56' Chev prospect

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by xxl, Oct 15, 2011.

1. xxl

xxl New Member

I'm looking at a 56' 4dr Chev wagon. Is 5k a fair price. surface rust, parked 6 years, arizona car, 327, all trim in back...

Needs paint, not sure if she runs?

Is 5k fair price?

Thanks.......

Attached Files:

2. Polara Pat

Polara Pat New Member

Looks like it's been sitting a while. Body looks good though. How's the interior? Check the usual spots for rust like the lower quarters, floor pans etc. I would assume that you would at least have to go through the brakes. 5 Gs sounds alright but you may need to put another grand in to make it roadworthy. Hard to say without actually seeing it.

3. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In 1999 my dad and I paid $4700 for a barn find 1957 chevy del ray. It was all original and had the 1968 license plate on it from when it was parked.Body was great with a soft ball size dent in roof.So in my opinion if you have good sheet metal to work with it is worth to pay a little more for the body it will save you in the long run.
    The '55 I have now was actually a 2nd car we bought after taking on a '55 project when we finished the '57. 1st car looked good until we stripped and media blasted it.Then it needed floor pans etc. So we found another one from Oklahoma with plans of using the 2 to build 1. Well the Oklahoma car was rust free and only needed trunk pan due to someone cutting it out and welding a raised bar to mount air shocks to (Not sure what that was all about) but had a good one in other car. Paid $3500 for Oklahoma body in '01.

Beside floor pan,tri-five's headlight "eyebrows" and door hinge pockets are some of the common areas of rust.

4. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    As you've already found out, $5000 sounds fair, especially if there is little rust. I wouldn't worry about the interior. Altho this depends on what you plan on doing with your new wagon. It is rare to find the front bench seat and original steering wheel, oil filter. With a 327 you will already have many non original parts under the hood. Surely the oil bath filter has been long gone. If building as a mild custom, interior doesn't matter. And unless nearly mint it still won't matter if restoring it. All of that will have to go anyway. The floor pans in front near kick panels, spare tire compartment, around rear wheelwells, and above headlite eyebrows are the worst rust areas. But if most of the body is straight and rust free, you can buy everything to build another 56 Chevy. Of course, the less you buy, the less repair work, the better the deal was when you bought it. The more stainless trim that is straight the better the deal. You can buy new grilles, rechromed bumpers, etc. If building a custom, or streetrod, whatever you want to call it, painting shiney stuff body color or flat black is another way out. Also if the rear side glasses , tailgate glass and lower gate ar okay, that's all a big plus. These wagons do rust at bottom of tailgates and lift gates. -----------A good 327 could be worth half of that offer! Good luck.

5. xxl

xxl New Member

Have another pic of the car. Did find a quarter size hole in the driver side floor plan, but that could be repaired with a replacement pan.

Car has newer headliner, the original bench seat was replaced with buckets LOL

However not lookn for show winning quality, just a good driver with style.

The door panels are shot, but hey they can be recovered...

i'm liking this car, probably go for it.

Attached Files:

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    The company who makes Por-15 also makes a putty type repair material for small holes. Using their precleaner, Por-15, and the putty, even larger non structure holes can be repaired. Who's gonna see under the carpets? Underneith you can sand it as smooth as you like or hope it is under a brace. I painted everything under my wagon with a rubberized undercoat so much of my hard work sanding was a waste of time. ---On that 56, even the bumpers look decent in the photos. Better grab it before someone else does. If that eyebrow on the left fender is not rusted thru, or is only slightly bad, it can also be repaired with Por-15 putty or even fibre-glass. What was that address, by the way? HA! PS As any vehicle, check the rockers and the cross braces to the frame under there. Still no big deal.

7. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like a good solid car. I am with cat on the small hole. Floor pans are not the easiest thing to change if you don't do them often so I would repair it. The bench seats are rare because everyone ditched them for the buckets, I didn't realize until I was restoring 55 and 57 (both had original bench's) and had the seats out and had 3 people in one day stop and ask about buying them.So I did a quick search and found that info out...anyhow good luck!

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    ---I'll be over in the morning tireman. Let's go get that wagon! :evilsmile:

9. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    It does sound tempting :rofl2: Lucky for xxl I am good lookin' and not rich :rofl2::rofl2: (can't even type that lie without laughing) or I would go get that wagon... :rofl2::D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    HA HA We do have a lot in common. I wouldn't go get it if I was rich or good lookin unless he really didn't want it. :wave:

11. wingnut

wingnut Non-Hockey Fan

I think that 56 is a darn purdy car but instead of asking yourself if the car is worth the price you should first ask yourself if you really want the car if you had your choice of buying any car you wanted that might be out there listed for the same price as this one.

Would you rather have a two-door? sedan delivery? maybe even a different year or make? .... the price is usually secondary and is usually forgotten well after the distaste of owning something that you hastily bought and are not happy with.

12. 1tireman

Wagon Garage:
    I am the same way...and as long as it is taking me to get the engine back in my wagon, I don't know if I would live long enough to do another complete restoration :rofl2:

13. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    I sure understand that! I'm wondering if I'm gonna live long enough to get the new wiper system, digital dash, cruise, wiring, and Vintage Air in our 55 wagon. Son tore it apart then deserted me. Right now I am hopeless as a car guy. I'm a good supervisor!:rofl2:

14. xxl

xxl New Member

Have the deal set at 4k. I'm a buyer of a 56'. Woohoo !!!

Here's a pic of my Falcon wagon and a local sedan...

Attached Files:

15. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    :taz: Let us know what you actually got for a 56 Chevy wagon. How much rust it really has and the hidden secrets under the paint. Sounds like a good deal. :camera: