Windows 7 *fakes* *beware*

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by MagNite, Oct 26, 2010.

1. MagNite

MagNite New Member

Okay, so I decided to go from Windows XP to Windows 7 64 bit. I wanted to go to the 64 bit system so I could use more than 4 GB's of memory. (I'm now using 8 gb's with an Intel quad core. Newegg rocks. Got the memory for 1/2 what it would've cost at Best buy). Well when I looked at prices for the professional version, it was about $300. Ouch. So I went on Ebay and got it from a seller for $139. Hmmm. I was like "why is it so cheap?" But I've gotten amazing deals from Ebay over the years and this guy had a 100% rating. So I bought it. It came. Everything about the package looked genuine. Was sealed in shrink wrap and all. Installed it. It worked. Validated it on Microsofts website. It validated. Okay says I, everything seems to be on the up and up. Yeahhhh!. Then I get a couple of messages from 2 other Ebay members warning me that it could be a potential fake. (Thanks guys!) So I called a Microsoft representitive and talked to her and described waht was on the label. Yup it is fake. A damn good one. Here's what happens with a fake: It will validate through Microsofts website. But after awhile. Could be weeks, could be up to 6 months, the code will invalidate, and you will not be able to get any more updates from Microsoft. Not sure if it will stop working altogether, but in addition, some of the fakes have imbedded malware in them. Thankfully mine didn't. The Microsoft representitive told me that like 90% of the bargain Windows 7 you will come across is fake. I guess there is a big pirate operation going on.

Here are some pictures of fake labels. Mine looks just like the 1st one:

http://img188.imageshack.us/f/coa1.jpg/

Here is the email from one of the Ebay members which explains it:

"All counterfeits pass validation just fine because they're using an evaluation MSDN Technet key.

This is a temporary key, they only last about 5 months or so until Microsoft Blocks these keys & we loose everything.

Do a Google search for '' illegal msdn keys ebay '' to learn more about this.

MSDN keys are from a developer subscriber account, only the owner of the subscriber account can use those keys, & those types of keys are never sold in FULL RETAIL BOX Windows 7.

The forgers are using those keys to make their counterfeit forgeries pass Validation just long enough to get away with our cash.

Again, Call Microsoft, read about it all over the internet.

Don't take my word for it."

...and another:

"Then it's counterfeit. Windows WGA will pass fine becase as I was saying they use a temporary evaliation MSDN key which is illegal & will fail in less than 5 months.

Call Microsoft to confirm everything I say, don't take my word for it, Please Call Microsoft Anti-Piracy Hotline @ 1-800-RU-LEGIT (1-800-785-3448) & ask them to confirm what you have is genuine.

Also do this to check for yourself:

If Win 7 is already installed & Activated:
    (If not, you can also use a free tool called PIDX Key checker)

1.) Press Windows+Pause keys (both)
    2.) Product ID located under: "Windows activation".
    3.) Example: XXXXX-YYY-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

If -YYY- is close to:
    W7 Ultimate = -065- -066- -067- -068- etc.
    W7 Professional = -220- -221- etc.

then it's an Illegal evaluation msdn Key, found on ebay for as little as $18. It will fail down the road at some point.

MS blocks this type of key & we loose our $$.

Again, Please Call Microsoft Anti-Piracy Hotline @ 1-800-RU-LEGIT 1-800-785-3448 to confirm everything.

Google the phrase: '' illegal msdn keys ebay '' to learn more about this.

GENUINE EXAMPLES:
    -OEM- = OEM
    -177- = Retail PRO FPP
    -292- = Retail Ultimate FPP
    -152- = Retail Upgrade PRO

To find out if your copy is genuine, call 1-800-RU-LEGIT."

So what can you do if you find out yours is fake? Microsoft is offering a discount on a genuine key. I bought one last night for $160. I paid over the phone and they sent it through my email and put the key in my computer. A simple 2 minute process. I will also be receiving actual discs in the mail from Microsoft. Here is the number to call to get the discount: Genuine windows 1-866-530-6599

Good luck!

2. wixom61

wixom61 Well-Known Member

Yep, way back in feb, my computer got some malware probs, so i took it to some guy off craigslist to have it fixed. He ended up changing me from vista to windows 7. Big mistake! I now get at least 3 different alert popups every 20 minutes telling its fake. Drives me crazy! David : (

3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    :mad: You try to trust people and this happens :(

It is amazing how things can be fixed...over the internet...:49:

Good luck with it now :)

4. MagNite

MagNite New Member

If you haven't tried it yet, I recommend Malewarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I've uesd the free version for months. So have other people I know. Magazines such as PC Magazine rate it highly also. Theres no adware or anything built into it so it's safe. It removed a registry infection once that my Bitdefender antivirus couldn't. Of course it won't do anything about your Microsoft problem, that's something else altogether. My advice is for anyone thinking of going to Windows 7 is to just check that seal against the picture link I provided. especially if buying online. if the vendor doesn't have a good clear picture of the seal, ask for one. Also i recommend buying the professional version (blue box) over the premium version (green box) because you are getting that XP mode. I'm still able to run old 32 bit PC games such as Medal of honor (2003) even though I went to the 64 bit version of Windows 7.

5. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good info guys. I'm still driving WinXP Pro 32-bit. I saw that there's already an SP1 for Win7 on the main MS page, but I'll wait until the house renos are down, in case this machine gets damaged via dust and stuff.

So with 8 Gigs of RAM, does yours do a lot of choking/buffering on streaming media?

6. MagNite

MagNite New Member

I haven't really had a chnace to really try it out under all conditions yet. trying to get my $$$ back off Fleabay. The seller that sold it to me wants to argue that it IS a genuine copy of Windows even though I already talked to Microsofts representitive (anti-piracy hotline) and described the label to her and SHE said it was fake. Just the fact that the label says "MADE IN THE U.S.A." makes it a fake.

Only real problem I had after going to the 64 bit system is that the sound started getting whacky on certain applications. I had a Creative Sound blaster X-FI card and eventhough they have 64 bit drivers you can download I still had problems. Seems a lot of people with Creative cards had the same problem. Bad drivers is what I heard. So I removed the card and went to onboard video until my new sound card I ordered comes in the mail.

I'm going to re-load my Microsoft flight simulator X and try it on that. It's pretty much what i built my computer to run mostly. I kept upgrading my video card to try to get it to run at 100% Think I can now. I'm using an Nvidea 250 GTS card. That simulator is a monster compared to flight sim 2004. You really have to have a good system and a good video card to be able to even run it smoothly.

7. 350x

350x 'Echinsu Ocha'

What all did MS ask or want to know about the fake?

Could I fake having a fake and get a copy of 7 cheap???

hehehehehe