1977 Buick Estate Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Hmm, LeSabre trim level and Olds 350 powered? :confused:

Seller did a good job preparing it for sale and on the ad :camera:.

3. patrick80

patrick80 Wagonista!

Wagon Garage:
    The wheel covers make this look like a hearse or a government car, somehow.

4. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's the first time I've seen headlights like that. I know Buicks have slanted ones, But those ones below the slanted lights make it look... At the moment I'm not sure what to say.

But it looks like a chocolate pringle-shaped chip. Shaped like a station wagon. With headlights.

Or am I just in the mood for food?

5. jwdtenn

Oddly optioned Buick. Stripper exterior but with velour interior and six-way power driver seat but no other power accessories.

[​IMG]

6. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The "Estate Wagon" badges appear to be too far forward and too low.

7. jwdtenn

Actually too high - the 'Estate Wagon' badges should align horizontally with the back-up lamps on the quarter-panels!

[​IMG]

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Not to mention the "sideways" Buick flag emblem on the tailgate :coffee:..........what's the doodad just ahead of the rad overflow tank in the underhood picture? :confused:

Someone was pretty :naughty: in reattaching the trim pieces it seems.

9. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I am pretty sure that's the compressor for the load leveling suspension.

[​IMG]

Don't know what year they started putting it behind the battery, but below pic is from a 84 Buick Estate wagon.

[​IMG]

10. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen a Buick wagon from this era without the center chrome strip down the hood with the hood ornament. Makes the car look very odd. The quarter panel name plates are definitely in the wrong place. I agree this seems like a very odd duck with the lack of options and the Olds 350.

11. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

Something it up with the equipment on this one. I have a funny feeling that the seats are out of a different car, but happen to be the right colour. The paint stripe is also either after market or dealer installed, as that was not a factory option. The springs are needing attention, as the front looks like it has sagged. That front end was the standard Buick for 77/78 on the LeSabre. This in one very bare bones wagon, and I would love to know how much rust was fixed, and how, before this paint was done. Certainly it was not reassembled with great care, or the trim would be in the correct places. The price is extremely high for the condition and equipment on the car. I have a feeling the seller will own this car for quite a while.

12. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

Standard for 77/78 LeSabre? I can't say I've seen any without it, except for this one. My '78 LeSabre EW has it, but I guess maybe it was a trim option:huh:

Attached Files:

13. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

I really doubt it was a trim option, the hood ornament and hood chrome strip if that is what you are referring too. I'm guessing this was removed before the re-paint for some reason.

Other than the as mentioned bad re-installment of the emblem on the tail gate witch can be fixed no problem, the only thing I don't like and I noticed before other posters was the placement of the quarter panel emblems.....

I personally hate tan cloth/velour/vulgar interior (others totally hate red etc, witch is my favorite) but I could totally live with tan inside on this one, if it comes from another wagon well all the better than vinyl. IMO we could have seen this wagon re-done in complete butchery complete with bling bling wheels and who knows what else? It's (minus the rear quarter emblem placement) a nice clean looker, yet we don't know what is under the paint, that I will agree on. Over all, I like the bare bones look. Being painted dark give me a better idea how my 87 will look after I remove the wood trim, chrome, and paint in it's solid colour . pinstripe gives me some ideas also. Good to know people won't like mine, oh well and I couldn't care:tiphat: but I'm making it for me. This brown beast, yeah I like it and it's inspiring:yup:

14. PineBox

PineBox Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My '77 had the 'plain Jane' original wheel covers when I bought it. Someone gave me a pretty good set of wire wheel covers and that helped in the looks dept.
    My car has 'sweat O matic' vinyl seats, and no load leveling suspension.
    More '77 Estate Wagons, about 60-65% IIRC, came with the Oldsmobile 403 than with the Buick 350.
    The LeSabre Estate Wagons were not as nice as the earlier and later Electra based cars.
    The "hidden" turn/parking lamps are one of the few things that set the Buick box apart from its other GM siblings.
    My car was treated by Zeibart to prevent rust, a pretty common dealer profit maker back in the day.
    It has done its job well except for a couple of small places they missed.
    [​IMG]

The car in the ad has obviously been repainted.
    My car had some of the wood trim removed, and some of it just painted over. :(
    It looks as if this car was treated better.
    I just don't like the color much though.
    Maybe with some Buick Rallye Wheels and some creative striping it wouldn't look so much like a Butterfinger on wheels....
    Interesting trivia "factoid": The chrome headlight buckets and door handles are the same as used on a Camaro.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  15. PineBox

PineBox Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Notice the rib topped with a chrome strip running the length of the hood, fronted by a stand up Buick emblem.
    [​IMG]

Maybe the car in the ad has a hood from another GM car, like a Chevy or an Olds?
    Or maybe it's from a later model?
    The seat upholstery pattern and square buttons look correct.
    My car has a tailgate door from a later model. The only giveaway is the third brake light in the center. 1977 cars didn't have that.

The car in the ad has manual wind up windows, no remote mirrors, no roof rack.
    No litter box on the rt. kick panel. No space for the optional clock on the passenger side of the dash.
    My car has two small lights on the gas gauge, where it reads 'unleaded fuel only'. One is marked 'economy', the other is just there for symmetry, I guess. This car does not have that feature.
    No bumper guards.
    Cruise control? We dunno.
    It's pretty plain for a Buick.
    We don't get to see the third seat, if it has one.
    The seller welcomes offers, I wonder what it would take?
    Even as plain as it is, it would make a good driver for someone...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014