Conversion Vans

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by moliva1568, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

Dodge from 71-the end of production and Chevy/GMC vans 70-95 are unibody. Fords have a body on frame construction. But that will change when they start building and selling the Ford Transit here in North America, not to be confused with the Transit connect.
    [​IMG]

2. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey, mo....what year is that blue Gladiator that you liked? How much were they asking for it?

3. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  4. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Unfortunately securing a bank or cu loan is most likely far from possible. I could probably purchase outright a decent private owner van but i need the tradeline to help rebuild my history. I'll take the loss on the van if it means helping to be eligible for a home loan sometime in the near future.

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Thaat blue Chevy sure reminds me of our 1987. That one really is a good lookin van. We bought ours in Central Illinois off what was the back lot of a Chevy dealer. What I call junk row. Vans weren't selling in 1994 and I was really looking for a ramp truck of some sort to move with. But this van was super clean underneith and inside. The original owner never drove it in snow. Most mies were put on it going to Florida winters---This was a big help to me. The van knew how to get there! Depends where the rust is and how bad next time you look. :) A note. We stopped at that same Chevy dealer this summer, over 17 years later and the same salesman was there and remembered us and the Chevy van. But we didn't trade this time..Almost bought an HHR panel.... Cute, but barely room for two. One of your dogs might find it a good doghouse!:rofl2:

6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Leather or Cloth

About leather or cloth interiors.......... Chevy van was cloth and looked as good after 250,000---and another 100,000 with next owner. Dodge van had maroon leather and was garage kept till I bought it. I guess Florida sun was not a good thing. In less than a year the interior looked like a 150 year old elephant in Africa. Cracked and ripped. Had to cover it with towels and still was ashamed of it. In my opinion cloth is more comfortable and longer lasting. But, many other things in the Dodge van began cracking and breaking. It think it had under 100,000 on it when I traded. Chevy had 305 or 307 and Dodge 360. Both pulled heavy trailer or RV easily! Fuel mileage was way better than the 15.3 I get on my truck. Thinkin around 17-18!~ Danged, I want another van. :wave:

7. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I didn´t dare to suggest an older Van, but it might be clear now that I love those! On the interior, I think leather is more practical (to clean, but also when wet from rain), but I have seen many broken or ripped leather, while most cloth interiors may have crumbled foam underneed, the textile is still ok.

This is mine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Except for the standard roofline, my 1987 Chevy was nearly the same, color and all. Stop torturing me. If it hadn't had so many miles on it I would have kept it. If we could have gotten another hi-top close to what I paid for a new Dodge quad cab I would have traded. Terrible when I could buy a new truck cheaper than a used van. :banghead3:

9. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a nice van and i love the interior. The rear bench looks more comfortable than my couch!
    When i was in Amsterdam, i definitely didn't see any full size vans. Mostly these
    [​IMG]

And these
    [​IMG]

To touch on your post cat, whatever dealer i find the van at, I'm hoping they have a nice quad cab ram 02-05 as well. Hopefully between my savvy talking and end of year rush to sell (if there is such a thing) , i can walk away with a good deal on both. I miss my ram dearly.

10. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just noticed too that the captain chairs turn around. I think you just set the standard for what my ideal choice would look like.

11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, when I had my last van conversion ('83 Chevy C20 w/305V8) it had the quad captain's chairs on swivels - very convenient. IIRC, the driver's seat was powered, too......

Really nice to take on a 350 mile trip from SoCal to Vegas......
    Also took a trip through the southwest to the Grand Canyon and Utah, pulling a 23' travel trailer. Very easy to tow. Didn't miss not having a 350, except for maybe some steep hills.

12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    -----Yep,I never realized how roomy and cozy those ugly boxes were till my wife pointed to the Chevy van in the back of that Chevy dealership. So, my 1987 was most likely a 305 too! Not the lowly 307! I couldn't really tell the difference in it and a 350 pulling a trailer in mountains. I'm sure there is a great difference but who cares if it works and fuel mileage is decent. :yup: It had atranny cooler added. But I put the larger refridgerator cooler on it I'd used on many trucks. Dang it. I left it on the Chevy van!

13. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

14. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Many learn the hard way that external tranny coolers are very important. And they can be bought for $50 to $100 depending on the size and style.-----------At first I wondered about bypassing them in colder winter weather. But never seemed to have any problems.--I did always bypass and skip the original radiator cooler.

15. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The advantage of the radiator cooler should be that it will actually warm the oil in the beginning. After having it for a few weeks and driving it around town, I started wondering about those two pipes sticking out of the radiator.... without any hose. After further inspection I found they connected the to and return line, leaving no cooling. Around town was not a problem, but I am glad I added a big B&M external cooler before going to Italy in the mountains.

I still think the 350 is having far more power then the 305, but it all depends on what you do with it I guess. Mine is the fuel injected one with OD. It will drive 110 mph and although it has been converted to LPG, it still gets almost 15mpg on the highway and about 13 average (after 12k miles).

I love it!