English dude

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by MUDDS, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MUDDS

MUDDS New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi everyone.
    Found this forum on one of my many web searches on woodgrain. I have always loved the woodgrained stationwagon but living in England the closest I have ever come to it are estate cars.
    I am in the process of ordering pillar post covers in woodgrain as a sort of modern twist on the beautiful stationwagon.
    I have in the past made enquiries into buying woodgrain sticker sheets to apply to my car , just because I love the look.
    I have white wheel rim stickers on my alloys, as psuedo white wall tyres, (the last white wall rings I had fitted warped off the front wheels on the way home from the tyre place).
    We regularly visit NUSA, the last time June last year for a months road trip.
    Anyway, I love the whole whitewall tyre woodgrain sides stationwagon style and am regularly abused for it here in England.
    MUDDS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the wagon train, MUDDS.

3. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. I always thought the Cortina Squire was the best looking of the British woody wagons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome, MUDDS.

Check out our 'Woodgrain' sub-section for some help with woodgrain.

As a practical matter, I would say that if you can find some of the correct woodgrain vinyl in a bulk roll, it would be possible for you to get it onto your vehicle, even if no one had a pre-cut kit for it. You would have to get some large sheets of stiff construction paper to make templates, tape the templates to the panels then mark them. (Simply flip the template over for the opposite side). The moldings that go around the woodgrain as a border should be easy to source. We have aftermarket companies here in the U.S. that supply all kinds of moldings. You could get a 'chrome' finish, a contrasting brown color from the woodgrain, or you may even be able to find woodgrain trim moldings.

Good luck. Hope you enjoy it here!

Marshall

5. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello MUDD...sweet little wagon...welcome aboard.:)

6. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome:to the wagon train, mudd. Gotta love a guy that goes against the grain (pun intended) and does it his way!(y)

7. MUDDS

MUDDS New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the welcome.

Attached Files:

8. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: Mudd

I'd like one of those Cortinas too.. they never got over here tho

9. MUDDS

MUDDS New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cortina

My friend at college had a MK11 Cortina estate, I thought I was doing better with a MK111 Cortina XL, wish I'd have kept that somewhere stored up.

My family estate was a Montego 7 seater, I thought it was similar (in a UK sort of way) to the US Stationwagons, nice and roomy, roof rails, flat dash etc. We wore the first one out (Austin) and then got a Rover Montego becuase we liked them so much, they would have looked good with woodgrian down the sides, in the concave horizontal of the bodywork.

The first one is an Austin Montego and the second one a Rover Montego. My Austin was red and then the Rover was light Metallic blue.

Attached Files:

10. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

At least you English folks have more wagon choices. It seems us Americans have rejected wagons. Volvo won't even send them over here anymore.

11. MUDDS

MUDDS New Member

Wagon Garage:
    In the last year and a half or so there has been a promotion run by the government allowing a £2000 discount on any new car by parting a 10 year old vehicle.
    This has cleared an awful lot of the old vehicles off the road, it was a scrappage scheme and the 10 year old vehicle was, well, scrapped.

There is a lot of new vehicles on the road now, but not a lot of class.

I love the older stationwagons, woodsiding, front bench seats, big white steering wheel, column change and the rear hatch electric rolling window.

Harry and the Hendersons is a movie I love, due mostly to the stationwagon that hits him and damages it. Then John Lithgoe says " You try to keep a classic....".

MUDDS

12. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just a word, Mudds - Your Kia Carens is sold here in the states as a Kia Rondo. Quite a little charmer she is. Haven't been in one, but I certainly wouldn't kick one out of my garage. I think they're available with a 2 liter 4-pot or a 2.7 V6 IIRC......

[​IMG]

13. MUDDS

MUDDS New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Rondo

car_in_miami.jpg
    Hi.

Yes, that was one of the reasons we bought it. I have ordered stuff from the US for it, including the "wooden " dash kit and soon the "wood" grain pillar posts.

One was actually used as a New York taxi cab. I cannot afford to drive a good old 3 0r 4L US stationwagon here in the UK ( Gas is £6 a gallon now), but driving a vehicle that is available in the US or Canada (where we have been as well) and then seeing it driven in front of you when we are road tripping there gives us a buzz-"Look, our car", yes silly I know but we love it. We did consider a PT Cruiser, just because of the wood side panels available for it. I have been scouring the US sites for the wood side graphic for the Rondo but I suppose that now they are discontinuing it in the States, nothing will be produced now.

MUDDS

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011