Double+Size.jsp?locale=en

3. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

Like I said the one we are using is not ours so we need to fix it if at all possible. However, we do have it for a while so we might be a le to just replace it after we get one of our own. We won't be able to get one of our own until at the earliest next month. So I am still interested in trying to patch it for now since our financial situation is tight at the moment and unsure for the rest of the month. We can sleep on the floor, as we have been for the last year, but hardwood flooring isn't as comfortable as carpeting. :D

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'd try the tire patch route. Don't have much to lose.......

5. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was going to suggest filling it with pudding or RTV but it would be cheaper to buy a new one I'm thinking...

6. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I am a big lover of air and waterbeds. We still have the kingsized waterbed we bought when the craze came out in I think the 80's. So being used to a soft flexible sleep, we've always tossed our RV beds in favor of air mattresses. Have some very thick and fancy, some $25 Wally World specials. In fact, we now have one in the back of our truck bed for emergency naps. Very comfortable but it is hard to drive from back there.
    Took one to Illinois for our son to use on the floor of the TV media room and have one to use when we stay in Daughter's office which only has a narrow Futon thing.
    You can patch that air mattress till the cows come home but you will end up sleeping on the floor most nites. Get another elcheapo air mattress and sleep like you are sleeping on a cloud and counting sheep.
    Rule number one is no rough playfulness on an old used airbed and don't place them on sharp objects.

If you have any of that radiator sealer left try it. At least you won't loose antifreeze!

Air beds also work in station wagons and hearses. Back in the early days we used those $1 water floats. They don't really work and make odd squshing sounds.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yikes, I remember sleeping on the floor way back when, not fun. You do it cause you have to. I'd try and get the holes patched for now then get yourself a new air mattress when you can. Then when you have to return the mattress to the owner just give them the new one that you bought. I would mention the holes to the owner so they are aware of what your plans are.
    Do you think maybe the cats were on it?

http://www.walmart.com/browse/mattr..._values=427396+500580+500702&tab_value=Online

Walmarts got pretty reasonable prices. Sweet dreams. :)

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    What I would do if I really loved my wife is sit all nite with my fingers in the holes like that kid did at the dike. Or was that a Dike that did it at the levy?
    Or maybe keep blowing air in the stem while my lovely wife slept. :rofl2:
    Cats and air or water beds don't mix any more than cactus and airbeds do. Also remove your spures before sleeping.

9. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

You really take all the fun out of it!

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Most of what I suggest is fun. But somehow I don't think spurs on a water or airbed will work out. But I'm not really a cowboy. I only play one secretly in the backyard.
    MsKitty just told me to put the horse in the stall and head for the bunkhouse. Have a pleasent night whether on a water.,air, feather mattress, foam, or hardwood floor.:clap:

11. Xavier

Xavier Classic Goth

First off, no one wears spurs here. Secondly and so on, thankfully the gatos had nothing to do with the holes and this morning I found one of my large sewing needles for thick fabrics on the floor next to the bed. The culprit maybe? The air bed is one of those that has a built in pump.

12. NY12020

NY12020 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would google the manufacture of the bed and see how they recommend patching it

13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I'd be calling the Chicago cops to check fingerprints on that needle. The thought of where that needle could have ended up being stuck is frigtening. This ain't Joplin my friend. Keep the doors and wondows locked at all times.
    You've been way too serious since moving to the big windy city. Is this really Xavier?:confused: Or is this what happens from spending too many sleepless nites on a hardwood floor?

14. 65 2dr

65 2dr Fix 'em all -

C'mon - let the kid get up to speed in the 'Big City'!!!!!
    Being 'bent over' by Lincoln Park Bandits takes some out of you, and then to be greeted by the longest heat wave in Chicago's history while tying to get your bearings, doesn't make things any easier!

15. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think the above is the best idea, Xav. The air matress companies have different methods of patching due to glue compatibility. The fact is...the owner of that mattress may HAVE a patch kit. Some mattresses come with one.