SEM Ford vinyl paint question...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by 63rarewingedgod, Apr 29, 2008.

1. 63rarewingedgod

63rarewingedgod lover of wagons

I want to find a 'general' Ford Brown (dark) for my interior panels and was wondering if anyone has experience with their darker colors. I don't have a source local so i'm trying to use the online paint chart for reference which is no help to me. I believe the color is Med. Beige but don't know about the dark brown. If anyone has experience finding a dark brown that merc/ford might of used, or close to, let me know.

thanks

rick the fabricator

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi Rick. Here's my new bucket seat bases. That the SEMS Camel (tan) color. The Vinyl doesn't darken. the Carpet does. My original carpet was like new (no serious winter damage, since it was in Mexico for 21 years.) So I used our Bissell Carpet machine and the right cleaners, rinsed it off in the tub, let it dry for 3 days and then used the same Camel spray on it. I didn't follow the instructions and it turned out to be a nice Moca Chocolate. I like it. It gives a nice contrast to the other panels.

This is the seat bottoms:

SNDec1102.jpg

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Also, for vinyl especially. Get the SEMS degreaser and the SEMS soap! The degreaser will take off any armorall or invisible stuff that may have been dropped on it over the years. The soap makes bubbles while it eats any stuff you didn't catch.

Wash the vinyl with ordinary detergents, then use the soap, then wipe it all down with degreaser.

If you've got fabric anywhere near, you can get a soft wax or mask it off with a good masking tape to avoid spraying the fabric. If you want to do the fabric (usually nylon/polyester/rayon - AKA synthetic), it will absorb so do the vinyl first, then the fabric.

It dries much faster on vinyl, so do small areas at a time on your first two coats. No more than you can spray in 5 or 10 seconds until it flashes (dries). Then on the 3rd or more coats take a wider area, staggering the areas already done to merge the coatings. Then leave it for 12 hours. Don't touch, even to peak! Good ventilation. It's not a normal lacquer smell. There's other nasties in that stuff (naphta, ethers, etc.).

4. 63rarewingedgod

Thanks for the help guys.

Project: I'm building my third seat for the rear facing area. It was an option but i don't have the seat. It's for the May 18th show here in santa barbara.

Overview: Two seat bases that will have a maximum height of 1.75 inches total and height/width of about 36x15. Want to do a two tone vinyl and decided to do a basic cushing with an edge and maybe a piping. Will spray the material to match before the sewing process. Batting underneath will be sewed to the fabric for a simple 'lined' area where the dark brown is vertical. Rest will be that off beige color.
    I just might order some and change the whole interior color as i'm doing the new panels for the rear area and new door panels too.

5. 63rarewingedgod

Some picture of code #74 merc vinyl three tone

Here is that 'no one has an answer for me on what colors i actually have because of the non matching interior paint code' picture.

I've searched the web but now i;m just going to make new panels in colors i like.
    If i like three colors, i'll make the seats to match the bench. If not, it will just be two toned.

Attached Files:

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    This site has a lot of Factory manuals and color specs. I don't know if I sent it before, but that may nail it down:
    http://www.tocmp.com/

The seat looks like an Ivory and Dark Brown accent stripe.

I did my 1966 Corvair Monza Turbo in Naughahyde way back (Purple and Yellow seats, and new paint to match (early 1970's). I stopped more traffic cops than I want to remember. And quite a few girls, too. ;)

But, that Naughahyde is so sweet to work with, and oh so comfy. Pricey, but worth it.

Have you seen the SEMS colors? (Flexible Coatings - Color Coat or Classic Coat)
    http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?cat=34

Main page:
    http://www.sem.ws/

7. 63rarewingedgod

Thanks for the link. I have that brochure for the 63' meteor. Should of just brought that. I'm going right now to a place that has the color chart/paint. wish me luck.

rick the seat builder

8. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Man you must have one of the longest Resumes in the world!:bowdown: :evilsmile: :rofl2:

Good luck. ;)

9. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
  10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage: