Dash removal 55 Ford Wagon

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by somatdad, Nov 20, 2011.

  1. somatdad

    somatdad Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    37
    Location:
    dallas oregon
    I have a 55 Ford Country Sedan that I am rewiring and wanting to make it as easy and clean as possible wanted to remove the dash to gain access.

    Well the dash does not seem to want to come off. I have removed all the obvious nuts and bolts.
    So Far I have:

    Removed Steering column bolts to dash.
    E Brake bolts
    L braket bolts on either side of dash
    Nuts along the inside top of dash to frame

    So far the dash is not even loose.

    I have not removed the trim piece on either side of the dash which may also be holding it in. I have removed the screws that hold it in place, but the trim piece is also stuck in place and I do not want to force that. (see Pic) dscn1371.jpg

    So any ideas or help from someone who may have done this in the past would be welcome.

    Thanks
    Jim
     
  2. Fat Tedy

    Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2009
    Messages:
    18,099
    Likes Received:
    1,096
    Trophy Points:
    1,108
    Location:
    Victoria BC Canada
    I can't say for sure on your wagon, but from previous experiences with older cars theres a good chance several spot welds are keeping it in place.

    Looking at your pic, that piece may (?) be lapping under the window trim, you may have to remove that but do some more searching/hunting for info before you get to involved.
     
  3. Jairus

    Jairus Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    1,292
    Likes Received:
    117
    Trophy Points:
    145
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Salem Oregon
    This makes me want to NEVER attempt to remove the dash from my '58.
    Sorry I am no help....
     
  4. dave from indy

    dave from indy New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    Messages:
    153
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    indianapolis, indiana usa
    If that assembly is anything like the next generation ('57-'58), the curved end pieces are bolted to the center. There may also be brackets under the ends attached to the body side. Is the steering column bracket also the one for the brake and clutch pedals? You may also have to pull the trim garnish along the bottom edge of the windshield to access screws holding the top edge of the dash in place.

    I didn't find anything in my shop manuals about dash removal so I would tend to to assume it was something the dealership mechanics were never expected to do. The dash is shown separately from the body shell components in the parts illustrations, so I am guessing it would not be welded in during body assembly but sub-assembled and bolted in as a unit later.

    Unfortunately the angle of the dash illustration in the parts catalog makes it difficult to determine where all the mounting holes are.
     
  5. somatdad

    somatdad Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    37
    Location:
    dallas oregon
    Thanks Dave for checking. I did hear back from a post on the Ford Barn Forum and you are correct that I need to remove the trim pieces from the sides and along the windshield. Other than that it appears that the piece does come out, recommended to also remove the steering wheel to gain some space to work and not scratch the dash.

    It will be January before I have a chance to get back on it, dang grown up responsibilities take you away from the real fun in life, working on the project car.
     
  6. ModelT1

    ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

    Joined:
    May 18, 2011
    Messages:
    22,123
    Likes Received:
    1,441
    Trophy Points:
    808
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Central Illinois
    You don't need to remove the complete dash to rewire a car. Remove the gauge cluster, the radio speaker and radio, the glove box door and the cardboard box, and whatever else is small and removeable. We've rewired several 1955 and 1957 Chevys. Son recently did a 1954 Mercury and has rewired many ohter cars, including his 1976 El Camino and a 1958 Ford. He just rewired the 1955 Chevy wagon again with modern "Eaze-Wire kit. Very reasonable and well made. At that time he switched to a Dakota Digital dash panel. As was written, many dashes are spot welded in and have many hidden bolts and screws. Just work under, around, and through the openings. Aside from a stiff neck and a few four letter words, it's a piece of cake!:banghead3:
     
  7. somatdad

    somatdad Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    37
    Location:
    dallas oregon
    Thanks for the tips. Hadn't thought about taking the radio speaker out. Eventually it will have to come out to repaint. Always more than one way to get the job done.
     

Share This Page