Need some opinions

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by kolby66, Apr 30, 2011.

  1. kolby66

    kolby66 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2011
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    52
    Location:
    az
    The wagon I am looking at is a classic not the American.
     
  2. KevinVarnes

    KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2010
    Messages:
    3,366
    Likes Received:
    407
    Trophy Points:
    210
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Just my opinion from spending most of my time with oddball or at least non mainstream cars. You will more than likely make up the initial price difference in trying to restore the interior on the AMC. Without doing any research I can almost guarantee there is no aftermarket availability of interior parts which means you will be relegated to NOS or nice used interior parts. I also have no concept of early 60's Pontiac parts availability, but I'm certain it is better than for the AMC.

    I think both cars look cool in their own way. Although after looking at the posted pics of the '62 my money would be on the Pontiac. I'm all about building something different from the next guy. In this case, I think the Pontiac wagon is different enough that no one else will have one at a local car show or cruise.
     
  3. mercedeswagon

    mercedeswagon New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2011
    Messages:
    70
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Who cares if they run ? at 40 years old they will need work anyway at those prices. I would budget for engine work ,trans work and diff overhual. Add a brake overhaul and you are into 4 figures. If any of the pontiac trim is too badly damaged or missing ,count on another couple of grand. At least Rambler stuff tends to be cheap . Dont forget a new radiator too. and i still haven't mentioned some body work to tidy them up. :wave:
     
  4. kolby66

    kolby66 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2011
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    52
    Location:
    az
    I would like to let you see some pictures but I am unable to get them here.
     
  5. silverfox

    silverfox New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    16,780
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Tell us why you are unable to get them here, Kolby....someone may be able to help. Pix would really make a big difference.
     
  6. kolby66

    kolby66 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2011
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    52
    Location:
    az
    I dont have a http for them I only have everything on my computer in my pictures
     
  7. silverfox

    silverfox New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    16,780
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Soooo....why can't you post them here? I'm NOT good at this but I'm hoping that someone that is good at it will help. Can someone help Kolby get his pix from his puter to this thread?
    Anyone?
     
  8. oldmopar

    oldmopar Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    Messages:
    120
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    52
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    NJ
    below the reply box is additional options from there hit the manage attachments button and you can upload from your computer but take note of the required size
     
  9. teej

    teej Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2006
    Messages:
    730
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    75
    Location:
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    I am completely biased so my opinion may not be worth much... But I'd definitely, definitely, go with the Pontiac. No contest really. Sure the AMC is a cute little wagon, but not what I'd picture myself driving around long term. The Pontiac, on the other hand, I'd say is a keeper. I like the size better, I like the styling better, I like the V8 better (mileage be dammed), and I think you'd be more likely to get some of your investment back on the Pontiac. And like people have said, unless the wife is going to be the major driver of it, get what you want and you'll be happier.

    Heck, just bargain with them and buy both!
     
  10. Eagle Freek

    Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1,547
    Likes Received:
    72
    Trophy Points:
    128
    Location:
    Fayetteville, TN/Manchester, TN
    Why are you narrowed down to just those two cars? There are many wagons for sale do to the economy. You may be able to find something in better condition for the same price or a little more. You may save a few bucks on the initial purchase but could spend money exponentially rebuilding it.
     
  11. silverfox

    silverfox New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    16,780
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Very good point.(y)
     
  12. Bigbarneycars

    Bigbarneycars Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1,058
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    SE Michigan
    Very good point?

    One last point 66. Most of us gotz BETTER HALVEZ with emphisis on the BETTER. They love us, support us in all our quests and when they join us at the show 'n shine and smile lovingly and say nothing they'd really rather be at the MALL with the VISA CARD;) IN 98% OF THE CASEZ, IT'LL BE FUNERAL @ 10:00 AUCTION @ 2 P.M. W/ BEER AND SANDWITCHEZ PROVIDED:49: SORRY FANNIE, YOUZ PART AH THE 2%:D
     
  13. the Rev

    the Rev senior junior Charter Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Messages:
    9,329
    Likes Received:
    54
    Trophy Points:
    232
    Wagon Garage:
    3
    Location:
    BC,canada
    ....duh.....buy both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    1 for you ....1 for her...(y)

    ..geez....do i have to do all the thunkin around here....:rofl::rofl:
     
  14. builder

    builder New Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    lincoln county
    Bonneville
     
  15. tbirdsps

    tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Messages:
    5,340
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Ridgecrest, Ca.
    Rambler (y)
     

Share This Page