Is my wagon a wagon?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Poison_Ivy, Sep 22, 2018.

?

Is this a wagon or just a long-roofed something else?

1. Of course, it's

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Definitely not

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Not sure

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. It's a small- bus or van

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. Other vehicle type

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. I don't care. It's not mine anyway

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I just got home with this from the Netherlands. It's a Daihatsu MOVE with an 850 cc engine which is about as long as a sewing machine and even sort of sounds like one. The car is light and economical.
    The radio is the only option that I can see. And it doesen't look original. Nowadays, you can't get a small car without A/C, power- steering and door locks. This has none of that. Which is exactly what I wanted. It even has a normal fan belt and only one.
    I'm not sure if it's a wagon, mini- van or bus. Some might even say it's a 5-door hatchback, if the rear door didn't swing open to the side. What do you think?

NL_R.jpg
    NL_L.jpg
    NL_HL.jpg
    It suffers Glaucoma, on its left eye :beaten:

NL_V.jpg

NL_VL.jpg

NL_VR.jpg

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm going with "people mover". :D

Kinda cool, in a perverse way. Nice city commuter car, however. I'd take this over a (not so) Smart car any day.

ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  3. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I'm going to call it an "Extended Cab Sedan", just to be different. :)

ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    People, don't be afraid to vote on the poll. It's set up to where nobody can see who voted what. I'll go first, just to prove it.
    I was browsing it over, today, and found a rotten rubber bushing at where the combination trailing arm/anti-rool bar connects to the lower control arm. I was wondering why it clattered over bumps. I'm ordering a complete set, since it's only a matter of time until the others rot. New filters will also get ordered.
    The belt was replaced. But, the car wasn't taken back to the shop for post break-in tightening.
    The clutch needed adjustment. But, the tools I brought with me were incomplete. So, I did it today and now it shifts properly. The nutty lady probably got told it needed a clutch. So, she must have gotten scared enough to want to off it. The clutch is indeed stiff. So, either she or the previous owner baked the pressre plate springs, through riding it. It's annoying. But, not urgent. I won't mess with it, until at least next summer. She has poor driving habits. She revs the engine high, before shifting and that's with not letting the engine warm up. She accidently shifted it into reverse a couple times, while driving and I'm surprised that it still goes into reverse without problem.
    The foam on the driver's seat is worn to the point where backaches show up. So, that's one job I'll definitely do before winter. The foam in the passenger seat is still like new. So, I'll simply swap them.
    The oil leak looks like it might originate at the distributor housing. But, it's minor. I'll blast it off, at the quarter car wash and then try to detect the source.
    The battery mount looks shade treed. It's likely that the replacement involved a battery of which they had in stock. But, wasn't to original specs. The crud needs blasting off, in order to prevent trickle voltage short circuitry

NL_Leak.jpg

NL_Engine.jpg

NL_Batt.jpg

Grizz likes this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Here's what'll determine if it's a wagon or not: does the rear seat fold? If not, wacky sedan. If so, wacky wagon.

Wagonrodder, ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, the rear seats fold out of the way forward. Being compact as it is, the headrests have to come off first and the seats moved far forward, which includes moving the front seats also forward first

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I like it! What year is it? I’m calling it a mini-mini van. I voted. There need to be more poles. Fun stuff.

wagonman76, ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    It's a '98. One year older than the Audi I just sold. This one has comparitively little rust. I showed the lady where all the crud collects, by scraping it off of the inner fender.
    I'm afraid to drive it, because if it gets wrecked, there's little chance of finding one in this good a shape. Over here, nowadays, they just give driver's licenses to anybody.
    It's been Bodoed in the same place, on the other side. But, well done to the point to where it didn't show up in the ad photo

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    How can I vote on something that has two opposite questions in it?

"Is this a wagon or just a long-roofed something else?"

Its clearly two opposite. I can think its a wagon. If so then its not a "something else".

Answering with alternative 1: Of course, it's.
    Does that indicate I think its a wagon? Or do I think its something else?

Answering with alternative 2: Definitely not
    Gives the same train of thought. I could think its definitely not a long-roofed something...

Saturday evening... So sorry about the above.

ModelT1, Grizz and Poison_Ivy like this.
  10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    There's always the "other type vehicle" selection. Which throws any alternate possibilities into all directions, like when a pearl necklace breaks, sending the pearls flying into everywhere :shocked:

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's not a wagon*, but I like it! Kinda cute......

*The area behind the back seat just isn't large enough to call it a station wagon. If the quarter side glass is longer than it is tall, you MIGHT be able to call it a 'wagon'.

wagonman76, ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  12. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    It certainly isn't a wagon, when having known vintage ones. Well, I guess I have lost my privilege of being able to post in the "What have you done on your wagon today?" thread.
    I had a choice of getting three well-known whatevers of this type. Either what Suzuki calls a Wagon R+. In fact, I almost bought one, until the seller didn't answer my prerequisite that I needed all proof of maintenance, before I buy it. I like the dash on the Suzuki better. But, not the standard 4-cylinder. If I'm not mistaken, Suzuki ceased production of their 3-cylinder engine, before this model went into production.
    It doesen't matter, anyway, because I have plans about personalizing the instrument panel on my bread and butter Daihatsu

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The third choice would have been a Ford Fusion of which is built on a Fiesta chassis. But, they're known to be somewhat thirsty, unless you get a Diesel, and have inherent problems in certain areas. Diesels are taxed heavily and are only worth driving, if you drive them often

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    My father-in-law has an old Ford Kuga. He is very happy with that car. Low cost of maintenance and gasoline. He also owns a VW Golf. Says it was the biggest mistake ever buying it. Maintenance/repairs are through the roof and VW doesn't care at all.

14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I think, we have Kugas here, also. I don't know what they're named, for the German market, though.
    The hitch weighs almost as much as the car itself. It's portable, though, and has a lock. I'll photograph it tomorrow. Here's where it goes

NL_Trailerhitch.jpg

Now, for the rear door

NL_Klappe.jpg

NL_Klappe_Hint.jpg

And the popped hood

NL_Haube.jpg

ModelT1 likes this.
  15. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

The rear seats can fold, but are they easily removable?