Painted roofs

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by GreenMachine, Jun 28, 2012.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Member

Me neither, I was always thinking white or cream, or even black.....I think I will mock it up in Photoshop, since I use it at work :)

2. NY12020

NY12020 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'll be different.. when I get around to doing mine over I'm leaning towards doing it in a period correct textured black vinyl.. still not sure if I'm keeping the car the original Grabber Lime color although its growing on me

3. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I wish we'd had photoshop or equivalent when we first painted the Safari in 81. The colors are from a 77 Lincoln if I remember correctly and my wife loved the look so we got it. Originally the wagon was a solid gray with darker grey inserts and it looked like a hearse with the black interior. Not sure what the factory interior was like, it had been replaced in the early 70's. I must say that I prefer the darker color on top of ours, but it suits the body style.

I think any color you go to will change the entire look of the car. I'm not sure which will make it appear lower but I suspect the darker color will. As for the chrome pieces you are needing, for now you might consider having a chrome strip painted as is done on many customs and hotrods. Or make some in brass and have them chromed.

If you do a photoshop it would be fun to post it here and let us see as well. Oh sure, you will get lots of feedback, but in the end it is still what you, and your family decides that counts.

I sure do like it though. A very nice sleek looking wagon with a cool chick behind the wheel. She looks very pleased. You are lucky.

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Since it is a small piece, Green....it should ship easily. I think you should have good luck here....

http://car-part.com/

5. mashaffer

mashaffer New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think it is delightful as is. I will throw my hat in the keep it original ring.

mike

6. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I saw this post when it first started and have been thinking about it. I'm a fan of 2-tone paint jobs, but you have to be careful. What looks cool in your mind's eye can end up looking scary in 3D.

White would stand out and emphasize the roof line but it might be too contrasting. What about black satin? It all depends on the look or vibe you're trying to achieve.

Or you could just leave it as-is and still have a slick ride!

7. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

2 tones of green can work, if the two colours co-ordinate properly. Look at factory two tone combos from the 70s and 80s. G.M. and Ford both had factory two tones available on sedan models. I know Ford had them available through 91 on the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car sedans. G.M. had them, I believe, through to the last of the square Caprice models. For sure they were available on the Delta 88 and Buick LeSabre through 85. They had some colours that would look great on the wagon if you are repainting anyway. If your not doing the whole car, I would leave it original. New paint on the roof is going to make the original paint look dull, even if it is in perfect condition.

As for a vinyl roof, I would stay away from that. They have a rotten habit of rusting out roof panels, and changing the roof on a wagon is a job i don't want to think about!

8. GreenMachine

GreenMachine Member

Dug up this picture of another '69 in the same color green. Look, a factory white-painted roof! I wasn't positive they were still doing this by '69. Good to know.

[​IMG]

9. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like a vinyl roof to me.
    I stand by my original post. That wagon is a great example of its era. I would not change its factory appearance for anything.
    But....I have a hunch you will.:D

10. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would not paint YOUR roof (or car)

but I have photoshopped mine a few times :49:

Attached Files:

11. HillbillyHipster

HillbillyHipster Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The 69 Chevy Kingswood I once owned had a white painted roof on it, the rest of the car was a medium blue. It was a nice color combo. The trick would be to find the pieces of stainless trim that would have divided the colors that would go on the rear pillars..

12. Zal

Zal Zenior Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've been thinking about this. If that car were in my hands, I'd leave it original. However, I think white/creme would look pretty good. It's just paint so if you end up not liking it, change it back. Either way, she's a beauty.

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Here's my two cents. Paint the roof pink!:rofl2:

The wagon looks great the way it is. The wife looks happy in the wagon the way it is. Having a smiling happy wife and a great looking original colored wagon is as good as it gets.
    But if I were to paint it I would make the top white. But then only if the original roof were faded, scratched, or otherwise not nice looking. Also, you could just add a small pinstripped break between the colors in maybe black or darker green if you can't find the trim pieces.
    Why not save the money and buy other toys for your wagon, wife, or kids?:yup:

14. Hoop

Hoop Member