What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cool pics, guys!

That's where they filmed a lot of the outdoor scenes for the M.A.S.H. TV series.

2. Dewey Satellite

Dewey Satellite New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Love M.A.S.H! I have all the seasons on DVD watch them all the time. There is some very pretty scenery in the background. That is until they went into the studio only years.

3. TheLoyale

TheLoyale Subaru Alliance

Wagon Garage:
    Welded in one of my rust free rockers!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocker I got from Washington after I cut out the section I needed:
    [​IMG]

The Section I needed: Cut right below where the door seal seats, all the way down to the pinch weld at the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Cut off old rocker.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New rocker section welded in place, there will be no seam sealer used. I have welded a solid bead all the way along the cut line.
    [​IMG]

Flush with the doors.
    [​IMG]

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Make sure you spray the inside with cavity wax.....

5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Beautiful pics, looks like a great trip and warm too. :yup:

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Lots of work Loyale! I drove that wagon...it's a good driver, runs great. Looks like you are giving it a new life!(y)

7. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I did not have a day as impressive as TheLoyale's, but I did manage to pull all A/C components and deliver to a parts house to match the compressor, condensor and dryer. They are also going to fabricate new hoses with current fittings and update unit fittings as well.

Hopefully I will be cruisin' with cold air next trip!

Of course removing these parts revealed more work that I can accomplish while waiting on parts.

Attached Files:

8. Safari57

Safari57 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree - and one advantage of a wagon as the camper, and being young and, well, young, you can just steam up the windows rather than put up curtains :whew::1st::evilsmile:

9. 73super

73super Well-Known Member

Think I've pretty much finished all the body work! May end up painting the '58 this weekend.. stay tuned!

10. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's great to hear! :dance:
    This summer there will be ANOTHER '58 on the road.

Well, the sun finally came out yesterday. I decided it was time to get my hands dirty so I pulled the rear panels in the cargo area and installed some 6"x9" three-way speakers behind. The panels were just masonite with the fabric covering. I peeled away the fabric and cut a hole in the masonite. Then with a hot glue gun re-attached the fabric. With the panels back in place there is absolutely no hint of speakers being there. The front speakers I simply bolted up under the dash board. I'll probably curse them the next time I need to work on the wiring... but at least the sound system is concealed and sounds GREAT!
    So now when Mark and I are at a show selling shirts out of the back of the wagons... we have tunes!

11. Cyber-Wizard

Cyber-Wizard Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I pulled the Buick out of the garage yesterday and started to work on the interior. The wagon spent the winter in the garage with all of the interior parts piled in the back and the headliner on the roof. Nothing was actually installed apart from the front seats, the carpeting and two door panels. It's been driving me nuts that there's so much in there waiting to be done and our weather just hasn't allowed me to do it. I was sweating buckets out in the sun but, at long last, the interior has been reinstalled.:yahoo: I still need to put the door trim panels on two of the doors, but everything else is back in. It's still gushing fluid from what looks to be the steering gear but I noticed that the brakes were a little soft when I pulled it out of the garage so now I'm thinking I'll let my mechanic take a look at it. It's booked in on Thursday so I'll have it towed down there on Wednesday night. With the fluid leak fixed, it'll finally be drivable again!! Now I can start cleaning and polishing again and maybe even get rid of the ding to my newly painted woodgrain trim from where the Mrs bike fell on it. :mad: I also finished polishing the third of my four Eagle Alloys. One more and I can finally install those as well!!

I started working on my new Mercury again as well. I pulled out the floor mats to try and get all of the stains off of them. I went over the door panels, the dash, and the steering wheel with vinyl cleaner to get all of the grease stains and smudges off of everything and then went over them again with leather conditioner. The leather seats are beyond help and I think I'll replace them, but at least I can keep the rest of it looking good. I think the previous owner may have been a mechanic, or perhaps worked in the oil fields down there in Texas as the back side of the steering wheel was almost completely black. It was pretty nasty. The Merc started squeaking after I had new upper ball joints installed last week. I was going to work on that when I noticed that the front wheels were visibly out of alignment so I booked it back in at the mechanic for Wednesday as they said that they had done an alignment after putting in the ball joints. Since I couldn't resolve the squeak, I put the car back on the ground and started cleaning the rims. The coated aluminium alloys are a dark chocolate brown from the brake dust. It's been an absolute bear getting them looking even halfway clean again.

Felt good to be outside and making progress again.

12. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Feels great to finally get out doors, doesn't it? Sounds like you've a great start on you todo list CW.:)

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  13. Prafeston

Prafeston New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Got pulled over in the wagon today...whoops. Apparently my plates were expired! I was just returning from purchasing a roof rack from someone at Ft. Wood and the dang ticket is going to cost me more than the rack!! Really hoping I can talk my way out of this one...the hi-po told me if I renewed my plates quickly and called some number they might have mercy on me! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yakama racks? I think I paid $40 for mine on ebay. Take your proof of payment to the judge or court clerk and they will reduce or remove the fine.

15. Prafeston

Prafeston New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I'm hoping I can get it reduced/removed!

Also the racks are Thule and you can see they came with the windscreen...it's in the grass...it was rubbing against my precious paint! :) Paid 80 for the yack, but that seemed like a deal from what I've been watching of racks on ebay...and I didn't have to pay shipping...just had to drive 20 miles and get an 87 dollar ticket! :)