64 chevelle wagon fuel tank

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Mikeg, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Mikeg

Mikeg New Member

I'm putting a new fuel tank in my 64 Malibu wagon. My question is - does this tank have straps over the top of the tank as well as the 2 cross braces that run from side to side ? It would seem to me there should be something to hold the tank secure to the braces to keep from moving around. I'm new at this so any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have GM shop manual illustrations of the tank installation ?
    Thanks for your input, Mike

2. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wish i could help you...just did the tank in my 68 mercury but thats no help to you...mine had one strap under the tank and one corner of the tank bolted to a bracket attached to the rear bumper bracket to help support the weight and make things more solid....are you replacing your old tank with a new one? new ones are nearly impossible to find for most of us...good luck and document your install with photos for us if you can!

3. Smee78

Smee78 Member

Wagon Garage:
    So how did your tank swap come out? The 64/54 Chevelle/Malibu wagons can use the El Camino tanks so we get lucky.

4. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mine came out just under $800 bucks hehe..counting shipping to and from the company i considered the best to rebuild it, no reproductions or used ones in the bone yard were available for mine so i was lucky to even have one that could be fixed..no sending units were available either so i used a later model Torino unit that was available by shortening the pick up and float, guess the cost was not that bad as i will never have to worry about the tank again...did you get yours installed?

5. Mikeg

Mikeg New Member

6. Mikeg

Mikeg New Member

After searching around, my friend - Wagoninsane sent me info from '65 Olds wagon that cleared up my dilemma.
    Showing the tank sitting on the cross braces with straps over the top being held in place and secured with bolt/nut combination. This makes sense when you have the pieces in place. Since then, I ran the new fuel line, hooked everything up, put in 5 gallons of fuel and she fired up after about 8 seconds of cranking---Yee Ha !

Smee78 likes this.
  7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Woo Hoo! Of course, check to make sure there are no fuel seepages, even if you don't smell raw fuel.

8. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Mike, is the projected cruise for this summer still on track?.....Longroofs Rule!

9. Mikeg

Mikeg New Member

Still on track, on our way to Fla arriving Mon 2/7. Bushnell swap meet next weekend, looking for wheels. Thanks Deane for the fuel tank info.

10. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    No problem Mike, hope your trip to Florida is enjoyable and you find some great treasures at the swap meet! Can't wait to see your longroof this spring cruising down the road!....Longroofs Rule!

11. wagoninsane

Wagon Garage:
    Oh by the way Mike if you see some cool stuff at the meet, share some pictures.