1980 Chevrolet Citation on BAT - Chicago, IL

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jim535, Nov 23, 2021.

1. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
  2. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Looks like it has been hiding in Grandpa's garage in SD a long time. ;)[​IMG]

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    God watching that video made me think Michigan Ave hasn’t had a decent ‘81 Citation on it since 1985. My dad had a company car just like this with the red under molding color and a red interior. What were we thinking?

4. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

A Chevy Crustacean!

Ya know, the packaging on these cars is all right - roomy and good visibility, etc. Too bad the rest is like ten miles of bad road....

60Mercman likes this.
  5. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

You almost never saw these with the standard wheels & Dog Dish caps.Also the few I drove with the 2.4 Iron Duke made me miss the Smooth running? 2.8 V6 my sisters car had. She had a non X/11 2-Door with bucket seats and a 4-speed manual. I am sure worse shifters were made, but even new it was hard to tell if you shifted into 2nd or 4th from 1st before you let out the clutch.
    I really disliked driving her car, we swapped a few times for a week or so as it got much better gas mileage than my 69 GTO, and I was a poor ex serviceman trying to finish his FAA A&P testing and it required me driving 3 hours one way to the nearest testing site. I don't think the V6 was any faster than the Iron Duke, but it had more torque and didn't vibrate as much as the rentals I drove with the Duke.
    This car has been hiding inside its entire life, neither the package shelf or the carpeting has turn Green? from the sun. What a strange color combo with the rd and white exterior and tan interior. I would have expected the red version of this interior in the car.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    60Mercman likes this.
  6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I remember that it seemed like these things were everywhere when I was a kid. I always thought they were a little funny looking, but I didn't dislike them. This one looks like it is quite well preserved. A true time capsule.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yeah, I remember when these 'X' body cars first debuted; GM was hanging a lot on them, but as throwaway work cars. You don't see many any more simply because the build and material qualities had yet to arrive.

8. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My neighbor's wife had one of these when I was growing up, just like this except no 2-tone paint. She died of cancer young and the car just sat in the driveway rusting away for almost a decade. I've driven one of them and wow, cammerjeff is not lying as the 4 cylinder iron duke was just a bleh experience. The only thing it did well was fuel economy compared to a v8 - everything else about it sucked.

60Mercman likes this.