New Station Wagon Member

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Griswold 90, Jul 25, 2011.

1. The Stickman

The Stickman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I just noticed something. The 90's had rear 3 point belts. I wonder if that can be retrofited? Also I have heard the 90's have the front belts in the doors. Is this true. Makes it a one year only deal.

2. Griswold 90

Griswold 90 Wagon Lover

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I have seen a few with that burgundy interior. Ever since my wood grain siding started peeling, I've been toying with the idea of stripping it completely off and painting a red/maroon glitter finish to offset the white top. My girlfriend hates the idea. A wine red glitter finish doesn't quite match a beige interior with a wood grain dash. But if I had a burgundy interior, it would be perfect!

3. Griswold 90

Griswold 90 Wagon Lover

Wagon Garage:
    I don't know, Stickman. To be completely honest, I know very little about cars and I'm trying to read through the Haynes Repair Manual to pick up some basic knowledge. I know how to do basic maintenance like changing the oil, changing tires, etc., but other than that I have a LOT to learn. From reading your rebuild thread, I didn't understand half of what you were talking about, but it was still fun to watch your car evolve. ;)

4. The Stickman

Wagon Garage:
    Well if you want to know anything or are curious about something just ask. That's how you learn. It's how I learned all I know. I still am.

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

:Welcome:, awesome tank!:tiphat::yup:

6. Griswold 90

Griswold 90 Wagon Lover

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, Stickman. I'm sure I'll be taking you up on that offer before you know it. And thanks for the compliment, Fat Tedy. I LOVE your wagons! My first car was an 89 Cutlass Ciera wagon, and I was crushed when that baby bit the dust. When I decided to go all out and get a full-sized wagon, a Buick Roadmaster was my first choice, since I had experienced driving one first-hand. When my Oldsmobile came along, it was too good to pass up, and I am tickled to death with it. But I've always thought there was something special about Buicks. Yours is a beauty, for sure. Thanks for sharing. :)

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I hummed and hawed over, a 88 like yours but it had blue interiour.....

[​IMG]

I never saw the car as it was a few hours drive and I just didn't have the time. Sounded nice but seller wouldn't come up with interiour pics, and some other questions. Seller offered to deliver by trailer but I turned down the offer because... what a hornets nest that would be if I didn't like it;). Seller also claimed blue smoke start ups....

Hind site,,,,I'll never know and it's gone:cry:

His origonal asking price was $800. If it were in my city, I would have looked the minute I saw the ad.
    http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1988-Oldsmobile-Custom-Cruiser_14427817

....and now there is no other wagon perioud, I'm making new car payments for my honeys ride

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. Griswold 90

Griswold 90 Wagon Lover

Wagon Garage:
    I think you made the right call, Fat Tedy. Just too many uncertainties. But thanks for posting this---now I know about the chrome trim along the sides. I've seen a Custom Cruiser in a movie before, and it looked like the same model as mine, except it had those chrome trim pieces along the side right through the middle of the wood grain. Now I know it was probably a 1988 model. Thanks!

9. Griswold 90

Griswold 90 Wagon Lover

Wagon Garage:
    Stickman, I feel like an idiot. I was reading over this thread and finally realized what you were talking about. Yes, the driver's and front passenger's seat belts are attached to the doors. I've never seen that before in any car. Thanks for that info. I guess it's one thing that makes my wagon a little unique. Also, I read somewhere that there were only about 3,500 Custom Cruisers manufactured in 1990, making it a very limited production line. Do you know if that's true?

10. The Stickman

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds about right. They switched body styles in 91 and in doing so switched all the drivetrain stuff to all different engine and trans. The 90 wagon was alos I believe the last car to use a carb, and definately the last to use an Olds V-8. So the 90 was just a hold out until a new model could come in.

11. arembrandt

arembrandt New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very nice!!

Beautiful wagon! Good luck with her and welcome! :dancing:

12. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Nice wagon, I see cornering lights...........bet its a highly optioned model?:Welcome:

13. Griswold 90

Griswold 90 Wagon Lover

Wagon Garage:
    You're right on that, MotoMike. It has almost every available option. There are only a few options it lacks, one of those being a power antenna.

That makes sense, Stickman. You are correct, in 91 Oldsmobile started using fuel injected engines, so the 90 model was the last with a carb. I've driven a 94 Buick Roadmaster, and it surpasses my Custom Cruiser in handling and general smoothness of the ride, but I much prefer the classic body style.

Plus, after 1990 GM started using plastic roof racks on their full-sized wagons. They just don't seem very substantial. I've used my roof rack to haul heavy furniture, and it's rock solid. So that's one feature I love and wouldn't trade for.

14. arembrandt

arembrandt New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi MotoMike, thanks for the welcome! Those LED cornering lights are actually standard for the wagon model, I just snapped that picture 'cause I love the way they look at night! :camera: The car itself isn't TOO heavily optioned like a WRX, but it does have a few extra goodies like a nav system, alloys & sport grille. I hope to post some interior shots soon. Great to meet you!
    Alex

15. lorkav

lorkav New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I just bought THAT car !

I just drove the car you have previously commented on ( that was on e-bay) last week...) , HOME today from Connecticut !! Looks EXACTLY like yours only , as you said, is blue inside. OMG it is SO cool. :D We're twins ! :yahoo: