Conversion Vans

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by moliva1568, Oct 14, 2011.

1. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Does anyone have one? I'm looking to get one now and was curious whether dodge, chevy, or ford would be better. I know the conversion companies vary and wil dictate the interior. My main concern is more mechanical as i intend to drive NY to NV in a couple months with the family. Is any one more reliable than the other? The price range i'll probably fall in will get me a 98-03 model. The few that have peaked my interest most have mileage around 100k-115k. Hopefully it's highway mileage. I plan on purchasing from a dealer because i need to get financing to establish a tradeline to rebuild my credit. I'll put down a good chunk to get a small payment. Any tips for my search?

Thanks

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In your price range, a Mercedes-based Dodge Sprinter conversion is probably out, and I would avoid any of the Dodge Tradesman-based conversions simply because it's a very old design (dating back to 1972) without very many updates.

Ford Econolines are tough

I kinda like the newer Chevy Express and GMC Savana vans - modern, all the nice features, good engines.

For me, it would probably come down to GM or Ford, depending on which one I found that met my needs. I've had van conversions in the past, and the most important recommendation I can make is to pass on the light-duty 1/2 ton ones - try to get a 3/4 ton rated model
    Ford E-250
    Chevy Express 2500, etc......

I found the 1/2 ton models to be very poor handlers - lots of mush in the suspension department. The 3/4 tons might ride a bit rougher, butwith cushy seats you won't notice too much. 3/4ton more towing-capable, too.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  3. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks. A sprinter was very far from my mind as i know they are expensive. I'm glad you were specific in the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton because while i don't plan on towing anything, the handling will be important. I was looking at a dodge ram b1500 so i guess i should let that pass. I like the express most in that it seems to offer the most room.

4. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I agree with the 3/4 vans. The others are actually too light for conversion vans and often have problems with suspension, bearings and diffs. Eeven the 3/4 will often have singing diffs, but that is not too bad, probably with the newer model and only 100k your save from that. The 3500 types are really strong, but also parts will be more expensive en less choice eg wheels.

5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    --------My first ever van was a 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton low roof model 305 with 115,000 miles. Used it to move seven loads 1000 miles to Florida, sleeping half way each direction in van. Drove it seven more years, camping and traveling 250,000 miles total. Only sold it because of mileage. Bought a 1997 Dodge 1/2 ton hi-top conversion van. Nice looking piece of crap! One year was all we used it. Nicer for camping but always something falling off or breaking. Both ran handled, and rode well. Love to have a newer GM conversion van. Check the local Thrifty Nickle type papers and local adds.

6. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Also, v8 or v6? I'm guessing the recommendation of the 3/4 automatically means v8. The v6 may be better on gas but what about the strain on it under load.

7. thereverendbill

thereverendbill New Member

Wagon Garage:
    in the V6 or V8 question the miliage would be pretty much the same cause that is some weight for a V6 to push down the road.

8. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm noticing that i don't see too many 250's and 2500's. Mostly 150's and 1500's. I wonder too if i should look outside of my immediate area. I imagine a lot would be available in FL but getting down there to buy one isn't feasible.

9. thereverendbill

thereverendbill New Member

Wagon Garage:
    if you find anything in central PA that catches your eye I would be more than happy to look something over in person for you and snap some photos

10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

OK, let's back up the van here a bit.......

I jumped on my response when I saw the words 'van conversion' without reading your entire post.......

OK - family trip from NY to Nevada in a couple months.....

Based on just those parameters, lots of vehicles would qualify - even regular wagons....

How many peeps?
    What ages?
    How much baggage?
    How long a trip (time)?
    Need to tow a trailer?

I'm wondering if a regular wagon or maybe a minivan could fill the bill......

11. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Did he actually say "min***n"????

12. moliva1568

moliva1568 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I believe he did. It would be 2 adults, 3 children (15, 12,7) , and 2 dogs (husky and pitbull). From start to finish, it would be a 9-10 day trip. There would be no towing necessary. Unless while perusing craigslist in NV, i come across a great deal on a rust free wagon. Daddy deserves a souvenir too, right? I knew the why not a wagon question would come up eventually. We want a conversion van as an extra vehicle so we have a spacious mode of transportation when we do road trips. A van just fits that role a little better than a wagon. Having the bed in the back and ample room for luggage, kennels, and separation for the kids, makes it a little more versatile in some situations. Especially if we need to sleep in it. My wife had back surgery a few years ago so just sitting in the car can be uncomfortable let alone sleeping in it. Thanks for the offer to check out a van in PA. That has been one of the areas i was looking at so it would be very helpful reverendbill.

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I was also swaying to the large station wagon possiblity for you. Especially since this is a station wagon forum. :) When we bought our Dodge quadcab truck we wanted another conversion van. Living in Florida it would have been cheaper buying another house than a van. So we chose the truck with topper. In six years we've slept in the topper with air mattress one time. Not real convenient or easy for old bodies to crawl in and out. Since it''s been since 1975 since I've had a wagon, 72-75, we forgot about that choice. Rarely did we see station wagons here until I joined this forum and watch for them. For the two of us a full size wagon would be ideal........... But a conversion van is really what I and you need. Three kids and dogs will make it rather crowded but still there will be a decent bed and enough room to move around. Considered a slightly larger RV type van conversion? Keep looking.

14. Senri

Senri Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think you are right. I love wagons and I really would love to have one again, but at the moment, the conversion van fits the bill beter. I only have one son, but going to visit my wife's family in Italy 3 times a year ( a 2000 mile roundtrip) still requires a lot of space. The co,fort of the space in the van, certainly on rainy trips at stops were you can still move and stretch without getting wet are very nice.
    I also use the van for the biking trips were I can have several bikes with me, a few buddies and have a comfortable sleeping place.
    I am not sure how the modern engines are, but I found a huge differene between the 305 and 350 engines. If you pack it up really good (like you will with all the people, animals and stuff) and even more when you will go into the mountians, the extra power of the bigger engine is not luxury but a necessity.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you bought!

15. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    i beleave i will chime in here...as the resident closet "van freak".

the most common conversion you will find is gladiator. by glaval. or explorer
    the best (imho) is the "Elk Van" by elkhart vans (elkhart indiana)
    lots of toys such as on board vacuum etc...little niceties that you love when you have them.

you cant go wrong with the ford econoline or chevy. but i pesonally like the 93-97 dodge. its pleasing to the eyes and as krash said...they havent changed them since the late 70's (i look at that as a plus!). but are more of a P.I.T.A when it comes to engine work cause of the very tight engine bay. either way...with the load you will be hauling...a v6 would be more of a frustration than a gas saver.

3/4 ton..even 1 tons are out there. if you are lucky enough to come across a 7.3 powerstroke powered econoline conversion...if its in good shape ..snag it!