'76 Pontiac Grand Safari - What's it Worth??

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Pharoah72, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Pharoah72

Pharoah72 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Back in 1976 I purchased new this Pontiac Grand Safari.
    She's been part of the family ever since; lots of vacation and road trip memories...
    It's now time to say goodbye and my hope is to send her off to someone that will appreciate the car as much as we have.

What is a good price to ask for the car?
    Where should I list it?
    Any comments and input would be great!! THANKS!

It has 102,000 original miles ,kept in garage, light restoration few years ago,new air conditioning,new Battery, power doors and windows,,400 v8 engine, powered tailgait and rear window. Hunter green with wood grainside panels, leather interior etc.

Attached Files:

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's really a shame Pharoah that you are selling it, because if it's been in your family since new, it's part of your family. A lot of us here look on this as akin to giving away your beloved pet dog....

To really pin down what it could be worth, we'd need to see a few more images - engine, close-ups of the interior and cargo area; any blemishes on the body; tires, etc. We're trying to see just how 'sharp' the wagon is. It looks good already (heck - I might be interested if money wasn't so tight...)

You wagon is one where it might be adviseable to do a really thorough detailing, including a good polish/wax job, to really make the wagon shine. Then, in anticipation of the sale, find a good scenic spot and take some really good pics (don't make them too large though.

Hard to put a price on it right now.... we've seen these clamsells go upwards of $10k or more- but in that range it has to be almost as good as straight off the showroom floor. Yours maybe not be that far off....

As to where to advertise, I'd start off with Craig's List, then place an ad here: http://www.cars-on-line.com/index.html

It does cost $45, but seems to have a good selection of really nice vehicles on it. There's a special pre-selected 'station wagon' sorting option on the site, which makes it nice for us. (In the column on the left on the main page...)

With the kind of money you could possibly get for it, I'd make sure everything works- at least as much as possible. Every "I was going to get to that..." or I wasn't using that feature, so I idn't worry about it...." takes $$$ off a potential buyer's offer......

Hope this helps.....

Marshall

3. Pharoah72

Pharoah72 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Marshal for the response, I'll do what you said and follow up.
    For now here are the rest of the pics I have of the car, will take more after the detailing.

Attached Files:

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't forget some underbody pics in your ads. People are going to want to see how bad (or good) any rust problem is.......

5. shadbelly4

shadbelly4 Member

I wish I could make it mine

One of my clients had a wagon like this in tan and I loved to drive it It pulled a horse trailer great He gave it one of his workers and it turned to junk in a year Broke my heart Jerita

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '76 Pontiac Grand Safari 3-seat station wagon in #3 condition ("car show" condition but not showroom condition) at just under $2700. In showroom (#2) condition, the value listed is about $4400.

Remember, for an old car to command a high value, three factors have to be considered.

1. Condition
    2. Rarity
    3. Intrinsic desirability

The problem with station wagons is #3. Your car might be in beautiful shape, and it might be one of only two left on the road in the entire world, but if it's a car no one wants, it's not going to command a high price. They call this "collectibility."

Unfortunately, as much as we all love them on this board, in the wider world, station wagons are not considered as desirable as other body styles by people who collect old cars.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Great color combo for that model, good luck with the sale. Clean it up real good! Get all you repair/service records organized. Fix minor stuff like hose missing from air cleaner, wheel center caps missing, etc. :)

8. Mark Ervin

Mark Ervin New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'd love that wagon, It is in such excellent driver condition, very similar the the shape my wagon is in, maybe a bit better here and there.
    It's kind of all my cars rolled into one... It also reminds me of my dad's '76 Buick just enough to evoke many fond memories. The problem here is, I already have too many cars, one being my '90 Estate another an old pick-up with a bad eye and a sour 8mpg; (on par with that Ponch, I'm sure.)
    What it has going for it is that it is a Pontiac.
    Pontiac probably sold fewer than other marques that year and I bet few survive in as good a condition. The 400 is probably of value to true Pontiac guys though, to me, having it in the wagon seems the natural home to keep it in.

It's like the old saying goes, "It's worth what you can get for it."

I'd like to see several photos of the underbelly as well, esp. in the areas where rust hides and as to the overall condition of the frame.

As is, on sight, I'd wanna get it for cheap, say, the $800 I paid for my wagon a few years back but If I were selling, I'd try to start at around $3,000 but be very willing to drop down.
    I'm with so-and-so, tho,..... er ....... you've had it in the family for so long, why not fix it and keep it?

9. oldmopar

oldmopar Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice looking wagon. As to listing besides the classifieds here I would also list on any of the Pontiac forums that have a interest in the 70's. ebay works also ad is free you only pay if it sells. Price start high, you can always lower the price, maybe 4k or more unless you are in need of quick cash. Here in the north east the action does not pick up until around March

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012