Newbie with a '66 Country Sedan owned since 1998, finally getting serious with a rolling resto. Tahoe Turquoise/Wimbledon White, bought from the original owner who ordered some nice options; PW, AC, DeLuxe Trim (Country Squire interior), AM/FM, Twin rearview mirrors, PS, PB, 390 2bbl, HD suspension, and more. Larger, she's the 6-passenger vesion with the first-year Magic Doorgate. Luckily, I've buying wagon-specific parts all along, so now it's time to get her back on the road after a seven year slumber. Glad to have a place to talk wagons (we had a few way back when) and to share info. TG
Welcome 66CS! Good to see another 66 Ford in the bunch. If you could do me a favor, can you post the numbers from the trim tag on the driver's door. I've been helping out with the 66 Ford Registries (http://66ford.fordregistries.com/), and since Ford's records have been lost prior to 1967, the registry is trying to build up a database of known 66 full-size Fords. You can send it to me in a private message if you want. It will help out a lot. Thanks!
m26, I'll get a pic of the door tag at the garage this AM and post this PM...in the meantime, here's the window sticker and build sheet. What would be really cool would be to find an original '66 order form, which would explain the various group options and answer many questions. Like when you ordered full wheel covers, your wheels were black, rather than body-color (we've seen the real clean clock-delete 80K turquoise CSedan that just sold; it has body-color wheels, and likely came with dog dishes). Larger Larger MotoMike, What makes this one unusual (and the reason I "saved" it) is the upgraded Squire interior, PW, AM/FM, AC, etc; I've never seen another CSedan ordered this way. Often, only the Squires were similarly optioned up. I'll share the story of its acquisition for another day, but now I've got to get to the garage and finish some tailgate window wiring issues. TG
Thanks for the posting the pictures 66CS. I'll be looking for the trim tag picture later. I can forward your questions to Tom Yanulaytis, who runs the 66 Ford Registry. He is very knowledgeable about 66 Fords and I think he can answer all of your questions. It would make it easier to get your e-mail address, and have Tom answer you directly, and I can be CC'd on the messages, since I'm curious about it too.
to the station wagon group. Great find in that wagon. Rare find, one owner, great shape. WOW! Maybe that paint will even clean up so you can leave it as a survivor. We all enjoy great stories. Tell us. Enquiring minds want to know!
I wish she could be a survivor, but the paint's too far gone for anything but a repaint; dead and really bad on the hood and rear fender tops. The roof's fine except for the drip rail valleys, so a-painting she will go! Larger Larger, assembled in Atlanta, May 2, sold by the dealer May 5, they traded a '56 V8 Chevy wagon, according to the sales form. Soon after moving to Anderson, SC in 1988, I started seeing this car around town, and left a biz card under the wiper a couple times (You know, "If you ever want to sell this car..."), but never heard anything back. In the Fall of '96, an ad ran in the local paper for a '66 Country Sedan for $1,000, and I figured it was the same one I'd seen. About two weeks later, another ad ran, this time for $750, and I jumped on it. The owner's son was clearing out his father's estate, and the car had to go. He didn't want it to go to a painter or become a bricklayer's beater (no offense to tradesmen!), and I assured him it would eventually be restored. His dad owned a construction company, renovating homes and such, and bought the car for work and family duties. Haven't seen the son around town for many years, so I guess he's moved away. Still have the ads from the paper in the car's file. I've spent the last week sorting out the PWs, replacing all switches with NOS, and one new window motor. The carpet's shot (an easy fix), the door panels are okay, not perfect, and the front seat needs some panels redone, but I have the upholstery. The engine bay is not too pretty, but the AC still blows cold. Next is a brake job after her long sleep (she was last registered in 2004), but all this is stuff I can do. I'm excited about her progress, and happy to find this Forum, as my siblings and I have fond memories of our '68 10P Ranch Wagon that schlepped us all over the country back then. Thanks for y'all's kind greetings, and I'll start navigating the site and gushing about all these other fine wagons soon! TG
I actually grew up real near the Atlanta(Hapeville) GA Ford plant and toured it before they closed it. Here I am calling it a Squire......yeah, bet those upgrades were pretty rare on the Country Sedan of that era.
Welcome, i love these wagons, i seen a picture at top of screen once that someone had a 65/66 ford wagon painted blue with white hood stripes it made me fall in love with these wagons, if i can find picture i will post it.