Dashpad removal on a 96 Roadmaster?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by HillbillyHipster, Jan 1, 2012.

1. HillbillyHipster

HillbillyHipster Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I need to replace the broken tape deck on my 96 Buick Roadmaster wagon. While I have the faceplate off of the dash I thought maybe I should remove the dashpad so it will be easier for me to vinyl dye it. The pad is good, but it's discolored from sun exposure. Is the passenger airbag attached to the pad? How big a job is this to do? Would I be better off, just taping it off?

2. oldmopar

oldmopar Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure about your car but most of the orignal dash pads are glued on so it will not come off easy. I would just recolor it

3. Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight New Member

Wagon Garage:
  4. boogie1468

boogie1468 boogie1468

Wagon Garage:
    The upper IP pad is removable, but it takes a lot of effort. There are several spring clips at the front of the pad - near the windshield. But near the back of the pad there are lots of M4.2 self tapping screws (with a 7 mm hex head). To gain access to these screws you have to remove the reveal molding around the radio, glove box and cluster. These reveal moldings are held in place with lots of tenacious spring clips and you have a high likelihood of breaking the molding when you try and pry them off.

I just removed the top pad from my 1996 CAPRICE, and it is in my opinion worth your time and effort to dye the pad in place.