What does a wagon mean/represent for you.

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Xavier, May 14, 2011.

1. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

What a station wagon means to me?

It is a reflection of the past. When neighbors knew one another, block parties WHERE block parties, families that stuck together, and there was a sense of bonding with people that was real. Things, ideals that are vanishing across the American landscape as the years pass, much like the station wagon.

The wagon states that in a rolling form. All of my wagons (and one that saved my life) shows integrity, honesty, loyalty, and a sense of security. I hit a deer about 65 MPH in my '77 Country Squire with my dog and gear coming back from college for Thanksgiving in '05. In 1997, I was hit by a gravel truck in my '81 Volvo 240 DL wagon. Each case, I was fine, no scratches or harm to me. The Volvo lost that battle but gave up its life for mine. The Ford, just a dented up grill/headlamp area.

What I love about the station wagon hobby, the people. No matter what model, year, or make. We all have the same feelings about the wagon. There is no clickish issues that you would find with some car clubs or owners. It's something like an unspoken understanding when you meet another wagon owner. Something minivan or SUV people don't truly understand. :confused:

2. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    This is very true, we're more of a like-minded group. We all like wagons, we all have our personal tastes, but don't try to make others feel bad because their personal taste is different.

Truck people I've noticed are the complete opposite. I get raked over the coals because my truck's a single cab long box. That's what I wanted. I needed a truck for utility purposes. It's a step between a car and a tractor to me and that's it. The fancy ones are pretty but not practical. Wagons are pretty AND practical. That's why I love them!

3. FordWagonNut1979

People get bent up over things SO easily. Kinda sad......

Here are a few of my wagons I have had and the '78 LTD I now have. So I have been across the board with wagons:

Here is my '78 Toyota Corolla in '00ish. Had over 200k (I think?). Bought the little guy for $200. His name was Kermit:

[​IMG]

My 1983 Volvo 240 GL I bought from a customer in '00. Sold it in '02 to go back to college (that and my '79 Town Car, I should have NEVER gotten rid of).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my currant "green" car, well one of them, the '78 Country Squire:

[​IMG]

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well said, wagnut.:D(y)

5. Ringer

Ringer New Member

I've always liked wagons, our family always had Vista Cruisers, we usually bought them one year old, cuz we couldn't afford New ones. They remind me of lazy childhood summer weekends, driving to the river to sift for arrowheads on the bank. My Dad playing Bread on the 8 track. Sitting in the rear facing third row, with a stupid smile on my face.
    Since becoming of age, I've had and still do have a lot of cars, but the one car I ALWAYS go for, is the Wagon. We tow with it, take it to dinners, run all over Hell's half acre with it. It's always ready, always there for anybody to drive it. Kinda like wearing Levi's before they were cool, I didn't do it to be cool, but now they ARE cool. Just the other day, driving up I-5 I was being quarterd by a brand new 600 class mercedes, he followed me off the freeway and got to my left. When we stopped for a light, he ran his window down, so I did too. He gave me a Huge Thumb's up and goes, "Man, that is a BADASSED WAGON!! I Love It!!" I get more compliments on it than any other car we have and it's nowhere NEAR perfect, in fact, it's kind of a beater. Probably one of the coolest things about it though is, our 16 year old daughter will walk RIGHT PAST a Millineum Yellow Zo6 to drive the Wagon. Now, THAT is cool...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I love all your cars, wagnut. I had a 77 4 door Continental (town car) with a 460 that I should never have sold either. I love kermit!:yup:

7. lowlow37

lowlow37 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    For me, the wagon is a way of standing out of the crowd.. On a carshow, or a dog competition we are always noticed. With the 455 in the mighty one, of course strrreetracing was a little more fun than running the chevelle sportscoupe too:evilsmile:

As i was young, ve had two cars, that i remeder that is.. A mazda RX7 and a euro ford wagon named Taunus with a V-6, a small car with a lot of engine, i guess it was so over-motorized so it would handle the HUGE caravan we had on the family vacations.. Or maybe my father just liked the way it would beat the wankel?

To sum it up: A wagon owner is a secure and caring guy, or gal, hwo is concerned about all the family to ride together, as safe as its possible. AND, someone hwo is a little bit vain, cuz.... There never was built a coupe that doesent look better as a wagon!

8. xxl

xxl New Member

Kewl Cali summer surf cruzin...

9. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    All I can say is that I love wagons.
    Anybody can buy a sedan or a hardtop, but why? For about the same money you can have all that ROOM, and maybe even an extra seat. And maybe even some nice wood panelling. I've had pickups, usually when we've owned campers or travel trailers, but barring that, most anything you want to do with a pickup you can do with a wagon (and occasionally a utility trailer).

Went to look at a roll-top desk this AM. Lady said it was huge, and real heavy. I didn't buy it, but I wasn't worried about getting it home if I did - I've got a WAGON.

10. kolby66

kolby66 Well-Known Member

To me and my family, a station wagon is just like a mullet, all business up front, and all party in the back:dancing:

11. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    ----------That is not just a station wagon, that is part of your family! Wish I had a car with that much of my family history. This is one reason we hang onto the old 1955 Chevy wagon. It is far from original. But when we adopted our first grandson, he spent many hours in that "playpen" without seats, interior, or glass, as I worked on it and babysitted him. At five he was helping me put bolts through the dash and firewall where four hands worked better than two...Even though they we small hands. Steven won't let me sell that 55 Chevy. He is the caretaker of it now. Hey, I do have some memories of our wagon!

12. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    FWN....if Hallmark ever needs a wagon CARD...you get my vote:yup:
    darn near poetry...:thumbs2:

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    The Death of the Wagon

The station wagon as we know it died. But it was replaced by the mini-van. Then along came a pickup without a box diguised as an SUV. I don't know what those new things are now, but sure look like some are station wagons again. Perhaps our grandkids will know the verstility and fun of driving a real station wagon again, no matter what they call it. Sadly I fell into that rut of selling my first wagon and buying trucks to pull our RV trailers. The wagon would have done as well with heavier springs. :disagree:We also owned a VW squareback. Don't know what it was called. I had other names for it that I can't repeat here!:lolup: What we really love about our 1955 Chevy wagon is most outside the car circuit have no idea how old it is or even what it is. They are used to the new cookie cutter cars.

14. a1awind

a1awind Tiki God

Wagon Garage:
    a wagon to me.... well i think CE put it best. its a statement that you believe in values and a way of life that is (but should not be ) in the past.
    The way things were done when they were done right.

back when they "built them like they used to".

back when you could go into a diner and have an honest to goodness conversation with a random person.

back when you knew your neighbors.

back when it wasn't weird or creepy to stop to give a random person on the highway assistance.

15. FordWagonNut1979

Thanks Rev! :)