No head/brake/running lights 67 ford

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by rwilly, Mar 18, 2012.

  1. rwilly

    rwilly Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    42
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    seattle
    I am trying to get my 67 Country Sedan road ready. The lights worked last time I had it out, about 2 years ago. Now I got nothin. I replaced the light switch itself, the floor mounted high beam switch, checked all the fuses, tried it with another ignition switch out of a 66. The turn signals work. Under the dash the wires are a mess. For a brief minute the lights came on as I was messing with the dash light dimmer, but then everything went out again. I looked on the firewall and the only thing I can find is a circuit breaker that appears to be working correctly.
    The whole rats nest thing under the dash has me contemplating a new wiring harness.
    I know it has to be a loose wire somewhere but I can't locate it. Is there anything I am overlooking?
    Thanks, Ron
     
  2. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    I've written this several times before. There are many complete universal wiring kits on the market. One we use is under $200. Other more popular brands go for upwards of $400 or more. But all modern wire is plastic coated and these kits are marked ever 6" or so.
    Look in most streetrod type magazines and buy one of the lower priced kits.
    In the long run, it will save many hours of messing around and spoken words you kids shouldn't here...or the neighbor kids if you don't have any. :rofl2::mad: They come with simple directions and a modern fuse panel that makes it EZ.
     
  3. rwilly

    rwilly Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    42
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    seattle
    Thanks for the reply.
    I went out and looked at the harness in my 66 and it isn't nearly as bad as the 67. I will probably start off by taking the dash apart and pulling out any of the added wires that go nowhere, if that doesn't work out I will look into buying a new harness.
    Thanks again.
     
  4. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    The kits we use seem to be adapted for GM so I'd check first. We buy EZ Wiring Kits out of Bunnel, Florida. Most Rod & Custom, etc mags have their adds.
     
  5. 1964countrysedan

    1964countrysedan Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2011
    Messages:
    1,337
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    85
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Texas
    I recently had similar issues on a 1962 C10. It turned out to only be corrosion in some of the lamp sockets and the firewall plug under the hood. Remove a tail light bulb and check socket for corrosion. A small file fixed the light troubles. In your case there may be a connection under the dash that needs cleaning.
     
  6. the Rev

    the Rev senior junior Charter Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Messages:
    9,329
    Likes Received:
    54
    Trophy Points:
    232
    Wagon Garage:
    3
    Location:
    BC,canada
    and that would lead me to my suggestion....which is....open the hood....grab the harness at the firewall.....give it a wiggle a few times and see if anything comes on....a lot of times the contacts in the bulkhead can get all yucky and just need a cleaning...or abuse:D
     
  7. rwilly

    rwilly Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    42
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    seattle
    Where is the fuse for the headlights? I have a small fuse panel in the glovebox for heater,dome light,etc. but I can't find anything for the headlights! I see a circuit breaker monted on the frewall that is for the ignition I think, there is another circuit breaker looking thing that is for the fuel gauge. There are 2 flashers for some reason, turn signals and emergency lights, (seperate circuits?). I admit I havent spent too much time under the dash yet, but I am going to try and get some time to mess around with it this weekend. Thanks
     
  8. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    A lot of headlite switches have a fuse or circuit breaker mounted on them. Those get old and coroded or wires get loose.
    Often the four way flashers and signal lites are on separate relays.

    You could install a complete EZWire kit with fuse panel and relays, or other similar repo, over the weekend. You may spend years playing with the original wiring and still have shorts.
    Still it's worth a shot wiggling and cleaning for now.
    Daytona Spring car show, renamed Spring Turkey Run apparently has vendors selling several brands at a discount price. If you know anyone going this would be a good time to buy.
     
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

Share This Page