Just thinking out loud......

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Krash Kadillak, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Trolling out here on the great dubba-dubba-dubba.....

Has anyone thought of:
    Phase 1: Taking a Buick Roadmaster wagon, and bolting on a Cadillac Fleetwood front clip from the same vintage?
    Phase 2: Put in the Caddy dash, and maybe a center console / floor shift from an Impala SS?
    Phase 3: Caddy quarter panels and rear bumper?

(Kind of like a hearse conversion, without the extra length)

2. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    what vintage are speakin ??
    some of the Buick grills are way cooler than the Cad....
    ....need to get a visual(y)

3. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    '95-ish. I was thinking more of having a 'Cadillac wagon' rather than just the 'look' of the Caddy front end.

4. elwoody1973

elwoody1973 Crazy for Clamshells

i believe he is talking about the 1991-1996 gm b-body station wagons. the fleetwood was built off of the same body, but stretched slightly, and so it was called the d-body. there have been people who have done this modification. i have seen pictures of a couple of roadmaster or caprice wagons that had the fleetwood clip put on them. it is a pretty cool idea. although i dont know of one that has gone to the lengths that you describe. i dont know if any one of these wagons also had the caddy rear end grafted onto it, or had the caddy dash put in. because the caddy is stretched a bit more than the wagon, it takes a fair amount of modification to the caddy front clip in order to mount it on a wagon, which is part of the reason why i think it is a rare modification to see. much more so than someone with a buick roadmaster wagon who puts the roadmaster sedan front clip on the wagon. i also think this is a very cool mod. this one is easier to do because everything basically bolts right up, save for having to relocate/remount some parts which get bolted onto the inner fender wells in the engine compartment, as well as switching out the bumper brackets, to ones that would support the sedan front bumper.

but anyway, this modification has been done before, and it is a very cool thing to do, in my opinion. if i ever have enough money, and the necessary fabrication skills, this would be one car i would love to build myself. here is the one picture i have of one of these fleetwood wagons. there were other pictures of a pink one, but i imagine that spending some time google searching would dig up some more pics.

Attached Files:

5. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, elwoody1973. That's just the kind of info I was looking for. Wasn't sure whether it would be a easy bolt-on replacement, or whether there would be problems. Good to know about the RM sedan front end too. Always thought it looked better than the wagon.

6. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

Put a Tiki Grill in it.:whistle: :biglaugh:

7. elwoody1973

elwoody1973 Crazy for Clamshells

yeah, no problem. i have no problem with the standard roadmaster wagon front end, but if i had to choose how i wanted the front end of that car to look, i would go with the roady sedan front end. it is just bolder, and a more handsome design that just says buick much more than the other one. because, with the standard front end all you have to do is switch out the grill and the bumper cover and youve made it into a chevy! i dont really have a problem with this mod, but it just doesnt make sense to me why anyone would down grade their car from a buick to a chevy. i know a lot of people like the SS look, but still! maybe this is just because i prefer buicks to chevys. lol.

oh, and another thing, if you are a big fan of these b and d body gm cars, a great forum that you should be aware of is impalassforum.com. it is a great online community and they leave no car left behind. there is a separate part of the forum for the wagons, the caprices, the caddys, and the roadmaster sedans. i am a member of this forum and they really are a great bunch of guys, although i mainly just talk with the wagon guys, lol!

-bob